snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > The Doctor Is In

Old 22 August 2016, 02:11 AM

Icon102

What's commonly called face blindness has many different causes and manifests in many ways. It doesn't necessarily mean one can't recognise any faces at all any more than colour blindness means someone can't see colour.
Old 22 August 2016, 02:17 AM

True, Ganz. I think that's one reason studying it is so interesting.

-- I do usually learn to recognize people to some extent, especially in context, if I'm around them a great deal. And a few people I can recognize with very little practice; but I don't know what it is that makes some faces more recognizable to me than others -- I'm not even sure if it is something about the face, or if some people give off more other cues to me than others.

There do seem to be some people who have no facial recognition at all -- they can't recognize their own faces in a mirror, or, say, their own mothers even though they see them every day. Whatever it is, I don't have it that badly.
Old 22 August 2016, 02:26 AM

Augmented reality will allow even people with severe face blindness to interact with others normally. The technology is already a reality; it's just a matter of getting it to the people who want it.
Old 22 August 2016, 07:30 AM

Whalephant

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
For me, it's more like: I can see the face while I'm looking at it.

The moment I look away? It's gone.
Yeah, this is true for me unless it's a rare face that just takes. Over time I will hopefully "learn" the pattern of their face but even then... I have huge problems with those "how would this figure look in profile/from behind/etc" that you find in online IQ tests as well and have always wondered if they were related.
Old 22 August 2016, 01:15 PM

Quote:
But if you can't recognize faces, you can't remember them for a memory test, either.

It would be more like trying to pick out a particular Rubik's Cube pattern if all the colors looked alike to you; or if the colors refused to stay in your memory as soon as you weren't looking at them. -- in my case, for that test, it was more like both of those. In the first place, I saw very little difference between the faces, even while I was still looking at the photos. Most of them could easily have all been of the same person, as far as I could tell. In the second place, I can't memorize the faces in the photos in the ordinary sense, because when I'm not looking at the photo any longer the face in it is gone from my memory. I had to do things like try to recite to myself 'there's one with a cleft chin. there's one that looks a little more female, I don't know why. does one have a longer nose, maybe? is that the same one as the one with the cleft chin?' and by the time I'd gotten that far the pictures had been removed, and I still hadn't figured out whether cleft-chin also had a longer nose or not.

ETA: also, apparently to people with normal face perception none of them looked at all female. So there may be something I'm not seeing at all in those pictures, however hard I look.
Thanks for the insight, it's neat to learn about the different ways our minds work

Quote:
-- I do usually learn to recognize people to some extent, especially in context, if I'm around them a great deal. And a few people I can recognize with very little practice; but I don't know what it is that makes some faces more recognizable to me than others -- I'm not even sure if it is something about the face, or if some people give off more other cues to me than others.
I experience this too. I think part of the reason I did well on this was because I was actively trying to remember distinct faces. Same goes for when I'm at work or school, where it matters that I remember who's who. But if I don't have to do that, I easily conflate people. It took me a long time before I saw pictures of Jimmy Kimmel and Jimmy Fallon side by side and realized they weren't the same guy and was able to identify which one was which (I boiled it down to Kimmel has a broader jaw and kind of looks like my cousin and Fallon always looks like he just played a trick on somebody and is waiting for someone to notice). Mark Wahlberg and Matt Damon also throw me, though if it became important that I be able to distinguish them I would have to sit down and really pick apart what makes them unique from each other and I could probably do it. I think there's some other celebrity pair too, but can't remember it right now.

But yeah, "some faces being more distinguishable" is definitely true for me as well. Bolder features make it much easier, as do features that are strikingly similar to people I already know.
Old 22 August 2016, 07:24 PM

88%. I reckon I probably got all of them correct up until the last section. Some of the the last section was straightforward, but some were just pure 33% guesswork.
Old 23 August 2016, 08:47 PM

You know, I used to watch Gravity Falls on Disney XD, and caught part of a rerun yesterday. I could not remember the name of the character "Gruncle" Stan Pines--but his fez was familiar.