snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > The Doctor Is In

Old 19 August 2016, 01:45 PM

Default Knuckle-cracking is actually good for you

Quote:
You'd think Johnson might have listened, given that Szabo is a hand surgeon at the UC Davis Medical Center and former president of the American Society for Surgery of the Hand.
But she just kept right on cracking.
"I told him, 'Prove that it's bad,' " she said.
But Szabo couldn't. So when his colleague Dr. Robert Boutin, a radiologist at UC Davis, asked him to collaborate on a knuckle-cracking study, Szabo jumped at the chance.
http://www.cnn.com/2016/08/18/health...bad/index.html
Old 19 August 2016, 01:48 PM

Whalephant

The sound still makes me want to jump and down violently on my co-worker's hands.
Old 19 August 2016, 02:37 PM

I try to avoid doing it at work, but sometimes my knuckles (and other joints) crack when I move them.
Old 20 August 2016, 12:56 AM

Mouse

I never can figure out how to do it on purpose. Pity, because sometimes you need some sound effects in your life. But it seems to be one of those things I just can't do, like I also haven't figured out how to snap my fingers. Me and my brother were the only kids in elementary school who couldn't.
Old 20 August 2016, 01:33 AM

I hope it's okay for other joints as well, as I also crack thumbs, shoulder, knee, toes, neck, back, and ankles.

Mouse, rather than the traditional - or is that stereotypical? - pressing the joint together, one can crack knuckles by pulling the fingers - er, this is not a 'pull my finger' joke. Oh, also, grabbing the finger and rotating the joint a little sideways also can do it, more so for the last two joints rather than the joint with the main part of the hand.
Old 20 August 2016, 03:09 AM

I hate the sound of someone doing it systematically, but it doesn't bother me the least if it just happens once or seems spontaneous. I think it makes a different sound--deeper, more solid sounding--when someone is doing it systematically.

I also can't stand feeling it. SO used to systematically crack her knuckles against the mattress at night, and I could feel each pop through the mattress. Made me want to jump out of the bed.

On the other hand, a former roommate told me that she could tell when I was awake in the morning when she heard me crack my thumbs. I was completely unaware that I did it, but it makes sense. When I haven't bent them in a while, my thumbs will (both) either crack when I bend them, if they are in the right position, or they will lock when I try to bend them, and not go past a certain point, if they are not in the right position.

Once the roommate called my attention to it, I realized that on waking in the morning I would preemptively put my thumbs straight up and bend them so that they would crack, which would prevent them from getting stuck, at least until the next time I went a few hours without bending them.

Last edited by erwins; 20 August 2016 at 03:17 AM.
Old 20 August 2016, 05:42 PM

I suspect that the title should be more like "Knuckle-cracking is actually good for the person cracking their knuckles (but might annoy the crap out of people around them, which is not good for them.)".