snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > War, What Is It Good For?

Old 11 July 2016, 08:15 AM

United Kingdom Chilcot report: Crystal clear, polite - but damning

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-36724704
Quote:
The report suggests the government failed, the intelligence community failed, the military failed, and that Tony Blair ran his government in a way that meant the possible and probable consequences of military action in Iraq were never properly considered.

That's despite the suggestion that as early as December 2001, the former prime minister had discussed a "clever strategy" with George Bush about regime change in Iraq.

The report also suggests clearly that although military action might have proved necessary to stop Saddam Hussein at a later date, it was not the last resort at that point, and when British military men and women were sent in to risk their lives, "there was no imminent threat".
I've been following the BBC's coverage because it has been so extensive. They have dozens of articles (too many to link to) but I thought I'd link to "Chilcot report: Findings at-a-glance" dated 6 July 2016 since it highlights the report's conclusions.
Quote:
The UK chose to join the invasion of Iraq before all peaceful options for disarmament had been exhausted. Military action at that time was not a last resort

{ snip }

Policy on the Iraq invasion was made on the basis of flawed intelligence assessments. It was not challenged, and should have been

{ snip }

The UK's actions undermined the authority of the United Nations Security Council: The UN's Charter puts responsibility for the maintenance of peace and security in the Security Council. The UK government was claiming to act on behalf of the international community "to uphold the authority of the Security Council". But it knew it did not have a majority supporting its actions

{ snip }

The report found Mr Blair overestimated his ability to influence US decisions on Iraq; and the UK's relationship with the US does not require unconditional support

Click here for the BBC's full coverage. And you can read the entire report (all 2.6 million words) at the official Iraq Inquiry website.

Due to the report's length the Guardian is crowd-sourcing research into the report.
Quote:
While we have some of the Guardian’s top people inside the lock-in to get through as much of the Chilcot report (or at least its summary) as possible in three hours, the full publication is about 2.6m words long, or almost four-and-a-half times as long as War and Peace. It will take days to read properly. And so we’re hoping you could help.
There have been quite a few opinion pieces and editorials but my favorite was "The US needs its own Chilcot report" The Guardian 6 July 2016
Quote:
Tony Blair wasn’t the principal architect of this catastrophic war. The US should investigate George W Bush for his decision to invade Iraq
My favorite comment on this article was this one:
Quote:
Heathenlullaby
Should, Could, Wont.

Brian
Old 11 July 2016, 09:12 AM

I did wonder how much coverage the Chilcot report would get in the USA. The BBC did a blanket job on it last week - and the UK is facing other issues at the moment (you may have heard). When the war started I, and most of the country, thought that it was not justified. The Iranian authorities seemed to have been very open and I thought they must either be innocent or very good at hiding WMD. The war just confirmed what most people thought - 'Blair was Bush's puppy'.

'Lick your boots, George?'

I see that although the report stops short of calling the war illegal - hence Blair cannot be impeached - Parliament might censure him.

http://www.middleeasteye.net/news/br...raq-1475377321
Old 17 July 2016, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew of Ware View Post
The Iranian authorities seemed to have been very open and I thought they must either be innocent or very good at hiding WMD.
Iraqi, you mean.