snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Old Wives' Tales

Old 09 September 2010, 07:25 AM
Malamuddy

Snake I vote UL...

I hereby vote total UL on this one.
My evidence? None.
Just makes no sense.
The closest any of the above responses came to sounding even plausible was re: salmonella.
There are probably more UL's / misinformation about venomous snakes than any other critters....
Old 09 September 2010, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silas Sparkhammer View Post
(One of my favorite westerns is "El Dorado" with John Wayne and James Caan. Caan's character is not accustomed to guns, and has one or two very amusing accidents with his!
Possibly Mississippi (Cahn's character) could hit a snake with his 'pistol.' It was a sawed off shotgun.
Old 09 September 2010, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CenTex View Post
Venomous. Sorry, personal munchkin of mine. I have heard "poisonous snakes" all my life, and it make me cringe a bit everytime.
Technically speaking, poisonous can be used interchangeably with venomous, since saying something is venomous only means that it's got a poisonous bite or sting (as opposed to some other form of poison delivery).
Old 09 June 2014, 08:15 PM

Actually, they are very different. Venom must be injected. Merely touching or drinking venom will not harm you. Poisons, on the other hand, are absorbed or ingested. Frogs and the like are poisonous. If it has a stinger or fangs it is venom. Cite.

Oops. Sorry about bringing up an old thread. Was looking through the "who's online" section, and missed that it was a guest checking this opne out. I thought it was more recent than it was (and didn't think to look at the dates until after I posted.)

Last edited by geminilee; 09 June 2014 at 08:20 PM.
Old 28 June 2014, 08:16 AM

Snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by geminilee View Post
Actually, they are very different. Venom must be injected. Merely touching or drinking venom will not harm you. Poisons, on the other hand, are absorbed or ingested. Frogs and the like are poisonous. If it has a stinger or fangs it is venom. Cite.
I think this is generally true, but the exception that occurred to me is that of spitting cobras. It is venom that they spray with their fangs, yet it is not injected.