snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Hurricane Katrina

Old 21 November 2013, 01:36 AM

Default Conspiracy theory: Israel supports the Philippines and makes a SuperTyphoon not news?

Only slightly tongue in cheek.

From genuine curiousity, I asked over in Stupid Questions about why Typhoon Haiyan hasn't prompted any comment, let alone a thread of it's own.
I was mostly pondering that sometimes news doesn't get reported the same in different places.

And that's probably most of the truth.
But one theory mooted by a RL friend has brought me back here.
It basically runs:
The Philippines were apparently the only Asian country to vote in favor of the UN resolution regarding the creation of a Jewish State - apparently there is a monument in
I had seen the striking “Open Doors” monument in Rishon recognising the fact that the Philippines welcomed Jews fleeing Nazi Germany when much of the world would not.
IsraAid has mustered a releif team [see #IDFinPhilippines]
Therefore, the world press don't want to draw attention to the good work that Israel is doing :Fish:

Although, a quick google is interesting:
defense.gov
Quote:
At the request of the government of the Philippines, international military forces in the region are also ramping up their support. Australia, India, Japan, Malaysia, Singapore, South Korea and Taiwan are currently providing aircraft and/or medical personnel to assist in the relief operations. Similar military support from Brunei, Great Britain, New Zealand and Thailand is also expected.
I'm pretty sure it's a combination of being disastered-out, no-one on the boards having a personal link there [it's probably only on my radar because I do have a link] and just... how things are.

But there's a nutjob in every pocket!
no mention of Israel
Old 21 November 2013, 09:47 AM

I may have a different point of reference, from news stories because of my location not being in the US, and a location where there are probably 300,000 Filipinos within 30 miles of my house.

The Kuwait Times newspaper has had a number of news stories on the typhoon and events in the Philippines, plus I listen to the BBC World Service far more than any other radio outlet, and last, but not least, we have the Middle East TV service of ABS-CBN from the Philippines on our satellite service at home - spouse is Filipina, but no one in family is affected by the typhoon.

It does appear a 158 person medical team from Israel is in the Philippines - that has been reported on Philippines TV.
Old 21 November 2013, 11:38 AM

There are many groups in the US collecting funds and the US has sent a carrier plus support ships to the Philippines. It was in the news frequently here when it hit and after but other events have pushed it to the back page.

Another board I frequent has had a couple of threads on it but mainly involved people asking after one of the members from Manila and expressing their sympathy for his country.

Also I think part of it is there has been a relative lack of controversy concerning efforts (aside from the lack of aid from China) at relief. I know there are some internal complaints about how long it has been taking to get aid to people in the area but that seems to be a legitimate issue of logistics in operating in such a devastated area.
Old 21 November 2013, 12:56 PM

It's been all over the news here, making frontpage the day it happend and for a few days afterward. There's still reporting on the main tv news show about how the relief efforts are going, that the Prime Minster vowed not to leave the region until people are adequatly taken care of, and the assumed death toll. German relief groups are there, as well as official help by the gouvernment.

Article on the Federal Agency For Technical Relief providing drinking water in Daanbantavan.
Old 21 November 2013, 01:08 PM

I'll post here the link I posted over in stupid questions. http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Foreign...ew-finds-video There is something to the fact that Americans are following this disaster less closely than other similar disasters.
Old 21 November 2013, 04:14 PM

Baseball

Quote:
Originally Posted by marrya View Post
no mention of Israel
Nor is there mention of Canada.

Our DART (Disaster Assistance Response Team) has mobilised and is in the Phillipines and have set up a field hospital. It is also providing fresh water to thousands and delivering aid. When the heavy equipment gets there (the soldiers are there) then a good bit of the DART will be involved in clean up.

Aside from the DART, we are deploying six utility helicopters (with support) to be used in the country.