snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Old Wives' Tales

Old 02 November 2009, 01:55 AM

I seem to recall something about the nausea can be an indication of a healthy pregnancy but lack of nausea does not necessarily mean a problem.

I had no nausea for the first one, but for the second one, I felt like I was about to throw up the entire time but never actually did get the relief of a good hurl. Just felt faintly sick all the time.

Both pregnancies were healthy.
Old 02 November 2009, 03:11 AM

Very little nausea or heartburn. A heathy pregnancy and a baby with lots of hair. Oh well.
Old 02 November 2009, 03:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purpleiguana View Post
That's interesting. But the pregnancy nausea I had had nothing to do with things toxic to baby. Unless apples, milk, and tomato sauce (my big triggers) are toxic to baby. With my third, I had such hideous nausea that most days I didn't eat at all until after 3pm. Even thinking about food made me want to throw up.
Well, the first two are things that tend to go bad really easily. But I honestly don't know how much empirical evidence there is behind the theory.
Old 02 November 2009, 04:31 PM

I never had heartburn during my pregnancy, and DD was born with so much hair that the maternity nurses fixed it into a spit curl.
Old 03 November 2009, 09:40 PM

Tantrum

I don't have kids, but I do get heartburn something fierce. Thank god for Prilosec!
I did discuss this with my doctor and based on what I told him, he thinks it's all hormonal. One more reason to look forward to the Change.
Say, did y'all hear about the baby born with a mustache? The mother was tickled to death!
Old 25 November 2009, 07:41 PM
chefpasta

I had a bald child and very bad heartburn.

Being sick is not always a good thing. I get Hyperemesis Gravidarum for the full 38 weeks. Hyperemesis gravidarum (HG) is a rare disorder characterized by severe and persistent nausea and vomiting during pregnancy that may necessitate hospitalization. Six months for me off and on. As a result of frequent nausea and vomiting, affected women experience dehydration, vitamin and mineral deficit, and the loss of greater than five percent of their original body weight. ( for me it was 54 pounds total.)
Old 17 April 2013, 02:25 AM
YiskahSarah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loyhargil View Post
Apparently it comes from a Johns Hopkins University study. I'm having trouble finding a link to the Johns Hopkins study itself. When I run a search on that site, I am apparently "forbidden" from viewing any of the results.
Here's the John's Hopkins Study: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17150070