snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Crash and Burn

Old 18 March 2017, 04:09 PM

Cell Phone Coroner warning after man electrocuted in bath charging iPhone

Quote:
A man died after being electrocuted while charging his phone in the bath, an inquest has heard.

The death of Richard Bull, 32, which occurred when the iPhone fell into the water, was accidental, the coroner ruled. Dr Sean Cummings said he would also send a report to the phone’s manufacturer, Apple, to warn about the dangers.

“These seem like innocuous devices, but they can be as dangerous as a hairdryer in a bathroom. They should attach warnings,” he told the inquest. “This was a tragic accident and I have no reason to believe at all that there anything other than it being completely accidental.”
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...charging-phone

I'm sure this was just a momentary bad decision in this case, but is "don't use electrical devices connected to the mains while you're in the bath" really something that we need to have special warnings about?
Old 18 March 2017, 04:21 PM

Quote:
The coroner said that the postmortem had revealed burns on Bull’s right arm and right hand. Police told the inquest at West London coroner’s court that an extension lead was found running from the hallway into the bathroom.
So was it the cord from the phone or the extension cord it was plugged into that electrocuted him?
Old 18 March 2017, 04:35 PM

The Daily Mail (sorry!) has more information but it's remarkably unclear.

Quote:
'When we arrived the ambulance service was there. They told me they had unplugged an extension cord, but that they could do nothing further as he had already passed away.

'The extension cord was coming from the hallway leading into the bathroom.

'Initial circumstances indicated suicide. The question was considered in the original call, but the cable wasn't near the bath, it had been run there to charge a mobile phone.

'The extension cable was on the floor and it appeared as though he had his phone charger on his chest and the part between the phone charger and the cable had made contact with the water.'
iPhone chargers that I'm familiar with plug in directly to the socket, so I can't really see what they mean by "the part between the phone charger and the cable".
Old 20 March 2017, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htonl View Post
iPhone chargers that I'm familiar with plug in directly to the socket, so I can't really see what they mean by "the part between the phone charger and the cable".
I don't have an iphone, but all of my android chargers can either be used to plug into an electrical outlet or a USB port. They have a block shaped adapter that plugs into the wall and you plug the charger cord USB into it.
Old 20 March 2017, 02:26 PM

Just one question: Who the NFBSK charges their iPhone in the bath??
Old 20 March 2017, 02:28 PM

Someone who wants to use their iPhone in the bath but has a low battery?
Old 20 March 2017, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooeygun View Post
I don't have an iphone, but all of my android chargers can either be used to plug into an electrical outlet or a USB port. They have a block shaped adapter that plugs into the wall and you plug the charger cord USB into it.
Yes, that's what I meant - to me "the charger" means the block you plug into the wall; the rest is just a USB cable.
Old 20 March 2017, 04:45 PM

It seems like running the extension cord into the hallway was a big part of the issue as it would have circumvented the purpose for GFI outlets in the bathroom.
Old 20 March 2017, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htonl View Post
Yes, that's what I meant - to me "the charger" means the block you plug into the wall; the rest is just a USB cable.
You don't need the block part to charge though. You can charge using just the USB cable plugged into a computer.

The article just isn't very clear.