snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Closed Thread

Old 28 September 2016, 02:21 PM

Glasses Stupid questions

Cervus asked why newspapers still endorsed candidates and who cared.

Well, those of us who still read the newspapers, for one. Also, I've noticed that their endorsements take the form of essays, which lay out the reasons for the endorsement. There's often information there about the candidates' past performance as well as an analysis of the positions themselves. This is very helpful information.

Seaboe
Old 28 September 2016, 02:32 PM

I assume the editorial boards of said newspapers also care about the endorsements, or they wouldn't keep making them.

And in this particular election year, there have been several instances of papers endorsing a Democrat for the first time in generations, or ever. That's made news, and has underscored the, um, exceptional nature of this year's Republican nominee.
Old 28 September 2016, 02:59 PM

There might also be another element to it... subscription boosts. If it's known that a paper backs a certain candidate, they can probably expect some new or at the very least re-newed subscriptions to come from that.
Old 29 September 2016, 01:11 AM

A week or two ago I picked some sprigs of oregano from the plant in my garden. I didn't end up using all of it and ended up leaving the unused sprigs sitting on the counter. They've now dried out, to the point where I can crumble the leaves with my fingers. If I cook with them should I treat it as dried oregano or fresh oregano?
Old 29 September 2016, 02:09 PM

Glasses

Dried.

Seaboe
Old 29 September 2016, 03:47 PM

Can you walk across the George Washington Bridge (between Manhattan and New Jersey)?

I can't tell from Street View - it doesn't cross the bridge itself for some reason, and although I can see that there are wide walkways there, they appear to be blocked off by maintenance equipment so it's not clear whether they're open to the public.
Old 16 November 2016, 06:10 PM

Default Insurance deductable question - PPACA

One of the concerns by many who are against Obamacare is the high cost of insurance with the high deductibles, the implication being that the healthcare insurance won't pay anything until the deductible is met.

Not claiming that these are legit numbers, and a bit of an average, comments like the insurance coverage is $1000 per month (family coverage) and $10,000 deductible.

On the surface, these seems that someone with that policy numbers would be paying $22,000 for a year's coverage and medical costs before the insurance would pay the first nickel.

If that is truly the case, I can see why people are very hesitant to deal with insurance and willing to risk being a self-insurer (paying out of pocket for all medical care) and paying whatever PPACA fine is involved.

Is that the way this high deductible works?

My personal experience with our medical insurance is that we did have a small amount that had to be paid out of pocket 100%, then at that point, we had only a co-pay, but then at another point we had a dollar point that BC/BS calls catastrophic protection (and two amounts, one preferred and the second one, higher, Non-preferred/preferred total) which I gather when we reached that point, we had zero out of pocket.

Back to the question, is anyone having to pay the total of the yearly premium and the deducible amount before they get any insurance payment?

Last edited by UrbanLegends101; 16 November 2016 at 06:22 PM.
Old 16 November 2016, 06:21 PM

I have a high deductible policy with an HSA. In some cases, I pay a co-pay, like an office visit, and the insurance pays the rest. For bigger things, it is easier to give an example.

I recently ended up in the emergency room with a kidney stone:
The entire bill was $5,650. My insurance company paid $23 (not sure why). The hospital discounted the bill $4,660 (due to agreements with the insurance company). My bill was $965. The $965 applied towards my deductible of $8000. The hospital and I worked out an interest free payment plan for the balance.
Old 17 November 2016, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachlife! View Post
The hospital discounted the bill $4,660 (due to agreements with the insurance company).
That's interesting. I knew insurance companies paid less for treatments (which makes health insurance a more complex financial decision than other forms of insurance), but I didn't know that this carried over even to the parts that their customers have to pay for. In that case you're presumably a lot better off having insurance even if you end up under the deductible and the insurance company doesn't pay out much.

I've never had to pay for insurance, but if I was self-employed, I'd be willing to consider the possibility of a high deductible, depending on what the difference in premiums was like. I can set aside $10k just in case I need it for expenses within the deductible, but I can't set aside $500k in savings in case I get cancer. In general I consider insurance to be for catastrophic cases that you couldn't otherwise handle, and not just for moderate expenses that you might not like to pay but could. Though health insurance is a bit of a special case since the prices are so distorted.
Old 17 November 2016, 03:03 AM

Btw, that discount is something I have seen on every major bill I've received regardless of the provider.
Old 17 November 2016, 12:05 PM

I see that charge on every major bill, too, and have for years.
Old 16 November 2016, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLegends101 View Post
On the surface, these seems that someone with that policy numbers would be paying $22,000 for a year's coverage and medical costs before the insurance would pay the first nickel.
The $10K policy deductible would probably be the plan deductible and there would be a lower individual deductible, probably somewhere around $5K. If a single person paid the $5K, then the greater insurance payments would kick in at that point, not at the $10K. The $10K is the point at which higher insurance kicks in for everybody in the plan, whether or they there have been payments made for them.

Example, A has surgery that costs $7K. Their payments start on the higher payment schedules after the first $5K. Later the same year, B has a procedure that costs $4K. They start on the higher payments after only $3K because they've hit the plan deductible. If C then has a $1K procedure, they are completely on the higher plan for the whole thing.

Also, a high-deductible plan usually allows for the people to use pre-tax income to pay for most medical bills. So the $10K that A&B paid could have saved them somewhere around $3-4K in income tax.
Old 16 November 2016, 09:05 PM

One more thing about the high deductibles. Often there are services that don't use the deductible. In many cases routine checkups are mostly paid for by the insurance even if the deductible hasn't yet been met. So it is possible for the insurance company to pay for some things even if you haven't met your deductible. For my wife and I, we get yearly medical checkups, dental checkup (+cleaning) and eye exams regardless of how we are doing on the deductible.
Old 17 November 2016, 02:10 AM

Jolly Roger

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
T...Also, a high-deductible plan usually allows for the people to use pre-tax income to pay for most medical bills. So the $10K that A&B paid could have saved them somewhere around $3-4K in income tax.
Except that there are federal limits on how much pre-tax income can be used in this way. In my case that limit is 1/3rd of my deductible.
Old 17 November 2016, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachlife! View Post
Except that there are federal limits on how much pre-tax income can be used in this way. In my case that limit is 1/3rd of my deductible.
Can't believe I forgot about the limit, I was just looking it up a few months ago. But your math is off or you are looking at the wrong numbers. The maximum out of pocket annual limit (which by definition has to be the same or higher than the deducible) for a HDHP is only about double the maximum contribution.

Last edited by GenYus234; 17 November 2016 at 03:45 PM. Reason: correction
Old 17 November 2016, 03:29 PM

You are correct about HSAs. My company's plan, is an FSA which has a $2500 limit.

*Edited to reword and clarify.
Old 26 January 2017, 06:48 PM

During World War II, there was a country welcoming many Jews escaping from Germany. Eventually, Germany took control of that country and ordered all Jews to wear a yellow Star of David, whereupon that country's King asked all in the country to wear the Star of David.

What was that country?
Old 26 January 2017, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobcat Warrior View Post
During World War II, there was a country welcoming many Jews escaping from Germany. Eventually, Germany took control of that country and ordered all Jews to wear a yellow Star of David, whereupon that country's King asked all in the country to wear the Star of David.

What was that country?
UL Denmark. http://www.snopes.com/history/govern/yellowstars.asp
Closed Thread