snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Soapbox Derby

Old 03 July 2014, 04:06 PM

Jaded Obama The ‘Worst’ President Since WWII? See How He Stacks Up

President Obama is considered to be the worst president since World War II, narrowly beating out George W. Bush, according to a new Quinnipiac University poll released today.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics...-he-stacks-up/
Old 03 July 2014, 04:18 PM

More people remember more things about current president than past presidents, study finds.
Old 03 July 2014, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloe View Post
More people remember more things about current president than past presidents, study finds.
That's a good explanation. There's also selection bias. I don't know anyone who is jumping up and down excitedly to defend Obama, but I do know people who will take every opportunity to bash him.
Old 03 July 2014, 04:24 PM

Exactly.

Moving now to sports news:

-In 14 cities, fans voted the current manager of their MLB team "Worst manager in the history of baseball."

-In 10 NFL cities, fans voted the local team's back-up quarterback "Best player on the offense."
Old 03 July 2014, 04:26 PM

Given that Ronald Reagan was selected as the best president in this era, I strongly queston the intellegence of the people polled.
Old 03 July 2014, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Dave View Post
Exactly.

Moving now to sports news:

-In 14 cities, fans voted the current manager of their MLB team "Worst manager in the history of baseball."

-In 10 NFL cities, fans voted the local team's back-up quarterback "Best player on the offense."
Yeah, seriously. What is the point of polling people about who is the best/worst of anything? Your average person doesn't enough to form an opinion, but believe me, they'll have one!

Now, there probably is an intelligent, useful way to go about doing a poll like this. Start with your selection of participants: It should be a broad spectrum of policymakers and academics, and equally balanced across the political spectrum. The participants need to have a set minimum of credentials in the relevant topics.

Then, select a series of measurements upon which your selections will be based, and agree upon the weight given to each measurement. They will be things like Campaign Promises Kept, Foreign influence, Ability to Reach Across the Aisle, Domestic Economic Growth, Security from Terrorism, Education, Crime, Standard of Living, etc.

Then, asking your panelists to show their work, have them rank each president from best to worst based on your controlled criteria. THAT summary will probably be useful and meaningful.

(God, I live in such a boring world, don't I? I won't discuss vaccinations with people who don't understand medicine, I won't discuss court cases with people who don't understand law, and I won't discuss politics with people who don't understand political science!)
Old 03 July 2014, 06:03 PM

Also if you look at the poll itself. Obama was voted worst president by 63% of those who declared themselves Republicans. by 4% of those who declared themselves Democrats and 36% of those who declared themselves Independent.
Ronald Reagan was voted best president... by roughly the same margins (66%, 6% and 36%).

For me that poll only shows two things: Republicans are unified in their dislike for Obama and their love for Reagan.
Old 04 July 2014, 02:56 AM

Icon19 People Who Call Obama Worst President Since WWII Also Blame Him for Starting It

A new poll revealed that people rank President Barack Obama as the worst President since the Second World War, and also blame him for starting the Second World War.

While the respondents slammed the President for his handling of the economy, Iraq, and a host of other issues, his perceived role as the primary cause of the Second World War was the biggest drag on his numbers.

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blog...arting-it.html