snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Diversions > Urban Legends Contest

Old 20 February 2018, 03:20 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by DadOf3 View Post
THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

1. What are "Bacillus" bacteria shaped like?
Rods, I think.
Quote:

2. What author founded National Review magazine in 1955?
Hmmm. I feel as if I should know this, but I don't. I'm going to say Hemingway, because that's the first name that popped into my head who was writing in 1955.
Quote:

3. What NBA coach, in his 22nd season with his team, is currently the longest tenured coach in any of the four major North American sports organizations?
Sports question! I seriously cannot come up with a single name other than Tom Brady, who's a player of a completely different sport.
Quote:

4. What fictional American town is closely associated with products like Powdermilk Biscuits and Beebop-a-Ree-Bop Rhubarb Pie?
Mayberry, RFD. Oh, wait, that's not a state abbreviation. Ignore that last part.
Quote:

5. What country's national day, January 26, commemorates the 1788 landing of the First Fleet, but is sometimes referred to as "Invasion Day" by minority groups?
If we hadn't just had a discussion about this, I would still have guessed Australia.
Quote:

6. Which book of the Bible includes a vision of scroll closed with seven seals?
Revelations? Ingmar Bergman made a movie about it.
Quote:

7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these famous people? Yasser Arafat, Peter Boyle, Stephen Fry, Joseph Goebbels, Fred Grandy, William Holden, Michael Jackson, David Miscavige, Leonard Nimoy, Prince Harry, Frank Sinatra.
That is a very interesting list, not the least because there's only one person on it that I've never heard of. I don't have a clue what they have in common.

Seaboe
Old 20 February 2018, 04:02 PM

4. What fictional American town is closely associated with products like Powdermilk Biscuits and Beebop-a-Ree-Bop Rhubarb Pie?

Lake Wobegon.
It's not aired here anymore and I miss it.

5. What country's national day, January 26, commemorates the 1788 landing of the First Fleet, but is sometimes referred to as "Invasion Day" by minority groups?

Australia

The Apocalypse

Sorry! Should be Book of Revelation

Last edited by Floater; 20 February 2018 at 04:08 PM.
Old 20 February 2018, 04:31 PM

rods

William F. Buckley

3. What NBA coach, in his 22nd season with his team, is currently the longest tenured coach in any of the four major North American sports organizations?

don't know

Lake Wobegon, Minnesota

Australia

Revelation

7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these famous people? Yasser Arafat, Peter Boyle, Stephen Fry, Joseph Goebbels, Fred Grandy, William Holden, Michael Jackson, David Miscavige, Leonard Nimoy, Prince Harry, Frank Sinatra.

don't know
Old 20 February 2018, 04:39 PM

1. I know what shape they are - sort of like mouse droppings, but the question implies a specific phrase that must be the meaning of Bacillus. Is it "rod-like" or something?

I don't know many of the others. I should know number 2 (was it Norman Mailer or somebody like that?), and 5 is Australia because I saw people going on about "Invasion Day" on Facebook. And 6 is The Revelation of St John I think.

Quote:
7. Erm, they all spent a lot of time "in the closet"?

(eta) One thing about the juxtaposition of Fry and Goebbels made me remember that Stephen Fry wrote a novel that featured Goebbels, I think (Making History). Although it's more about Hitler - a time-travel story about killing him, so if that's the link I don't know why Goebbels would be there rather than Hitler. I don't think that extends to any of the other pairs even if it is right, though.

Last edited by Richard W; 20 February 2018 at 04:47 PM.
Old 20 February 2018, 05:29 PM

Addendum to question #4: "Well, that's the news from Lake Wobegon, where all the women are strong, all the men are good looking, and all the children are above average."
Old 20 February 2018, 06:50 PM

Baseball 2 for 7 this week. No chance on my guesses even.

1. Barrels?

2. Only author from that era I can think of is John Steinbeck.

3. I don't know any NBA coaches. When did Michael Jordan take up coaching. I'm going with him.

4. It's not Quahog. I'm guessing with things like that it is Mayberry.

5. I know this one. Australia. Working with Australians overseas taught me the date, but not the controversy.

6. In my Bible it would be Revelations. In my Grandmother's, it is Apocalypse.

7. All were overshdowed by older brothers growing up, but became known on their own.
Old 20 February 2018, 06:52 PM

I don't think anyone got 3 yet.
3. Is Greg Popovich still with San Antonio?

1. What are "Bacillus" bacteria shaped like? Duh, bacilli. You're welcome.
Rods
Old 20 February 2018, 09:03 PM

1. They're straight, aren't they?

2. William F Buckley.

3. No idea.

4. Lake Wobegone.

5. Australia.

6. Revelation.

7. I can't come up with anything.
Old 21 February 2018, 10:44 AM

5. What country's national day, January 26, commemorates the 1788 landing of the First Fleet, but is sometimes referred to as "Invasion Day" by minority groups? Australia.

6. Which book of the Bible includes a vision of scroll closed with seven seals? Really? This one has to be a gimme... Revelation.
Old 27 February 2018, 02:51 PM

Hi, all. Sorry for the delay.

Here we go with ...

LAST WEEK'S ANSWERS

"Bacillus" means "rod-shaped."

William F. Buckley's aim was to strengthen the intellectual basis for American conservatism, back when that was actually a thing.

Gregg Popovich coached his first Spurs game in December 1996, before current Rookie of the Year hopefuls like Jayson Tatum, Lauri Markkanen, and Lonzo Ball were even born.

Those were among the made-up local sponsors of Garrison Keillor's A Prairie Home Companion radio show, set in Lake Wobegon, Minnesota. (Back when that was actually a thing.)

In Australia, not everyone is equally patriotic about Australia Day.

The last book of the New Testament, the Book of Revelation, includes the apocalyptic vision of these seven seals opening one at a time, ushering in the end of the world.

Each was the best man at a famous wedding. Respectively, the celebrity grooms were Idi Amin, John Lennon, Hugh Laurie, Hitler, David Eisenhower, Ronald Reagan, David Gest (marrying Liza Minnelli), Tom Cruise, William Shatner, Prince William, and Sammy Davis Jr. If nothing else, you now know more about Idi Amin's wedding than you used to.

THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

1. What unusual feature was included on the original CD slipcase to the 1995 Pink Floyd album Pulse?

2. What African capital on the Cap-Vert peninsula is the westernmost city of the "Old World"?

3. What 1976 Disney movie began with the title song "I'd Like to Be You for a Day," sung by Barbara Harris and Jodie Foster?

4. Though some U.S. aircraft carriers are named for navy admirals, there are currently two in service that are named for generals in the U.S. Army instead. What are those two ships?

5. What renowned architect, whose projects include JFK's presidential library as well as additions to the National Gallery of Art and the Louvre, turned 100 last April?

6. What children's game, first seen on toy store shelves in 1964, includes parts labeled "Blue Bomber" and "Red Rocker"?

7. What unusual distinction is shared by these TV shows? Bones, Boy Meets World, Charmed, Community, CSI, Friends, Glee, Kung Fu, The Office, Roseanne, The Simpsons, Star Trek, That's So Raven.

Enjoy!
Old 27 February 2018, 03:21 PM

3. What 1976 Disney movie began with the title song "I'd Like to Be You for a Day," sung by Barbara Harris and Jodie Foster? From the song title, I'm going to guess, The Prince and the Pauper?

4. Though some U.S. aircraft carriers are named for navy admirals, there are currently two in service that are named for generals in the U.S. Army instead. What are those two ships? Is the USS Eisenhowser still in service?

5. What renowned architect, whose projects include JFK's presidential library as well as additions to the National Gallery of Art and the Louvre, turned 100 last April? IM Pei?

6. What children's game, first seen on toy store shelves in 1964, includes parts labeled "Blue Bomber" and "Red Rocker"? Rock'em, Sock'em Robots.
Old 27 February 2018, 03:26 PM

Quote:
3. What 1976 Disney movie began with the title song "I'd Like to Be You for a Day," sung by Barbara Harris and Jodie Foster?
I'm going with Freaky Friday

Karyn
Old 27 February 2018, 03:36 PM

1. A flashing red LED.

2. Don't know. It would probably have to be in Western Sahara but I can't think of the name of the city there. Or does Morocco itself stick out far enough to be the westernmost point? Marrakesh (sp?) or Casablanca?

I don't know 3 or 4.

5. Norman Foster I think - didn't know he was that old.

6. Mousetrap?

No ideas for 7 yet. I didn't do well this week.
Old 27 February 2018, 03:46 PM

Glasses

Quote:
THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

1. What unusual feature was included on the original CD slipcase to the 1995 Pink Floyd album Pulse?
I'm going with my first reaction, even though it has to be wrong because the tech didn't exist in 1995--a Fitbit.
Quote:

2. What African capital on the Cap-Vert peninsula is the westernmost city of the "Old World"?
Tripoli? Not that I actually know where Tripoli is.
Quote:

Freaky Friday, of course.
Quote:

4. Though some U.S. aircraft carriers are named for navy admirals, there are currently two in service that are named for generals in the U.S. Army instead. What are those two ships?
Eisenhower and MacArthur?
Quote:

5. What renowned architect, whose projects include JFK's presidential library as well as additions to the National Gallery of Art and the Louvre, turned 100 last April?
I.M.Pei? Probably not, but I'll stick with that.
Quote:

6. What children's game, first seen on toy store shelves in 1964, includes parts labeled "Blue Bomber" and "Red Rocker"?
Mouse Trap, which I've never actually gotten to play. ETA: Upon consideration, I think GenYus has the right answer.
Quote:

7. What unusual distinction is shared by these TV shows? Bones, Boy Meets World, Charmed, Community, CSI, Friends, Glee, Kung Fu, The Office, Roseanne, The Simpsons, Star Trek, That's So Raven.
They all star actors who've famously played vampires during their careers. I mean, why not?

Seaboe
Old 27 February 2018, 04:56 PM

3. What 1976 Disney movie began with the title song "I'd Like to Be You for a Day," sung by Barbara Harris and Jodie Foster? From the song title, I'm going to guess, Freaky Friday?

4. Though some U.S. aircraft carriers are named for navy admirals, there are currently two in service that are named for generals in the U.S. Army instead. What are those two ships? Eisenhowser and Washington

5. What renowned architect, whose projects include JFK's presidential library as well as additions to the National Gallery of Art and the Louvre, turned 100 last April? IM Pei

7. What unusual distinction is shared by these TV shows? Bones, Boy Meets World, Charmed, Community, CSI, Friends, Glee, Kung Fu, The Office, Roseanne, The Simpsons, Star Trek, That's So Raven. I actually saw an episode of each of them!i
Old 27 February 2018, 05:06 PM

Icon05

A blinking red light that you can't shut off.

Probably one I never heard of

Freaky Friday(1976)

U.S.S. Eisenhower and another one

I. M. Pei (No you're not, I. M.)

Rock 'em Sock 'em Robots

They all have a charater named "Bones", or have a "next generation" spinoff, or are a sitcom or a cartoon. EDIT (guess): They all added regular characters after they were already established shows.

Last edited by ChasFink; 27 February 2018 at 05:09 PM. Reason: Just thought of it!
Old 27 February 2018, 05:46 PM

I don't even have a decent guess for any of them this week!

ChasFink: Re #7- is that really unusual? Doesn't almost every show that lasts more than a few seasons do that?
Old 27 February 2018, 05:56 PM

Yeah, the only one I got this week was 5, and that was sheer coincidence. This morning I read an article about architecture in France and it mentioned that I.M. Pei designed the pyramid outside the Louvre. I knew the name but couldn't think of anything else he'd done so I checked out his wikipedia page and read about some of his other work. And I also saw that he'd turned 100 last April.
Old 27 February 2018, 06:47 PM

Baseball 1 for 7. I might have a half answer in there too.

1. No clue. I'm going to guess a mini disc with the first single.

2. I have 2 good UN friends from the Senegal military. They both work in Dakar. I'm going with that.

3. Is Freaky Friday a Disney film?

4. Eisenhower and MacArthur? Both are guesses.

5. Have no clue whatsoever. I don't know any architects.

6. Robot boxing?

7. They've won more writing awards than acting awards?
Old 27 February 2018, 07:05 PM

Moose

Quote:
an LED
Quote:
Monrovia?
Quote:
Freaky Friday
Quote:
WAG Washington and Grant
Quote:
IM Pei
Quote:
WAG Mousetrap
Quote:
No eye deer.