Default Obama photo during national anthem

Is this actual or made up?

<
>
Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2007 02:24:42 +0000

Boy, that's exactly who we need as President! See Attachment

Does this man not cross his heart
when the National Anthem is playing, or when the flag is raised or
lowered? OR, was this an accident on his part?
photo shows 4 of them, including the infamous Hillary...

__________________________________________________ __________

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 27 October 2007, 03:22 PM

Icon05

What are we supposed to be looking at?
Old 27 October 2007, 03:24 PM

I can't see a pic, either.
Old 27 October 2007, 03:43 PM

Apparently it's from the Oct 1st issue of Time magazine.

Image here.

Last edited by Stoneage Dinosaur; 27 October 2007 at 03:53 PM.
Old 27 October 2007, 04:32 PM
bobhicks

Default Obama

yep...
sorry I couln't attach the photo...but:
http://getfireant.com/listings/episo...tem_id=1768884
fox news.
Old 27 October 2007, 04:43 PM

I have to admit, sometimes I don't put my hand on my heart, it just seems like some hokey thing reserved for elementary school kids.
Old 27 October 2007, 04:57 PM
lazerus the duck

Do Americans really put that much stock in such trivial matters? Or is it just like in the UK news men making mountains out of mole hills.
Old 27 October 2007, 05:00 PM

Anybody who thinks that holding their hand over their heart during the playing of the National Anthem is a major political issue is not going to be voting for Obama for President anyway.
Old 27 October 2007, 05:07 PM

In that picture no-one has their hands over their heart - they have their hands over their left breast and their wrists over their hearts. At least Obama's got his hand over his purple heart.

Is this really an important factor when deciding who is the most competant person to run arguably the most influential nation on Earth for the next four years? If so I am frightened.

Can I confess that when they used to play the National Anthem at the end of the TV in the evening, I never got up and saluted the image of the Queen?
Old 27 October 2007, 05:11 PM

Isn't it enough that he's standing?
Old 27 October 2007, 05:25 PM

I can't think of anything less likely to influence my vote than trivial crap like this, especially when people blow it so out of proportion. What's next? You shouldn't vote for someone because they used the wrong fork at a dinner?
Old 27 October 2007, 05:31 PM

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Slick View Post
Anybody who thinks that holding their hand over their heart during the playing of the National Anthem is a major political issue is not going to be voting for Obama for President anyway.
I doubt they'll be voting for any Democrat candidate.
Old 27 October 2007, 05:32 PM

Putting your hand over your heart is viewed more as a sign of respect but really not every one remembers too do so. Here in my military town I have been to several hockey games, most of the attendees are in the military and barely half of the stadium puts their hands on their hearts when the National Anthem is sung. At least he stood up!
Old 27 October 2007, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddylizard View Post
Is this really an important factor when deciding who is the most competant person to run arguably the most influential nation on Earth for the next four years? If so I am frightened.
Not particularly. That's the problem with cable news. They need to fill 24 hours every day, and something trivial like this gives them an opportunity to fill six minutes every two hours by having people take sides and argue over it.
Old 27 October 2007, 05:48 PM

United States

According to the U.S. Flag Code:

Quote:
(a) Designation.— The composition consisting of the words and music known as the Star-Spangled Banner is the national anthem.

(b) Conduct During Playing.— During a rendition of the national anthem—

(1) when the flag is displayed—

(A) all present except those in uniform should stand at attention facing the flag with the right hand over the heart

(B) men not in uniform should remove their headdress with their right hand and hold the headdress at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart; and
(C) individuals in uniform should give the military salute at the first note of the anthem and maintain that position until the last note; and
(2) when the flag is not displayed, all present should face toward the music and act in the same manner they would if the flag were displayed.
None of the people in the picture is facing the flag, unless there's another one in front of them.

- snopes
Old 27 October 2007, 05:52 PM

United States

Hmm. "All present." So it sounds as if I should have my hand over my heart, even though it's not my flag. I always assumed simply standing up would be enough (and that in fact it would be a bit cheeky to do the hand over heart gesture). What do foreign leaders to in the U.S.?

ETA: Here's Chirac not doing it:
Old 27 October 2007, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddylizard View Post
Can I confess that when they used to play the National Anthem at the end of the TV in the evening, I never got up and saluted the image of the Queen?
Please excuse a question from a naive American, but are you expected to stand and/or salute in your own home?
Old 27 October 2007, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy Quigley View Post
Please excuse a question from a naive American, but are you expected to stand and/or salute in your own home?
There was a time certainly in the early 1970's when many people expected a stand up and salute as a mark of respect for the country and the Monarch, whenever the National Anthem was played. I don't think it was ever enshrined in law or code or anything, it was just something one was expected to do. The concept is now long since extinct.

Before we had all night TV, at some point in the late evening, the broadcasters would sign off, then there would be a playing of the national anthem, and some stirring pictures of the Queen. Followed by a blank screen and a high pitched tone until it started up again. Amongst those of a certain age and mindset, a cursory salute to HM was de-rigeur.

Please don't feel the need to excuse yourself for naiveté, because I never got the concept either.

I suppose that makes my other comment hypocritical, except in as much as I think our one was very silly too.

Last edited by Eddylizard; 27 October 2007 at 07:29 PM.
Old 27 October 2007, 07:32 PM

Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazerus the duck View Post
Do Americans really put that much stock in such trivial matters? Or is it just like in the UK news men making mountains out of mole hills.
Given that the last election dealt with such pressing issues like whether John Kerry is too French...
Old 27 October 2007, 08:10 PM

Whalephant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy Quigley View Post
I had friends, back in the 60's and 70's, in the U.S., whose parents were strict on that: when the national anthem played, you damn well stood. Or you would be hit. (No, not spanked: hit.)

This, as you might expect, produced in me exactly the opposite reaction to the one ostensibly desired. I concluded that "patriotism" was so weak and insecure an emotion that it could only be promulgated by force, bullying, and violence.

Silas