snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Trivia

Old 24 September 2009, 02:08 AM

I wonder if there's enough data readily available to estimate how much square-footage/mileage of the Earth is urban. Could you fit all of the world's cities into Texas, I wonder? If so, how much of Texas would they fill, and if not, how many Texas' would it take? (I'm guessing they could well all fit into Texas, especially if we discount suburban space. But I really have no idea. I actually wouldn't be shocked either way.)

--Logoboros
Old 24 September 2009, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UEL View Post
I would love to see Survivor/Iqaluit!
my dad says the same thing... I say Pioneer quest is as close as you'll get to that
Old 24 September 2009, 02:35 AM

oh and I'd much rather have the 2,946,082.28 sq feet I currently have living in Canada...
Old 24 September 2009, 03:07 AM

Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullMetal View Post
my dad says the same thing... I say Pioneer quest is as close as you'll get to that
And being from Manitoba, I thought that show was the tops.

Makes me appreciate what our ancestors did.

However, I'd still love to see women in bikinis and men in speedos in Nunavut.
Old 24 September 2009, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UEL View Post
However, I'd still love to see women in bikinis and men in speedos in Nunavut.
A bit more global warming and you will.
Old 24 September 2009, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloe View Post
The overpopulation problem is not a problem of not having enough physical space to accommodate people, but about having enough of the world's resources to keep them fed, watered, housed, and healthy.
Yep. Also, don't forget roads, factories, public buildings and so on. These typically take up far more space than living area. Just look at a typical map over a typical town.

Also, it wouldn't work, as the Texans are not exactly known for their love of immigrants.
Old 24 September 2009, 02:52 PM
bjohn13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohn13 View Post
Survivor Fargo....
Of course, the reason why I brought up Survivor Fargo is because Fargo is the only place on Earth that I know of where the temperature can fluctuate 120 degrees in the span of a week....
Old 07 October 2009, 05:14 PM

Icon102

Hi, I'm new here.
I'm from Texas. It's full of ornry old men with guns who say "Git off mah prop'ty!" if you get too close. Also, after Hurricane Katrina, the population of Houston doubled. So did the crime rate. I don't get people who spout that at all. I even made an assemblage sculpture to illustrate it once.
Old 08 October 2009, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assilem Brandywine View Post
Hi, I'm new here.
I'm from Texas. It's full of ornry old men with guns who say "Git off mah prop'ty!" if you get too close. Also, after Hurricane Katrina, the population of Houston doubled. So did the crime rate. I don't get people who spout that at all. I even made an assemblage sculpture to illustrate it once.
My emphasis.

Surely if any population doubles for any reason then the crime rate would double? I would suspect if Houston suddenly had an influx of ornry old men with guns who say "Git off mah prop'ty!" that doubled its population teh crime rate would also double.
Old 08 October 2009, 09:25 AM

When I was younger I was told that the entire population of the world could stand on the Isle of White (about the same size as Martha's Vineyard). Even with the population then (much less than 6 billion) I doubt if there would be a lot of room and the poor island would probably collapse into the English Channel.

I also heard many years ago that the entire population of the world could drown in Loch Ness (ignoring the fact that the water level would rise as each person drowned). This was used as so-called evidence that a colony of monsters could live within the loch.
Old 08 October 2009, 09:44 AM

May I add a mention of John Brunner's novel Stand on Zanzibar, that takes it's titel and a metaphor running through the book from the notion that the entire population of the earth in 2010 (7 billion by Brunner's projection in 1968) could stand - shoulder by shoulder - on the island of Zanzibar. By the end of the book, some of them are already knee deep in the Indian Ocean, though.

Don Enrico
Old 08 October 2009, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopher View Post
My emphasis.

Surely if any population doubles for any reason then the crime rate would double? I would suspect if Houston suddenly had an influx of ornry old men with guns who say "Git off mah prop'ty!" that doubled its population teh crime rate would also double.
According to the peoples and police departments of Houston (as well as Dallas, Austin, and most other Texas cities that got Katrina refugees) the crime rate did go up. I don't know about doubling but most sources claim it did go up. That could be because more people just equals more crime, and not because Katrina refugees are inherently criminal types which is what some people try to make it out to be.
Old 08 October 2009, 01:23 PM

According to a Houston Chronicle article of 10/21/2006, the overall crime rate in Houston decreased in 2006. Violent crime rate rose, with homicide rising by 25 percent. In numbers: As of Oct. 16, 2006 the city had recorded 316 homicides, compared to 252 killings as of October 2005. 65 of these homicides where deemed "Katrina-related," meaning either the victim, suspect or both evacuated to Houston after Katrina.

So,
  • the crime rate didn't double,
  • not even the homicide rate did double,
  • there where 65 Katrina-related homicides (while there were 150,000 Katrina evacuees in Houston), and
  • a homicide was considered Katrina-related even if only the victim was an evacuee.

And, by the way, 150,000 Katrina evacuees in a city of 2 million people doesn't a double population make.

Don Enrico
Old 09 October 2009, 03:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohn13 View Post
Of course, the reason why I brought up Survivor Fargo is because Fargo is the only place on Earth that I know of where the temperature can fluctuate 120 degrees in the span of a week....
Try the Karoo desert in South Africa. Temperatures can fluctuate nearly that much in the span of a day.
Old 09 October 2009, 01:07 PM

Default Survivor: Texas

Quote:
Due to the popularity of the Survivor shows, Texas is planning to do its own, entitled Survivor - Texas Style. The contestants will start in Dallas, travel to Waco, Austin, San Antonio, over to Houston and down to Brownsville. They will then proceed up to Del Rio, on to El Paso, then to Midland, Odessa, Lubbock and Amarillo. From there, they'll proceed to Abilene, Ft. Worth and finally back to Dallas.

Each will be driving a pink Volvo with a bumper stickers that read: "I'm gay" "I'm a Vegetarian" "I voted for Al Gore and Obama" "George Strait Sucks" "Obama in 2012" and "I'm here to confiscate your guns!"

The first one to make it back to Dallas alive wins.
Dunno who first forwarded that to me, but I thought it fit the off-topic topic.

Mrs.
Old 09 October 2009, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Enrico View Post
According to a Houston Chronicle article of 10/21/2006, the overall crime rate in Houston decreased in 2006. Violent crime rate rose, with homicide rising by 25 percent. In numbers: As of Oct. 16, 2006 the city had recorded 316 homicides, compared to 252 killings as of October 2005. 65 of these homicides where deemed "Katrina-related," meaning either the victim, suspect or both evacuated to Houston after Katrina.

So,
  • the crime rate didn't double,
  • not even the homicide rate did double,
  • there where 65 Katrina-related homicides (while there were 150,000 Katrina evacuees in Houston), and
  • a homicide was considered Katrina-related even if only the victim was an evacuee.

And, by the way, 150,000 Katrina evacuees in a city of 2 million people doesn't a double population make.

Don Enrico
Sorry, I must have been misinformed. I was quoting something I heard from someone who lived in Houston.
Old 10 October 2009, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropbear View Post
But if you did it as Big brother thing you could show it to all the people in... in..., er, um ... aha! inside the total population compound and then they could watch themselves watching themselves watch themselves in some sort of post-modern, surreal, worm ouriborous programming frenzy.
Dropbear, work on it. I think this would make a great movie Brazil-style. I'm totally going to watch it.