snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Religion

Old 10 April 2007, 03:37 PM

In 2005 I seriously started to think the world was coming to an end. It started with the Tsunami, and that whole following year just sucked from start to finish - war, Katrina, etc. etc. Maybe I was watching the news too much, but you must admit 2005 was bad.

It's not so much that I think God is getting ready to sweep the faithful up to the sky and insert biochips into the rest of us, but more like I think we humans have gotten too arrogant for the earth's own good and she's not going to be able to take much more of it.
Old 10 April 2007, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapdragonfly View Post
The Orthodox Church does not even read from Revelations in their liturgy (IIRC) because they consider it just too easy to misunderstand. I think they are on to something.
There were several episodes of Chris Carter's Millenniumthat made me wish a license was required to write fiction based on Revelation.

"Put the Bible down, Mr. Carter, and step away from keyboard."
Old 10 April 2007, 03:40 PM
Jonny T

Buckleupp, while 2005 did have its bad points, I would question how much this was an increase in badness in general and how much it was simply a few more bad things hitting the US than is usual.
Old 10 April 2007, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny T View Post
Buckleupp, while 2005 did have its bad points, I would question how much this was an increase in badness in general and how much it was simply a few more bad things hitting the US than is usual.
Like I said, I think I was just unwisely paying more attention. Good point though. Later in the year, all we heard about was Katrina, when 9 months previous was one of the worst natural disasters in recorded human history, with millions still injured and displaced, and it's never even mentioned on the news anymore. Why? It wasn't in the US.
Old 10 April 2007, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason13 View Post
The Eastern churches generally didn't include Revelation and other apocalyptic material (such as the popular Revelation of Peter) in their canon until a few centuries into the Christian era.

The Emergence of the New Testament Canon:
That's alright. The east preserved James for the first century or so while the western church rejected it.
Old 16 April 2007, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by We'veBeenHad View Post
People who try to pin down a date go directly against Jesus' own words. (
That's a personal pet peeve of mine.
Old 11 May 2007, 02:29 PM
rusynchick

Read This!

Quote:

The Orthodox Church does not even read from Revelations in their liturgy (IIRC) because they consider it just too easy to misunderstand. I think they are on to something.
ahh yes but if you know orthodox seminarians- thats the favorite book!
Old 25 July 2007, 03:58 AM
KerrTexas

It isn't the Book of Revelations that scares me. There always seems to be some sort of disasters or events that can be used as signals of the end-of-times.
What scares me would be those individuals that feel they need to participate and assist God with bringing about end-of-times.
Old 27 July 2007, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Actually, holding to this view of Revelations (which I do) doesn't even necessarily depend on the date being before 70 AD. It is apocalyptic writing, which is not "prophecy" as in "predicting what is going to happen in the future". It could be written as it happened or even after it happened as a way to explain how to view and interpret the events, without being invalidated at all.

~we just finished several weeks of studying Revelations at my church, so it's still fresh in my mind. My priest holds to the "this is about stuff that happened already in the first century" view - the whole point about Revelation is that "in the end, no matter what happens, God is ultimately in control and things will be okay." I think the idea that it's some sort of history book of the future with exact countries and so forth is ridiculously egocentric - it just HAS to be written about OUR time, doesn't it? Because all of history has just existed to produce US and our little few decades here.

Puhleeze.

Not intending to be too nitpicky, but I'm curious just how deep your study was as you refer to "RevelationS" three times. The book's title is "Revelation" (singular). (It'd be a heck of a lot easier if the book had been titled "The Apocalypse of John"--as it's listed at www.earlychristianwritings.com, a pretty decent site covering much of the writings that were ultimately culled from to create the New Testament as it's now known.)
Aside from that, you're pretty much on the mark.
www.biblegateway.com has a pretty extensive series of commentaries on Revelation (often, commenting on single verses).
Old 27 July 2007, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matches View Post
666 is only the number of the beast in the Latin translation.

In the original Greek the number is 616.

The Nero reference still holds in Greek, which is why most scholars think that is who is being referenced as the Beast.
Then, question. Why do "modern" Greek bibles use "666" as the number?
The Unbound Bible (http://unbound.biola.edu/) has several Greek translations. One that I checked for Rev 13:18 (where the 666 reference appears--KJV "and his number is Six hundred threescore and six") uses the Greek numeral system (using Greek letters for numerals) with the resulting number being 666 (χξς or chi-xi-sigma/digamma) and the other writing out the number as "hexakosioi hexÍkonta hex" (εξακοσιοι εξηκοντα εξ) or "six hundred sixty six". (The first text was the Greek NT: Textus Receptus 1550/1894; the second text was the Greek NT: Westcott/Hort UBS4 variants).
It just seems odd that contemporary Greek translations of the Book of Revelation would deliberately have altered from the ancient Greek. Had the number been "616", the Greek numeral system would be χις (chi-iota-sigma/digamma)--it took long enough to verify the Westcott/Hort translation to read "666" and that was only because I had those Greek words to work from. I don't know what the Greek word for "sixteen" is but it seems unlikely that if it begins with "hex" that there would have been an end "hex" (that'd be like saying six hundred sixteen six, which would come out to 622).
I know I've also read the "original was 616" but the ancient Greek numeral for "6" is an obsolete letter (the s-shaped sigma is used in modern Greek ONLY as a final letter in a word; otherwise, the little-letter sigma looks like σ) so that using the modern Greek alphabet, you skip from 5 (epsilon) to 7 (zeta). The letter sigma in the old numeral system represents 200 which further confuses the matter since the chi-xi-sigma formation would mean 600-60-200 (or 866, but the number 800 is separately represented by omega--900 and 1000 are represented in ancient Greek by two other obsolete letters).