snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Trivia

Old 03 August 2009, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Enrico View Post
Since when is being arrested for stealing "odd" or "strange"?
Probably because she was a British tourist in Thailand and we all know that tourists bring a lot of money so we have to be friendly towards them and let them play their silly little pranks undisturbed.
Old 05 August 2009, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Enrico View Post
Since when is being arrested for stealing "odd" or "strange"?

Don Enrico
Stealing a beer coaster though? if they're the ones I'm thinking about they advertise a brand of beer are made of thick cardstock, (thick being 3-4 mm thick). They're usually given to the bar for free, and kind of are intended to be tossed after use. stealing one is akin to stealing a paper napkin.

I dunno, unless it was a re-usable coaster, which I've never seen in any bar I've been in. Granted I've never been to Thailand...but a lot of people collect those things, and a trip to Thailand would be a great opportunity to get some from a different country.

I can see why it's odd or strange, to be arrested for taking something that in most places is considered trash, and if you ask you're more than welcome to take it. It's easy to assume that all places are like that especially when literally everywhere I've been has given those things out like free pretzels.
Old 05 August 2009, 03:29 AM

Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullMetal View Post
Stealing a beer coaster though? if they're the ones I'm thinking about they advertise a brand of beer are made of thick cardstock, (thick being 3-4 mm thick). They're usually given to the bar for free, and kind of are intended to be tossed after use. stealing one is akin to stealing a paper napkin.
I wonder if the story actually relates to an Australian woman who was imprisoned in Phuket for stealing a bar mat similar to this one. It was also alleged she tried to run off and she admitted to having tried to bribe the police.

I couldn't find reference to a British woman having been imprisoned for the same reason.

Dropbear
Old 05 August 2009, 06:08 AM

Judge

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullMetal View Post
Stealing a beer coaster though? *snip*

I can see why it's odd or strange, to be arrested for taking something that in most places is considered trash, and if you ask you're more than welcome to take it. It's easy to assume that all places are like that especially when literally everywhere I've been has given those things out like free pretzels.
But even then it wouldn't be a case of a strange law - the law "taking away things that belong to someone else is an offence" seems quite universal to me. The odd thing would be that it is enforced over an item of minimal worth. But even that doesn't seem odd to me, I can imagine circumstances that might lead to an arrest for stealing a beer coaster here, too.

Maybe it's because I'm a lawyer...

Don Enrico
Old 07 September 2009, 04:05 PM

Reading

I've often been wondering, whether these odd laws cannot be catgorized somehow. Like

A: Actual law in the books
-A1: enforced
-A2: theoretically in effect, but not enforced anymore
-A3: still in the books but superseded by newer or "superior" laws
B: Used to be a law, but is not anymore
C: Technically correct, but not a law as such
-C1: excessive superspecification
-C2: two or more laws working together to give this result under certain circumstances
D: Precedent from a court ruling
E: Bogus/UL

Examples:
A3: AFAIK two German states still have the death penalty in the books, but since the constitution clearly states that it has been abolished, that doesn't matter.
C1: Making - often sensible - things sound silly by putting non necessary restrictions on it, making people wonder about exceptions and such. You could say that it is illegal, in the German town of Arnis, to flush a goldfish down a woman's toilet in public buildings during the lunch break. Which is just a derivation from a "No cruelty to animals" law.
C2: I've heard several examples in German news shows, but unfortunately cannot remember any specifics. The general idea is: law A might define some establishment that sells food as technically a restaurant, law B makes provisions about safety in public places and suddenly you get "You may not eat sausages bought at a flea market next to the stand selling it" because of it being on a parking area or suchlike.
D: could be a subcat of C1 maybe. A judge finds someone guilty of a misdemeanor because he did or did not something specific, which then is presented as a general law about this specific thing (because the court in Arnis did not say anything about a men's restroom).