snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Trivia

Old 04 June 2007, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imjustasteph View Post
Here's the thing. AUDIO was being recorded, not visual. Why the heck would he have had to put a carrot in his mouth to begin with? For chewing sounds, he could have munched a different crunchy veggie. The audience SEES Bugs eating a carrot, no one would've thought to say, hmm, sounds more like celery to me.

So I personally don't believe this at all.
Indeed, Carrots probably were more authentic, but I remember Blanc using other vegetables.

Quote:
Various substitutes, such as celery, were tried, but none of them sounded like a carrot. So for the sake of expedience as well as personal taste, he would munch and then spit the carrot bits into a spittoon rather than swallowing them, and continue with the dialogue.
It sounds like the audio technicians and the directors werent satisfied with the sounds of other vegitables.

Last edited by diddy; 04 June 2007 at 04:31 PM.
Old 07 June 2007, 08:12 AM

Read This!

I didn't think it was necessary to start a new thread about these random "facts" I found on this site. There are several lists of facts like this one. Just gotta love these things...

ETA: These facts seem so random, that they seem to come out as a parody of these kind of fact lists.

1. To human taste buds, Zima is virtually indistinguishable from zebra urine.

2. SCUBA divers cannot pass gas at depths of 33 feet or below.

3. The Boeing 747 is capable of flying upside-down if it weren't for the fact that the wings would shear off when trying to roll it over.

4. Male rhesus monkeys often hang from tree branches by their amazing prehensile penises.

5. The increased electricity used by modern appliances is causing a shift in the Earth's magnetic field. By the year 2327, the North Pole will be located in mid-Kansas, while the South Pole will be just off the coast of East Africa.

6. In the weightlessness of space a frozen pea will explode if it comes in contact with Pepsi.

7. The Venezuelan brown bat can detect and dodge individual raindrops in mid-flight, arriving safely back at his cave completely dry.

8. Due to the natural "momentum" of the ocean, saltwater fish cannot swim backwards.

9. Although difficult, it's possible to start a fire by rapidly rubbing together two Cool Ranch Doritos.

10. In WWII the US military planned to airdrop over France propaganda in the form of Playboy magazine, with coded messages hidden in the models' turn-ons and turn-offs. The plan was scrapped because of a staple shortage due to rationing of metal.

11. Due to the angle at which the optic nerve enters the brain, staring at a blue surface during sex greatly increases the intensity of orgasms.

12. Urine from male cape water buffaloes is so flammable that some tribes use it for lantern fuel.

13. Approximately one-sixth of your life is spent on Wednesdays.

14. Until 1978, Camel cigarettes contained minute particles of real camels.

15. Human saliva has a boiling point three times that of regular water.

16. In 1843, a Parisian street mime got stuck in his imaginary box and consequently died of starvation.

17. The volume of water that the Giant Sequoia tree consumes in a 24-hour period contains enough suspended minerals to pave 17.3 feet of a 4-lane concrete freeway.

18. The skin needed for elbow transplants must be taken from the scrotum of a cadaver.

19. Silly Putty was "discovered" as the residue left behind after the first latex condoms were produced. It's not widely publicized for obvious reasons.

20. Polar bears can eat as many as 86 penguins in a single sitting.
Old 07 June 2007, 09:25 AM

Quote:
13. Approximately one-sixth of your life is spent on Wednesdays.
Wouldn't that be one-seventh
Old 07 June 2007, 10:28 AM

Quote:
5. The increased electricity used by modern appliances is causing a shift in the Earth's magnetic field. By the year 2327, the North Pole will be located in mid-Kansas, while the South Pole will be just off the coast of East Africa.
The earth's magnetic field has been shifting since it exists. This has nothing to do with modern appliances.

Quote:
16. In 1843, a Parisian street mime got stuck in his imaginary box and consequently died of starvation.
This entry gives away the list as a joke.

From the OP's list:
Quote:
20. A 'jiffy' is a unit of time for 1/100th of a second.
A jiffy can be 1/60 or 1/50 of a second (electronics), 1/100th or 1/250th or 1/1000th of a second (computing, depending on the hardware platform), or 10^-23 seconds (physics).

Don Enrico

Last edited by Don Enrico; 07 June 2007 at 10:42 AM.
Old 07 June 2007, 11:37 AM

Ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceiling Fan View Post
20. Polar bears can eat as many as 86 penguins in a single sitting.
How would a polar bear get 86 penguins to eat in a single sitting, is it using some kind of net to capture them all at once?
Old 07 June 2007, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Enrico View Post
This entry gives away the list as a joke.
I thought the polar bear / penguin one, and the fact that it's on a site called "moronland", and all the others in the list did that too.
Old 07 June 2007, 03:33 PM

Default make it yours....

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrometheusX303 View Post
Wikipedia says : The origin of the 7 Up name is unclear. The most popular story is that its creator named the soft drink after seeing a cattle brand with the number 7 and the letter u.[2] Other rumors suggest that the name reflects the drink's seven flavors and carbonation (the bubbles go "up"), that the bottle contained seven ounces, that its creator came up with the name while playing dice, or that even it was the 7th large commercial lemonade brand that taste the same. There is also the rumour that the name was created because the company had previously failed six times, hence the name "7- up".[2] Before the formula change in 2006, looking on a can of 7up included 7 ingredients. The "Up" in the drink's name might refer to the original inclusion of Lithium, an anti-depressant.

Some people mistakenly believe that the name 7 Up comes from the fact that its pH is 7.0 and therefore neutral. This is not the case: the pH of 7 Up is comparable to many other soft drinks. At a pH of 3.67,[3] Diet 7 Up is less acidic than lemon juice (pH 2.3), vinegar (pH 2.9) or wine (pH 3.5)[4].
And here I thought it was so they could have a funny jingle: 7-up yours.
Old 07 June 2007, 03:38 PM

Icon05 But still...

Quote:
Originally Posted by diddy View Post
Indeed, Carrots probably were more authentic, but I remember Blanc using other vegetables.

It sounds like the audio technicians and the directors werent satisfied with the sounds of other vegitables.
Mmmkay....so why not either chew the carrot ONCE and then use the recording of that on future cartoons or......gasp.....STUNT DOUBLE!!! Get in here and chew this carrot! We can't have Bugs Bunny retching on the set!
Old 07 June 2007, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imjustasteph View Post
Mmmkay....so why not either chew the carrot ONCE and then use the recording of that on future cartoons or......gasp.....STUNT DOUBLE!!! Get in here and chew this carrot! We can't have Bugs Bunny retching on the set!
My recollection was that Bugs chewed and talked at the same time. If he is like most voice artists he just does a bunch of cartoons in one sesssion due to the number of dialogue that he did combined with the number of cartoons.

To get a realistic sound of chewing while talking, the easiest way would be to chew and talk. Since the dialogs changed (and he probably only had to actually chew once or twice) that would eliminate re-using sound. Getting a stunt double probably would be costly and would necessitate more editing.

But even so. Mel did it and his biography says how. It could very well be that they preferred just having Mel doing both and were not satisfied with other options. Blanc was a very busy person afterall.
Old 07 June 2007, 06:10 PM

Quote:
10. A pig's orgasm lasts for 30 minutes.
My wife calls me a pig sometimes, but I just cannot live up to the name.

Quote:
10. In WWII the US military planned to airdrop over France propaganda in the form of Playboy magazine, with coded messages hidden in the models' turn-ons and turn-offs. The plan was scrapped because of a staple shortage due to rationing of metal.
Well, see, now, this is so obviously false. Playboy magazine didn't launch until 1953. (Ha ha, bet you thought this would link to Playboy's website, huh?)
Old 07 June 2007, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dondi View Post

Well, see, now, this is so obviously false. Playboy magazine didn't launch until 1953. (Ha ha, bet you thought this would link to Playboy's website, huh?)
I remember from my days shelving books at my college library, there was a "Playboy" magazine collection from the 1920's on the shelf. Mostly stories with some risque drawings. The newer Playboy was kept in special collections, apparently for "research" purposes only.

Link to the library's online listing: http://roger.ucsd.edu/record=b2714325