snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Business Bytes

Old 04 March 2018, 03:46 PM

Icon27 Advertisers ask YouTube to pull ads from Alex Jones' channels

YouTube told CBS News Saturday that it is not planning on taking down InfoWars founder Alex Jones' YouTube channel, despite his earlier claims on Twitter and in videos. Additionally, YouTube confirmed that some advertisers had asked to be removed from running ads from Jones' channels, and YouTube had notified him of that.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/youtube...s-advertisers/
Old 04 March 2018, 05:43 PM

Oy vey. He is not being censored, there are market forces that are influencing his power. Not the same thing. If you say hateful things, people will not want to be connected with your brand.
Old 04 March 2018, 05:52 PM

There's no difference to the Freeze Peach crowd.

Well, so long as it's their ideas that aren't getting presented- you don't hear them complaining about anyone else's ideas being no-platformed.
Old 05 March 2018, 04:32 PM

It’s worse than that. Sargon Of Akkad recently had his channel suspended, and went crying to two other prominent (and I use that word loosely) figures. (Sorry, O Gods of Sensible Discussion: That’s a PJW interview. The other guy is Stefan Molyneux, who has a separate video, but I don’t watch Stefan or Sargon anyway)

If watching that is unbearable, can we at least keep in mind that Sargon’s real name is Carl? Because apparently going to a guy named Paul is the right thing to do here.
Old 05 March 2018, 05:06 PM

It's highly doubtful that routinely and immediately calling any school shooting survivor a crisis actor, with zero evidence for it and tons against, could be considered protected free speech. I'm surprised there haven't been more lawsuits by the slandered parties.

But it absolutely is not random advertisers responsibility to pay Jones to lie. He was demonetized because nobody wants to pay to have their brand name associated with his lies. Youtube is a private business, and it isn't their responsibility to have to use bandwidth hosting things that they can't sell to advertisers and will only make their other content less attractive as a platform.

This is a private business matter, not a free speech issue. I don't think any Alex Jones fans would be complaining about free speech rights being violated if Breitbart.com declined to put a letter to the editor from Colin Kaepernick on their front page. They don't have to put anything on their website that they don't want to, because they're a private company, and they don't have any free speech obligations to host third party content that they don't want to.

Alex Jones is free to start up AlexJones.com and host his own videos. He has no argument to try to strongarm other companies to not only host it for him for free but pay him for the privilege. They have rights too.
Old 06 March 2018, 01:14 PM

Roll eyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneeze042 View Post
Oy vey. He is not being censored, there are market forces that are influencing his power. Not the same thing. If you say hateful things, people will not want to be connected with your brand.
Ya think?
I do some serious eye rolling when a private, non-governmental, entity business muzzles someone and that someone cries CENSORSHIP!! If the government on any level is not involved, then it's not censorship, it's the free market/private enterprise at work. You'd think someone like Jones would know that. I dunno--I've never heard him, so I don't know his position on free markets.
Last time I checked, YouTube was not supported by any government in any way. Get over yourself Mr. Jones.
Old 06 March 2018, 01:25 PM

Based on the excerpts of Alex Jones I've heard on other shows, he probably thinks there are no free markets since everyone is being mind controlled by fluoride, the Illuminati, and/or crab people.
Old 06 March 2018, 02:05 PM

Icon27

Crab people? I thought we were being controlled by lizard people.
Old 06 March 2018, 02:23 PM

That's what the crab people want us to believe.
Old 07 March 2018, 07:09 AM

I heard the crab people ate all the lizard people.
Old 07 March 2018, 10:27 AM

This man got close to the truth, but no one took him seriously.