snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Diversions > Urban Legends Contest

Old 16 October 2018, 01:14 PM

1. What 1888 poem is set in the town of Mudville? Casey at the Bat.

2. In some Islamic traditions, what can a man do by repeating the word "talaq" three times? Divorce his wife?

4. Between 1994 and 2000, what American company tried unsuccessfully to register the iconic sound of its engines? Harley Davidson?

5. The passenger pigeon, Carolina parakeet, Labrador duck, great auk, Eskimo curlew, and pinnated grouse are the six now-extinct species of the 435 immortalized by whom? Charles Audubon?

6. What famous woman became director of the Red Cross's new radiology service in Paris during World War I? Marie Curie?
Old 16 October 2018, 01:21 PM

2. In some Islamic traditions, what can a man do by repeating the word "talaq" three times?

Get a divorce

4. Between 1994 and 2000, what American company tried unsuccessfully to register the iconic sound of its engines?*

Harley Davidson

5. The passenger pigeon, Carolina parakeet, Labrador duck, great auk, Eskimo curlew, and pinnated grouse are the six now-extinct species of the 435 immortalized by whom?

John James Audubon

6. What famous woman became director of the Red Cross's new radiology service in Paris during World War I?

Maria Skłodowska Curie
Old 16 October 2018, 01:53 PM

1. I can (sort of) remember a few lines from it, but I don't know if I ever knew the title... actually I had the vague idea that it was some sort of parody from Mad magazine, so am surprised to find that it's from 1888!

2. Divorce his wife.

3. No idea

4. Harley Davidson.

5. Now I've managed to work out what the question is, I think the answer must be Audubon (as in, those are the species of birds that he included in his bird book that have since gone extinct). I wonder why the ivory-billed woodpecker isn't on the list? Maybe he missed it in the first place.

6. Marie Curie?

I have no idea about number 7 either at the moment.
Old 16 October 2018, 02:23 PM

Icon05

1. What 1888 poem is set in the town of Mudville?
Casey at the Bat

2. In some Islamic traditions, what can a man do by repeating the word "talaq" three times?
Divorce

3. Because of Michael Jordan's baseball hiatus, the top NBA scorer of the 1990s was by a wide margin what player, who played the whole decade for the same team?
In the words of Chico Escuela: Basketball - I don't know.

4. Between 1994 and 2000, what American company tried unsuccessfully to register the iconic sound of its engines?
Harley Davidson

5. The passenger pigeon, Carolina parakeet, Labrador duck, great auk, Eskimo curlew, and pinnated grouse are the six now-extinct species of the 435 immortalized by whom?
J. J. Audubon

6. What famous woman became director of the Red Cross's new radiology service in Paris during World War I?
Marie Curie

7. What unusual distinction is shared by each of these comedians? Louie Anderson, Roseanne Barr, John Candy, Bill Cosby, Howie Mandel, Rick Moranis, Richard Pryor, Paul Reubens, Robin Williams, Al Yankovic.
They all are/have been overweight, are dead, or are in jail?
Old 16 October 2018, 02:56 PM

Casey At the Bat.

Divorce his wife.

4. Between 1994 and 2000, what American company tried unsuccessfully to register the iconic sound of its engines?

Harley Davidson?

Audubon.

Madame Curie? (I'm not doing really well at remembering first names right now.)
Old 16 October 2018, 03:21 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by DadOf3 View Post
THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

Casey At the Bat
Quote:

Divorce his wife--but she doesn't have the same right, IIRC.
Quote:

3. Because of Michael Jordan's baseball hiatus, the top NBA scorer of the 1990s was by a wide margin what player, who played the whole decade for the same team?
Sports question! Therefore, this answer is highly likely to be wrong. Julius Irving, aka Dr. J.
Quote:

Sounds like something Harley Davidson would try.
Quote:

John James Audubon, who helped them along by killing the samples he drew.
Quote:

Hmm. What famous woman would work with radiology? Gee, I guess it might be Marie Curie
Quote:

7. What unusual distinction is shared by each of these comedians? Louie Anderson, Roseanne Barr, John Candy, Bill Cosby, Howie Mandel, Rick Moranis, Richard Pryor, Paul Reubens, Robin Williams, Al Yankovic.
I have no clue, but at least I know who all of them are (except Louie Anderson. I'm a little vague on him).

Seaboe
Old 16 October 2018, 03:34 PM

1. What 1888 poem is set in the town of Mudville? Casey at the Bat

2. In some Islamic traditions, what can a man do by repeating the word "talaq" three times? Divorce

5. The passenger pigeon, Carolina parakeet, Labrador duck, great auk, Eskimo curlew, and pinnated grouse are the six now-extinct species of the 435 immortalized by whom? Audubon

6. What famous woman became director of the Red Cross's new radiology service in Paris during World War I? Marie Curie
Old 16 October 2018, 04:30 PM

Baseball 2-4 this week

1. Casey at the Bat

2. Summon Beetlejuice. Just kidding, get a divorce.

3. Dunno. Magic Johnson?

4. Peterbilt? I have no real clue. The sound of a semi starting is the only sound I can think of as "iconic"

5. Probably Audubon

6. Radiology, first part of 20th Century, woman. I can only think of Marie Curie

7. For once I know all the entries in the list, but I don't know what there is common about them all. I'll guess that they all got their start with Second City.
Old 16 October 2018, 07:30 PM

Glasses

UEL, re question three--I think you misread the question.

Seaboe
Old 16 October 2018, 09:24 PM

1. What 1888 poem is set in the town of Mudville? Casey at the Bat

2. In some Islamic traditions, what can a man do by repeating the word "talaq" three times? Divorce his wife (Haven't we had this one before? Or is it a trick question, and the answer is something different?)

3. Because of Michael Jordan's baseball hiatus, the top NBA scorer of the 1990s was by a wide margin what player, who played the whole decade for the same team? WAG - Shaquille O'Neal?

4. Between 1994 and 2000, what American company tried unsuccessfully to register the iconic sound of its engines? Another WAG - Harley-Davidson?

5. The passenger pigeon, Carolina parakeet, Labrador duck, great auk, Eskimo curlew, and pinnated grouse are the six now-extinct species of the 435 immortalized by whom? Audobon?

6. What famous woman became director of the Red Cross's new radiology service in Paris during World War I? Only one that makes sense to me is Marie Curie

7. What unusual distinction is shared by each of these comedians? Louie Anderson, Roseanne Barr, John Candy, Bill Cosby, Howie Mandel, Rick Moranis, Richard Pryor, Paul Reubens, Robin Williams, Al Yankovic. Although I'm familiar with all of their work (unusual for a question 7 for me!), I haven't the foggiest what the common thread is here.
Old 17 October 2018, 12:44 AM

Baseball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post

Seaboe
I know nothing about Basketball, I doubt reading it correctly would help my answer at all.
Old 17 October 2018, 01:52 AM

1. This is one of the few poems I used to know by heart - Casey at the Bat.

2. Sounds sort of familiar - divorce

3. The Mailman delivered! Probably couldn't have done it without John Stockton, this is Karl Malone.

4. Harley Davidson?

5. Audubon?

6. I had no idea about this, but it has to be Marie Curie, right?

7. Hmm. I feel like I might get this one if I think for a while.
Old 17 October 2018, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post

Seaboe
I almost feel like I'm being punked here. When I read this, I went to check what UEL put, saw his answer and thought, yeah, he was mostly an '80s player. Then I checked your answer, and saw you went with a mostly '70s player. I then went back and checked my answer and the question, to see if I really misread the question.

I hope you don't mind me asking, but what did you think was wrong with UELs answer? I have no idea if I'm missing a joke, or if one of us has some misconceptions about basketball and that could easily be me, since I've only ever cared about my home team while I was going to college. (Which is why I'm sure I got the right answer to that one.)
Old 17 October 2018, 06:42 AM

Mostly guesses this time again:

Divorce his wife. That's the one I'm sure about.

Harley Davidson.

Marie Curie
Old 17 October 2018, 07:09 AM

The only thing I can think of for number 7 is that they I know at least six of them auditioned for the part of Darth Vader in the original Star Wars. But I know that can't be it because Weird Al was only like 16? at the time.
Old 17 October 2018, 12:48 PM

1. Casey at the Bat.

2. Divorce his wife.

3. No idea.

4. Harley Davidson.

5. Audubon.

6. Marie Curie.

7. For once I know everyone on the list, but no common thread is coming to me.
Old 17 October 2018, 05:13 PM

I have a thought for question 7:

They all appeared in Saturday morning kid's shows? There was a short-lived Roseanne cartoon (can't recall the title), "Camp Candy," "Life with Louie," more than one for Cosby, The Weird Al Show, Pee-Wee's Playhouse... the only one I'm not sure of is Pryor (although if true, that must have been something to behold). Mandel was in "Bobby's World," and I'm pretty sure there was a Mork & Mindy cartoon at one point as well. I think there was a "Honey, I Shrunk the Kids" cartoon or live-action show at some point. I think that for the animated ones, the comedians appeared in live action segments to either introduce or bookend the cartoons.
Old 17 October 2018, 05:38 PM

I had a similar thought -- though a little less specific. The two I couldn't account for were Yankovic and Pryor. I'm looks like Yankovic does fit, so my guess is essentially the same as yours. And I'm very curious how Pryor fits in, but I'm guessing he does.
Old 17 October 2018, 06:05 PM

Erwins, Richard Pryor was in a short lived kid's show, Pryor's Place.
Old 17 October 2018, 06:43 PM

On a (possibly) tangentially related note:

Richard Pryor's ABCs

Note: the above is not from the show in question, but from Sesame Street!