snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Amusement Bark

Old 25 May 2018, 08:31 PM

Saw Solo last night, and loved it. It is probably my favorite of the Disney SW movies. I loved the entire cast. The movie could easily have the alternate title of Han and Chewie: A Love Story, and it was just what I wanted. I was worried that I would have a problem with it conflicting with how I have them in mind, but that didn't happen.
Old 26 May 2018, 02:03 PM

I saw Solo tonight and I was terribly disappointed by how bad it was.
Old 27 May 2018, 03:15 AM

Mouse

Eh, I don’t really have a strong reason to see Solo. I’ve read the Han Solo trilogy and even if that book is no longer canon, well, I’m happy with the story I’ve sketched out. Sometimes you don’t really want to know every detail of the story.
Old 27 May 2018, 03:52 AM

The whole spat with the original director getting fired and the film being reshot left me with limited interest in seeing it.
Old 27 May 2018, 03:49 PM

Just saw a movie called Girls Just Dance/Breaking Legs.

It's sort of Mean Girls meets Footloose set in the scenery of Juno. It's about this girl named Bloom Courterfield, who moves in with an alcoholic uncle and great grandmother who has dementia after her parents die. While she wants to dance, the town just doesn't have anywhere for her TO dance aside from the school dance team...whose captain hates her for no real adequately explained reason. So she decides that being nice and nominating the captain for a position called Honor Girl is a good idea...until the captain's boyfriend nominates her. So then Bloom decides to go sabotage the vote in the captain's favour...but nearly gets caught and accidentally takes the voting to the line, meaning she actually needs to win the thing now.

It's essentially the characters and some scenes from Mean Girls, the plot of a Bring It On ripoff, the setting from Juno and the dance focus from Footloose. And it only gets crazier from there...right up to a finale that essentially just exists to have a final scene (and then goes on for one scene more to wrap it up and give us a punchline) and an epilogue that takes a sharp left turn into almost complete nonsense. It's like three people just bounced a script between them.

It's worth at least a watch.
Old 30 May 2018, 03:58 AM

Mouse

Okay I’m still not sure if I’m going to see Solo, but I thought I’d see if those who had seen it, can answer a burning question for me. In the pictures, promos, and clips I’ve seen, Donald Glover looks and sounds so damn charming as Lando, that I find myself wondering if Billy Dee Williams cloned himself or there’s some kind of mad science enabling him to control Glover like a puppet. But I realize promos and clips do not tell the whole story, so I thought I’d ask those who had seen the whole movie: are my perceptions gleaned from the trailers accurate or does it turn out that Glover is about as charismatic as cardboard?

If the answer is yes, then it seems even more of a shame that the next character who will get a picture, is Boba Fett.
Old 30 May 2018, 11:44 AM

I saw Solo last night, and I really liked it. Overall, not a bad film. However...

The only thing that I eye-rolled at is that it's 2018 and a conversation between a human and a droid qualified for failing the Bechdel Test.

Ok, for those in the back... female characters can talk to each other about something besides whether or not they like that cute boy...
Old 30 May 2018, 04:35 PM

TGG, does that mean you don't agree with my theory that
Han and Lando are both female non-humans, but just look like male humans?
Old 06 June 2018, 04:41 AM

Mouse

I remain shocked and appalled that no one has addressed my questions regarding Donald Glover. How will I ever find relief from this question that haunts me so?
Old 06 June 2018, 04:46 AM

Glover is actually Billy Dee Williams himself, via time travel.
Old 06 June 2018, 05:29 AM

Mouse

I can believe that. Whenever I’ve seen Glover playing Lando in the promos, he makes me want to renew my commitment to heterosexuality and say cheesy lines like, “Have you seen my pants. Because you seem to have charmed me out of mine.”

I don’t know if they’re going to go through with the Boba Fett movie after this one failed to make the money they were hoping for, but it feels like a crime to give an overrated bit player like Boba Fett his own movie, instead of giving one to Lando. I never got the obsession that all the fanboys seemed to have with Boba Fett. He doesn’t really do anything, except mostly stand in the background, before being taken out by a blind guy with a stick, and winding up trapped inside a massive sand vagina.

Before anyone brings up the EU, those materials have officially been rendered as not part of the canon and in any case, even in those, Boba Fett couldn’t seem to stay out of sand vaginas.
Old 06 June 2018, 05:58 AM

I suspect Fett's popularity was in part because he was such a blank slate that it was easy to write fanfic about him.
Old 06 June 2018, 01:59 PM

I for one am waiting for the return of Lando (rather Billy Dee Williams) in the main saga, I think that’s one of my main dissapointments that he’s not cropped up

I Saw Solo at the weekend and it did exceed my expectations (which were TBH pretty non existant) It did totally fail the Bechdel tests at every juncture which is a crying shame, but on whe whole I enjoyed it (The action sequences were pretty good and the Soundtrack is superb)

For the other anthology movies I wish they pick subjects further outside the main story (which was my main gripe with the choice of Solo, it wasn’t a story that really needs to be told)

The anmouncement of future titles around Kenobi Yoda or Boba Fett garner the response “Meh” from me.

We need something more like Rogue One, which IMO totally smashed it out of the park.

Having said that I wouldn’t be averse to a full length Lando feature with either Glover or Williams (Or even both?)
Old 06 June 2018, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Off View Post

Having said that I wouldn’t be averse to a full length Lando feature with either Glover or Williams (Or even both?)
Father and son? Or a time travel like the Dr Who anniversaries

And to Mouse I found Williams to be very charming also.
Old 06 June 2018, 02:19 PM

[QUOTE=TallGeekyGirl;1979623]I saw Solo last night, and I really liked it. Overall, not a bad film. However...

Double posting to add I found that to be annoying too. And kind of forced. Thank you for
A reminding of it
and
B giving me a term.
Old 06 June 2018, 02:50 PM

For the record, the reason for Boba Fett's popularity goes back to him being the only worthwhile thing to come out of the Star Wars Holiday Special. There was an animated short in that where Boba Fett saves Luke, and pretends to help out the heroes. Partway through, we find that he is really working for Vader, and there is a clash. He escapes with his jet pack, and promises that they will meet again.
So the kids waiting for the sequel had this cool new character who was able to easily defeat things that almost took down Luke and flew around with a jet pack. The meet again bit made us sure he would be in the sequel, and he was. He may not have done all that much, but he was already really popular before the movie.
Star Wars has always relied pretty substantially on things not in the movies informing the movies.
Old 07 June 2018, 03:17 AM

Mouse

I thought the Star Wars Holiday Special was something that we all agreed, regardless of background, to refuse to accept its existence. Not even the Old Testament God would punish humanity by sending the Star Wars Holiday Special down on his enemies.

In any case, I remain baffled by Boba Fett’s popularity for reasons already stated. I can understand Harley Quinn* and Phil Coulson’s popularity—heck, I love them both—but not Boba Fet since he has little sign of a visible personality.

*I’m kind of disappointed that she seems to dress only in fetish gear. C’mon, her animated series look was perfect. Reflected her moniker and well, I have a rule regarding superhero/villain costumes: if they wouldn’t fry bacon in that outfit, you shouldn’t send them out to fight Batman in it.
Old 07 June 2018, 04:31 AM

IIRC, Harley only does the BDSM look in the New 52 Universe, where she's considered messed up compared to the Joker.

It is, however, quite disappointing that other media like the video games inevitably choose that outfit for her.
Old 07 June 2018, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
I thought the Star Wars Holiday Special was something that we all agreed, regardless of background, to refuse to accept its existence. Not even the Old Testament God would punish humanity by sending the Star Wars Holiday Special down on his enemies.

In any case, I remain baffled by Boba Fett’s popularity for reasons already stated. I can understand Harley Quinn* and Phil Coulson’s popularity—heck, I love them both—but not Boba Fet since he has little sign of a visible personality.

*I’m kind of disappointed that she seems to dress only in fetish gear. C’mon, her animated series look was perfect. Reflected her moniker and well, I have a rule regarding superhero/villain costumes: if they wouldn’t fry bacon in that outfit, you shouldn’t send them out to fight Batman in it.
You can pretend it didn't exist, but that does not change that it is the root of Boba Fett's popularity. It was without question the best part of the special. The animation wasn't great, but the story was. Boba Fett came in riding a dinosaur, rescuing Luke from a different dinosaur. He also establishes quite a bit of personality - his opinions on "lower life forms", his cunning, and his involvement with the Empire.
Looking at it after the movies had been finished, it looks like Fett is a horrible character, sure. But looking at just TESB, he really isn't. He's clearly someone that Vader respects, and he's willing to talk back to Vader. Since most people get choked when they do that, it made you wonder what was special about him. He also was the only one to figure out Han's plan, and to figure out where he was going and set a trap. The trap was successful, he got what he wanted, and he got away clean. He detected the hero Jedi trying to sneak up on them as well.
Old 07 June 2018, 01:46 PM

Icon18

It's only in ROTJ that he gets "wussed"; up until ESB, he was a tough customer, cunning and devious.