snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Amusement Bark

Old 15 October 2018, 04:02 AM

The worst thing about TLJ was that all the discussions about its legitimate flaws (such as poor pacing, the bombers In Space, or the issues with leadership portrayal among the Resistance) got massively overshadowed by whining about women having lead roles or Luke not being as badass as he was in the complainer's fanfics.
Old 15 October 2018, 07:22 AM

After finding that absolutely nobody had any information on whether or not Gypsy was appropriate for my nephew, I figured that the only objectionable part was Gypsy’s actual career (you know, the part where she becomes Gypsy Rose Lee). Also, what exactly are Mazeppa, Electra and Tessie Tura? They say they’re strippers, but Gypsy is the only one who even can remove her clothes.
Old 24 October 2018, 11:12 PM

Nobody been to seen A Star is Born? The version I know best is the Judy Garland one.

I thought it was really well done, especially Jack's addiction. It didn't seem like it was there for the plot, but a natural part of his life, especially given his early life. And while the ending can be guessed by pretty much everybody, I was expecting him to get on his motorcycle and crash, echoing the questionable death of James Mason's version. The motorcycle seemed to be foreshadowed by Ally telling him she'd never ride with him if he had been drinking. Of course, him hanging himself was foreshadowed as he'd tried that earlier in his life. I also thought it interesting that Ally's "selling out" was basically when she performed as Lady Gaga would.

The one thing I didn't like was that the romance felt rushed. I think they had the runtime as they (wisely) didn't have the subplot about Jack not being able to find Ally. It seemed a classic "love at first sight" romance when the rest of the movie seemed to be a very realistic view of what goes on in the entertainment world.

ETA: Andrew Dice Clay is a decent actor, I'm not sure I would have recognized him if I hadn't already heard that he was in the movie. Also, the people next to us in the theatre blamed Rez Gavron for then ending. I don't think that was fair to the character. He was doing what he could to protect his client (and investment), he wasn't trying to cause what happened.

Nice shoutout to how Jack's brother was working for Willie (Nelson) as Willie Nelson's son was Bradley Cooper's teacher and his band was Jack's band in the movie.
Old 24 October 2018, 11:45 PM

I will admit to referring to Gavron's character as "evil MFer manager" in a text to a friend.
Old 30 October 2018, 01:53 AM

The Beyond, on Netflix. Documentary-style SF movie, best comparable to the 2016 movie Arrival. At 92 minutes, it's not actually a long movie, but the style forces a somewhat glacial pace, and I thought it felt rather longer than in actuality ("I spent a week in Pittsburgh last Saturday"). Still, while the execution was somewhat lacking, the concept was interesting, and a fan of Arrival might enjoy The Beyond.

Cleared the last movie off of my Netflix instant queue! What's left are ongoing shows with upcoming new seasons.
Old 30 October 2018, 02:52 AM

Ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
Nobody been to seen A Star is Born? The version I know best is the Judy Garland one.
I’ve been contemplating seeing the new one, but I’m having a hard time convincing myself to saddle up for another self-serving "hooray for the entertainment industry" drama. I personally prefer the 1937 A Star is Born over the Garland version. The Garland version is just too... kitschy.

If they’re going to keep remaking it, at the very least they could give some relative unknown a chance at a breakout with the lead role for the emotional impact. As it is, it’s just people who have already made it giving themselves a pat on the back with a few million dollars more thrown in for padding. Who cares? They go on and on about diversity, but then keep carving out roles for themselves.

Last edited by ASL; 30 October 2018 at 02:57 AM.
Old 12 November 2018, 03:53 AM

Vincent Has No Scales, a French... well... superhero movie, of sorts. Quiet, understated, virtually no SFX whatsoever, minimal dialogue. Vincent has incredible super-strength in water, including wet clothes or a quick splash from a water bottle. A chance intervention during a fight at his workplace reveals him to the authorities. Complications ensue. I enjoyed it, found it pretty well paced, and liked the minimalist approach. Found this on the Roku Channel, not sure where else it might be lurking.
Old 12 November 2018, 02:27 PM

I bought the Blu-Ray for Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again.

Once you get past the obvious discrepancies between this movie and the last one (like that bit where a decade just seems to vanish, leaving Donna and the Dynamos just looking weird) this becomes enjoyable. However, I felt half the songs sounded crowbarred in (“When I Kissed The Teacher” just jumped out) and I was really distracted by the background music, which didn’t seem to do much other than just be random ABBA songs.

That said, the end is brilliant, and Pierce Brosnan seems to have taken some voice lessons.
Old 17 November 2018, 04:59 PM

I gave Grease 2 a re-watch. It has some seriously bizarre moments, but some of the songs are catchy at least. I do however have a couple of questions:

Michael does some serious jumps while wrecking the Cycle Lords, and is somehow a better rider than the T-Birds. Did they really not think he could make THAT jump?
And is it just me or do the people clear the auditorium amazingly quickly before “Cool Rider” is sung?
Old 23 November 2018, 02:31 AM

Computer

Ralph Breaks the Internet: Fun film, lots of good humor and good "message moments," but definitely not as "tight" and cohesive as the first film. In the original, the cameos by various real video game characters were a nice addition, but the story could have proceeded entirely without them. This time, with the whole internet to draw from, the cameos, references, in-jokes, and so on pretty much take over, and the main conflict seems forced. It suffers I think from trying to fit too much in, and the whole business with the Princesses, as fun as it was, kind of took things off-track. (I strongly suspect they also had to cut out one major subplot for lack of time -- it could practically have been an entire movie on its own.) Seems like it also broke a few of the rules from the first film (Ralph is clearly away from his game for over a day, and no one seems bothered by it, whereas in the first film it was *the* crisis around which the entire plot revolved). It also lacked the marvelous villain that was King Candy in the original, though I was glad to see they still found a good, if small, part for Alan Tudyk.

Still worth seeing, and a nice visual treat. (The post-credit scene joke was also given away by paying attention to the credits, but it's still cute.)

The first user review I saw on IMDB complained that in the second half, they "shoved politics in," giving no details. I don't know what the hell movie he was watching...
Old 23 November 2018, 03:25 AM

There's a substantial group of people who think that anything that shows something other than 50s era depictions of white people is "forcing politics" into a work.
Old 23 November 2018, 04:12 AM

Yeah, the closest I can think of is the joke you may have seen in one of the trailers, where the Disney Princesses are quizzing Vanellope about what kind of Princess she is, and Rapunzel asks: " Do people assume all your problems got solved because a big strong man showed up?" And she answers, "Yes! What's up with that?" There are a few things that follow up on that theme, which I won't spoil, but if that's some kind of radical feminism, then radical feminism is in real trouble.

Otherwise, it's just stuff about following your dreams and being a good friend. Mr. Rogers was more political.
Old 23 November 2018, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
There's a substantial group of people who think that anything that shows something other than 50s era depictions of white people is "forcing politics" into a work.
How do those guys react when they find out that A Midsummer Nights Dream fully intends the joke when the woman taps that ass?
Old 23 November 2018, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jusenkyo no Pikachu View Post
How do those guys react when they find out that A Midsummer Nights Dream fully intends the joke when the woman taps that ass?
Heads explode.
Old 24 November 2018, 02:56 AM

Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
Exactly. Apparently there were never any political themes in Star Wars. Though the central plotline involves a scruffy band of rebels fighting against a quasi-fascist organization that utilizes Nazi imagery and rhetoric, somehow there’s nothing political about it. I’m just being all silly and female when I notice stuff like that.

Like I said before, I want to egg on pretty much every entertainment franchise out there—be it TV, film, or dirty limericks scrawled on bathroom stalls—to keep adding diversity. Cram in as many women, PoC, and LGBT characters as possible. Make the fanboys scream at the injustice of it all. With any luck, they will realize, “You know, I’m able to enjoy this story despite the protagonist having boobs/skin darker than a paper bag/being attracted to someone of the same gender,” and finally grow the NFBSK up. Or they’ll scream themselves into apoplexy. Either way, the fandom and the world would be a much more tolerable place.

Anyway, I finally got out to see Bohemian Rhapsody and I am currently gobsmacked. I don’t know if Oscar noms have been made yet, but in the very least, Rami Malek deserves a nom, if not a win. I imagine much of the singing was lip syncing, but the way he so embodied Freddie, I was wondering if they had used some kind of magic to summon the actual Freddie Mercury for the role. It’s probably for the best that they didn’t though. If entertainment has taught me anything, resurrecting the dead seldom ends well for anyone who isn’t Jesus.

Of course, I did find myself rueing that I couldn’t really throw myself into the movie, really express my enjoyment via song and dance. I know there’s a reason we expect people to behave themselves at the movies, but this movie felt like the kind more worthy of a communal experience. Don’t need to throw things at the screen ala Rocky Horror, but having some special screenings set aside for those who want to dress up and sing and dance would be really cool. Queen the band demanded the participation of its audience and any movie about them, should reflect that.

For years, I was like, “Why were you all shocked to find out that Freddie Mercury was gay?” but apparently he was bisexual. I apologize for this, but I stand by my assertions that even by the standards of 80s rock, Freddie Mercury couldn’t be anymore flaming if he was actually on fire. And I remain jealous about his ability to rock a miniskirt better than I do and I’m a heterosexual female.
Old 24 November 2018, 03:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
Exactly. Apparently there were never any political themes in Star Wars. Though the central plotline involves a scruffy band of rebels fighting against a quasi-fascist organization that utilizes Nazi imagery and rhetoric, somehow there’s nothing political about it. I’m just being all silly and female when I notice stuff like that.
It used nazi imagery, yes, but did the Empire have any discernible political ideology, much less nazism? Did the rebellion, for that matter? Did the struggle between the Empire and the Rebels in any way comment on the ills of nazism? (ETA: or any other political ideology, beyond "absolute monarchy bad, republic good"? And was it ethical to use nazi imagery for effect, without actually doing anything to critique the underlying ideology?)

There’s a difference between in-universe politics (which may or may not have parallels in the real world) vs those that seem to require an external viewer with preconceived notions dated to their own particular (external to the film) time period to make any sense of. I personally get annoyed by the latter, particularly when it’s done clumsily. A classic example would be the references to drone warfare and contractors in Star Trek Into Darkness. It dates the film to the Iraq War period and as such seems out of place in a 23rd century setting. Did these issues just all of the sudden come up for the first time ever? Whose future is this?

Last edited by ASL; 24 November 2018 at 03:30 AM.
Old 24 November 2018, 03:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
No, it’s not politics when a rebellion goes up against oppressors.

It’s politics when the rebellion is led by a woman, or has women in high positions.

It’s politicser when the woman is not a seductress.

And it’s so much politics when we ignored when the same franchise started out doing the exact same thing, because if the hero was a guy we focused on him but if she was a girl we dismissed it as being “girly”.
Old 24 November 2018, 03:48 AM

Mouse

My point, ASL and Jusenkyo, is that all art is political. I was hoping my usage of Star Wars pointed out the idiocy of hating art for being political. Like it or not, all forms of fiction are basically expressing a political viewpoint regarding some issue going on in the world.
Old 24 November 2018, 04:04 AM

Soapbox

Sure, but some art manages to integrate its politics and social issues into the subject matter better than others. La guernica wouldn’t be the same if it had been a photograph of some ruins with a caption reading "war is bad and you should feel bad." Too often, that’s what "politics" amounts to in popular entertainment and I think the criticism of films like TLJ for that kind of "hey, war profiteering is bad! animal cruelty is bad! asking female leaders to explain themselves is bad!" attempt at a messaging is valid. Doesn’t make me sexist just because I am a man and think that Admiral Holdo and Leia both were absolutely terrible leaders in TLJ. If they’d have been men, I’d have felt the same and would be just as loud. I don’t even mind the purple hair and the dress. She just sucked as a leader and Leia displayed moral cowardice. So did Luke—but then nobody is holding Luke's unwillingness to intervene up as a great example of heroic pacifism or sublime whathaveyouism.
Old 24 November 2018, 04:09 AM

I’m aware. I was actually going more for “people hating on Star Wars for powerful women” when Princess Leia was snippy as hell towards Tarkin, defeated measures designed to give up the location of the rebel base, and doesn’t go immediately into a funk when Alderaan is destroyed.

Also, she’s mentioned as being a member of the Senate, outright lies to both Vader and Tarkin, and actually manages to think on her feet, while the most stereotypically manly member of the group is kind of a wuss.