snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Rantidote

Old 23 October 2018, 05:58 PM

Icon24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esprise Me View Post
I've used those reusable ice cubes too. Mostly I'll throw one in a glass of red to get it down from room temp to cellar temp, but a handful in a glass of warm white wine works too.
I've got a set of whiskey rocks that works pretty good if you want the cooler whiskey without watering it down.
Old 23 October 2018, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachlife! View Post
I'm not sure it wouldn't slow things down. The glass is still the barrier the cold needs to penetrate and the towel might insulate it from the colder freezer air.
That's what I was thinking. The freezer has to cool down the water saturating the towel before it starts to cool down the wine. You're not trying to "conduct cold" through to the wine, you're trying to remove heat from the wine, and adding something else that needs to be cooled down around it is probably going to make that take more time - unless there's some sort of fan circulating air around, and heat is lost through evaporation within the freezer itself, but I don't think any domestic freezers work like that.

I find that just putting the bottle in the freezer for ten minutes works OK. You can also get sleeves which are made from material like freezer packs and that will slip over a bottle to chill it or keep it cold outside the freezer - since those are usually already in my ice compartment and at the ambient freezer temperature, I slip one of those over the bottle to help, and leave it on once I've taken the bottle out.

The wine will certainly freeze solid if you forget it, though - I found this in the freezer at my parents' house one Christmas a few years ago:

To be fair my parents wouldn't have put it in there - they thought it must have been a guest at an event they'd held a few weeks before who'd forgotten about it and they'd not looked in the ice compartment since then themselves! It was perfectly drinkable once thawed.
Old 23 October 2018, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
It was perfectly drinkable once thawed.
There is of course a risk that the bottle will break due to expansion of the contents.
Old 23 October 2018, 09:33 PM

Icon24

Since it's already frozen, try pouring off the part that thaws first. You might get a nice liqueur! (Probably not but it's worth a shot.)
Old 23 October 2018, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
I find the reusable ice cubes aren't really worth it, unless you use a lot of them. They don't stay cold all that long, IME.

Seaboe
Is the point to keep things colder for longer than regular ice would? I thought it was to cool a drink without diluting it. Which, if they don't stay cold, would tend to indicate they work well.
Old 24 October 2018, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esprise Me View Post
Is the point to keep things colder for longer than regular ice would? I thought it was to cool a drink without diluting it. Which, if they don't stay cold, would tend to indicate they work well.
That or to use in places were the water isn't drinkable?
Old 24 October 2018, 03:15 PM

Glasses

To clarify, I didn't think they stayed cold long enough to cool the drink to the temperature I was aiming for, unless you basically filled the glass with them. Them being the reusable ice cubes.

As for the towel around the wine, if the water on the towel is colder than the wine, then I think it would work to speed up chilling the wine.

Seaboe
Old 24 October 2018, 04:48 PM

I always understood that the wet towel is meant to cool by evaporation - the water evaporates and takes the energy it need to do that from the bottle and it's contents, making them cooler in the process. That would work even when the water in the towel is warmer than the bottle - and it works in the fridge because the air is cooler than the bottel, so it's "easier" to draw energy from the bottle than from the air.

But I'm a lawyer, not an engineer, so what do I know...
Old 08 November 2018, 02:43 AM

Mouse

The Internet has been slow as heck where I live. I live in a dust speck town in the middle of nowhere, so I know the infrastructure is crap, but I still think it’s connected to how the US as a whole has shitty Internet. Even though we created the Internet, somehow we managed to wind up with the worst Internet. Nearly every other developed nation enjoys cheaper, more reliable Internet than the US, which is not likely to change any time soon. Because creaky, inefficient corporate monopolies are the American Way, dammit!

Another gripe: I have tried and tried to watch the “Halloween III” episode of The Brooklyn Nine-Nine on Hulu, but it keeps freezing and I have yet to make it to the end.
Old 18 November 2018, 12:29 AM

Anthony Bourdain's roasted chicken recipe specifically says to stuff the cavity with fresh bay leaves and thyme, not dried. Since I already knew Trader Joe's doesn't carry fresh bay leaves, I went to a different store slightly farther away, where I've gotten them before. Except this time they didn't have any in stock. But since I was already there I attempted to do the rest of my shopping there anyway. But they only sherry they carry is dry sherry, and the recipe I was going to use it in is a sweet dessert dish, so I needed sweet sherry. So I ended up just buying marshmallows (another item I'm pretty sure Trader Joe's doesn't carry) there and just going to Trader Joe's for everything else. And I never did get the fresh bay leaves. I guess I'll have to either make a special trip to a third store for them or just settle for a dried bay leaf in my Thanksgiving chicken.
Old 18 November 2018, 12:56 AM

Might not be available at every store, but Trader Joe's does carry marshmallows: https://www.traderjoes.com/FearlessFlyer/Article/4179

Quote:
NOTE: Since posting, the details of this item may have changed due to fluctuating market prices, federal regulations, currency rates, drought, pestilence, bandits, rush hour traffic, filibusters, zombie apocalypse, punctilious product developers... Contact our Crew for current price and availability.
Old 18 November 2018, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
And I never did get the fresh bay leaves. I guess I'll have to either make a special trip to a third store for them or just settle for a dried bay leaf in my Thanksgiving chicken.
It is undoubtedly of no help to you whatsoever to find out that I have a bay tree.

It's currently in a spare bedroom, where it lives during the winter; they're not hardy here, so this one is spending its life as a potted plant. I suppose I could mail you a few leaves, but I doubt they'd get there in time.
Old 20 November 2018, 02:44 AM

Mouse

The Internet is down where I am, forcing me to use my phone to comment on this site, like some kind of peasant. I know it’s one of the consequences of living in the middle of nowhere, but I also think it’s due in part to, like I’ve complained about before, the US has the worst internet. Even though we invented the internet, somehow we managed to wind up with the worst internet in the world.
Old 20 November 2018, 04:44 PM

Icon204

Let's all send vibes to my dog Pearl who had to get her feet wet this past Sunday. We walked around a lake in the park and parts of the path were muddy/wet. There were places where she simply could not avoid getting her little Beagle feet wet. Looks like Pearl needs some pearls to clutch.

Last edited by DawnStorm; 20 November 2018 at 05:05 PM.
Old 20 November 2018, 05:00 PM

My niece dog Bella will be so jealous. She hasn't seen a mud puddle yet that can't be improved by the application of an energetic corgi.

Or the pair of pants that can't be improved by the application of a muddy corgi.
Old 21 November 2018, 01:07 PM

Icon22

Last evening I had my hair cut; I decided to go for the pixie cut because I was tired of the bangs/layered cut look.
Now it feels weird and when I left the salon last evening, my neck got cold.
Old 21 November 2018, 01:14 PM

Whalephant

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
Might not be available at every store, but Trader Joe's does carry marshmallows: https://www.traderjoes.com/FearlessFlyer/Article/4179
Their marshmallows are really good.
Old 26 November 2018, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnStorm View Post
Last evening I had my hair cut; I decided to go for the pixie cut because I was tired of the bangs/layered cut look.
Now it feels weird and when I left the salon last evening, my neck got cold.
I'm kind of opposite. My hair is longer on my neck than it has been in a long time (broken ankle in non-weight bearing cast and my hair salon is up a very long staircase). Now I can feel it on my neck against my pillow and I hate it.
Old 26 November 2018, 03:42 PM

Icon22

The door to my gas tank won't close all the way so I had to order a new part; now I have to wait to hear from the body shop guy about when it comes in.
Old 26 November 2018, 04:06 PM

Glasses

Similar to DawnStorm's issue, the lock on my gas tank door no longer recognized the key I use in the ignition. I have to carry a newer, unworn key in order to get gas. This may be the issue that causes me to get rid of my truck. It only has 276,000 miles on it.

Seaboe