snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Diversions > Urban Legends Contest

Old 05 December 2017, 04:23 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by DadOf3 View Post
THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

1. What real-life Pacific nation did Lemuel Gulliver visit in Gulliver's Travels, after Lilliput, Brobdingnag, and other fictional islands?
Tahiti? I've never read the book, and trivia collections don't generally talk about the real places he went.
Quote:

2. The same two Nashville mega-stars have co-hosted the CMA Awards for ten years straight. Name either one.
George Strait. I'm pretty sure I'm looking at failure again this week.
Quote:

3. What term for any inherently powerful or fixated-upon object did Hegel borrow from the carved religious charms of West Africa?
Fetish. Finally, one I think I know.
Quote:

4. What two Spanish states were merged into a single dynasty by the 1469 marriage of Ferdinand and Isabella?
Arghh. Another one I know that I suddenly can't remember. Aragon & Castile?
Quote:

5. Antitussive medications prevent "tussis," which is the onomatopoetic Latin word for what?
Coughing, although I think tussis sounds more like a fart.
Quote:

6. What was the last name of the real-life siblings who starred in, respectively, the hit 1980s series Cagney & Lacey and the hit 1990s series Wings?
I feel I should know this, even though I didn't watch either show. I'm going to give an answer I know is wrong: MacNicol.
Quote:

7. What unusual distinction is shared by these animals, listed in this order? Tortoises, cattle, butterflies, wasps, humans, oysters, dogs.
Something we have in common with oysters, but only when we are preceded by wasps and they are followed by dogs. Can't be how long we live (because parrots are not on the list). Can't be something we eat, because I'm pretty sure that what wasps eat isn't what oysters eat. I'll let someone else answer this one.

Seaboe
Old 05 December 2017, 11:33 PM

1. What real-life Pacific nation did Lemuel Gulliver visit in Gulliver's Travels, after Lilliput, Brobdingnag, and other fictional islands? Japan

3. What term for any inherently powerful or fixated-upon object did Hegel borrow from the carved religious charms of West Africa? Fetish

5. Antitussive medications prevent "tussis," which is the onomatopoetic Latin word for what? Cough
Old 07 December 2017, 11:34 PM

Baseball 0 for 7 this week.

1. Never read the book. Australia?

2. Only Nashville mega-stars I know are Faith Hill and Tim McGraw. All the other ones are dead.

3. Totem?

4. Catalonia and Hispania? I have no clue.

5. I know what onomatopoeia means. I just don't know how it ties to tussis. Sneezing?

6. Only name I know is Tyne Daly was in Cagney and Lacy. I can't even remember her partner. And I never watched Wings.

7. This was the order that Darwin drew them in his book The Origin of the Species.
Old 12 December 2017, 11:28 AM

Happy Chanukkah to those celebrating it. On to the trivia.

LAST WEEK'S ANSWERS

1. What real-life Pacific nation did Lemuel Gulliver visit in Gulliver's Travels, after Lilliput, Brobdingnag, and other fictional islands?
After hitting Balnibari, Luggnagg, and Glubbdubdrib, Gulliver also stopped in at the oddly plausible nation of "Japan."

2. The same two Nashville mega-stars have co-hosted the CMA Awards for ten years straight. Name either one.
Brad Paisley OR Carrie Underwood.

3. What term for any inherently powerful or fixated-upon object did Hegel borrow from the carved religious charms of West Africa?
Fetishes are named for actual magic fetishes. If your personal fetish is in fact a literal tribal fetish, that's unusual sexually but appropriate etymologically.

4. What two Spanish states were merged into a single dynasty by the 1469 marriage of Ferdinand and Isabella?
Ferdinand was from Aragon, Isabella from Castille. What a crazy Romeo and Juliet match that was.

5. Antitussive medications prevent "tussis," which is the onomatopoetic Latin word for what?
The Romans apparently thought coughing made a "tuss tuss" sound. Huh. Okay, whatever, Romans.

6. What was the last name of the real-life siblings who starred in, respectively, the hit 1980s series Cagney & Lacey and the hit 1990s series Wings?
Tyne Daly and Tim Daly are brother and sister.

7. What unusual distinction is shared by these animals, listed in this order? Tortoises, cattle, butterflies, wasps, humans, oysters, dogs.
These are the subjects of the (audible) questions given as part of the Voight-Kampff Test in the movie Blade Runner, which determine whether the subject is a human or a replicant. Why are they almost all about animals? Please see my fanfic for answers.

THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

1. The name of the tech company 23andMe refers to the set of 23 what?

2. Director Josef von Sternberg is best known for the seven films he made in the 1930s--including Morocco and The Scarlet Empress--for what European-born movie star?

3. In 1942, vice president Henry Wallace announced that the 20th century would belong to whom, inspiring Aaron Copland to write that honoree a "Fanfare"?

4. What's the southernmost capital city of mainland Europe?

5. What American dish, made of corn porridge boiled in milk, lent its name to the Harvard social club that ate it at its first meetings in 1795?

6. Last January, the French government unsealed the confession of what 1917 firing squad victim, which is now on display in her Dutch hometown of Leeuwarden?

7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these athletes? Brett Favre, Matt Hasselbeck, Magic Johnson, Michael Jordan, Dirk Nowitzki, Walter Payton, Pete Sampras, Elvis Stojko, Mark Texeira, Serena Williams.

Enjoy!
Old 12 December 2017, 11:33 AM

1. The name of the tech company 23andMe refers to the set of 23 what? Chromosomes

3. In 1942, vice president Henry Wallace announced that the 20th century would belong to whom, inspiring Aaron Copland to write that honoree a "Fanfare"? The Common Man I think

4. What's the southernmost capital city of mainland Europe? Ankara, Turkey? Is that considered part of Europe? Maybe Athens if not?

5. What American dish, made of corn porridge boiled in milk, lent its name to the Harvard social club that ate it at its first meetings in 1795? Whiffenpoof
Old 12 December 2017, 11:50 AM

Quite a lot of guesses.

1. Chromosomes (in a gamete, strictly speaking, I guess, otherwise there would be 46).

2. (Guess) Hedi Gabler

3. (Guess) Women?

4. I think that's Athens. (If he'd not said "mainland" then it would be Valletta). (eta, having read TGG's answers: No, Ankara is definitely in Asia, whether or not you consider Turkey to be a European country in that sense. I did wonder whether "mainland" was supposed to eliminate that as well, until I thought of my own alternative answer.)

5. Ooh, I know this because I had it in a diner in Brooklyn while I was waiting to meet up with Kim / Ana Ng for lunch. Grits. Before that, I knew the name but had no idea what it was, so I tried it to find out. (eta, having read TGG's answer - Well, I guess I didn't know it after all. But I'm sure the thing I said is basically also that.)

6. Hmm, the question suggests Mata Hari but I didn't know she was Dutch.

I have no chance on number 7 if it's about sport.
Old 12 December 2017, 11:55 AM

Whalephant

#5 is hasty pudding.

#7 maybe that they played and won a game right after their father died?
Old 12 December 2017, 12:19 PM

2. Director Josef von Sternberg is best known for the seven films he made in the 1930s--including Morocco and The Scarlet Empress--for what European-born movie star?

Marlene Dietrich

Athens

5. What American dish, made of corn porridge boiled in milk, lent its name to the Harvard social club that ate it at its first meetings in 1795?

Grits?

6. Last January, the French government unsealed the confession of what 1917 firing squad victim, which is now on display in her Dutch hometown of Leeuwarden?

Mata Hari
Old 12 December 2017, 01:46 PM

Don't take my answer to 5 as correct, despite my apparent confidence. Lol

I know there's an Ivy League singing group called that, but I really don't know which school it's associated with...

ETA: Re-reading the question, I have no idea where I got the idea that it was about a singing group... I need to wait until I've had my coffee before answering these...
Old 12 December 2017, 02:13 PM

Baseball 1, maybe 2 for 7 this week.

1. Pairs of Chromosomes

2. Rudolph Valentino?

3. the audience?

4. Mainland Europe? Good golly. Athens?

5. Grits?

6. I'm guessing Mata Hari.

7. All became top of their sport despite having an unorthodox style.
Old 12 December 2017, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallGeekyGirl View Post
Don't take my answer to 5 as correct, despite my apparent confidence. Lol

I know there's an Ivy League singing group called that, but I really don't know which school it's associated with...
I think kitap is right as I'm sure there's a club named after what she said. There must be several similar dishes, and to know the answer you also have to know which one has the club named after it!
Old 12 December 2017, 03:21 PM

There are lots of clubs associated with Harvard (and other Ivy League schools, I'm guessing), but Kitap is right about which one is named after a food. TGG is right about the name of the singing group -- which IIRC is at Yale -- but AFAIK it has no link to food.
Old 12 December 2017, 03:35 PM

Glasses

Quote:
THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

pairs of Chromosomes.
Quote:

Marlene Dietrich.
Quote:

3. In 1942, vice president Henry Wallace announced that the 20th century would belong to whom, inspiring Aaron Copland to write that honoree a "Fanfare"?
Shoot. I should know this, but all I can think of is America, and that's not the name of Copland's fanfare. Oh, well. It's an answer.
Quote:

Lisbon. I have no idea if that's true, but it's the first one that sprang to mind.
Quote:

Hasty pudding. Hmm. I never knew that was what a hasty pudding was.
Quote:

"her" is a dead giveaway that the answer is Mata Hari
Quote:

7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these athletes? Brett Favre, Matt Hasselbeck, Magic Johnson, Michael Jordan, Dirk Nowitzki, Walter Payton, Pete Sampras, Elvis Stojko, Mark Texeira, Serena Williams.
They're all younger than I am. Which isn't unusual, and probably isn't even true. It's almost true that I've actually heard of all of them, but only almost true (I don't know Dirk or Mark).

Seaboe
Old 12 December 2017, 05:31 PM

1. The name of the tech company 23andMe refers to the set of 23 what? Pairs of chromosomes

2. Director Josef von Sternberg is best known for the seven films he made in the 1930s--including Morocco and The Scarlet Empress--for what European-born movie star? Guessing Marlene Dietrich

3. In 1942, vice president Henry Wallace announced that the 20th century would belong to whom, inspiring Aaron Copland to write that honoree a "Fanfare"? "The Common Man" (cue the massive percussion hit!)

5. What American dish, made of corn porridge boiled in milk, lent its name to the Harvard social club that ate it at its first meetings in 1795? Hasty pudding!

6. Last January, the French government unsealed the confession of what 1917 firing squad victim, which is now on display in her Dutch hometown of Leeuwarden? Mata Hari?

7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these athletes? Brett Favre, Matt Hasselbeck, Magic Johnson, Michael Jordan, Dirk Nowitzki, Walter Payton, Pete Sampras, Elvis Stojko, Mark Texeira, Serena Williams. WAG -Won a championship after coming back from retirement?
Old 12 December 2017, 06:21 PM

I think I can get some of these!
Quote:
Gene pairs
Quote:

I did say some....
Quote:

The Common Man?
Quote:

WAG - Athens?
Quote:
Hasty Pudding
Quote:
WAG - Mata Hari?
Quote:
They're all members of MENSA?
Quote:
Enjoy!
I do, I do!
Old 12 December 2017, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicgeek View Post
Nope. Payton doesn't fit your idea on either end of your premise. Good guess, though.
Old 12 December 2017, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Winston O'Boogie View Post
Nope. Payton doesn't fit your idea on either end of your premise. Good guess, though.
Reason #137 why I'm not "sportsgeek."
Old 13 December 2017, 12:40 AM

1. Chromosomes.

2. Dietrich?

3. The Common Man.

4. Athens.

5. Hasty pudding.

6. Mata Hari.

7. Don't know.
Old 13 December 2017, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
(If he'd not said "mainland" then it would be Valletta.
Nicosia, I think?
Old 13 December 2017, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan The Man View Post
Nicosia, I think?
You may be right - I couldn't remember the relative positions of Malta and Cyprus without looking. Also wasn't entirely sure of Cyprus's status as an independent nation without looking it up...

Since these aren't the answer to the question, I looked on Google Earth and according to the positions of the capital markers, Valletta is 35° 54' N and Nicosia is 35° 10' N, so you're right, but there's not much in it.

(eta) And this is getting closer to "cheating", but I also noticed that TGG's alternative answer is further north than the real answer, so would have been wrong regardless of the fact that it's on the wrong continent. (Or even if you do consider Turkey to be a European country, since geographically, Cyprus is pretty close to Anatolia and arguably only part of the European continent by convention... I can see why "mainland" was in the question!)

Last edited by Richard W; 13 December 2017 at 04:20 PM.