snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Techno-Babble

Old 27 November 2017, 03:18 PM

Can't find it but there was some commercial with Evel in it. He was working in the garage with his adult/teenage? son. It seems like they were being all macho when they see a spider and Evel says something like: " A spider! Stay back go get your mother!" There may have been some screaming involved. It was funny at the time.
Old 27 November 2017, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutter Monkey View Post

Edit: there was a great warts-and-all documentary made about Evel Knievel in 2015 called 'Being Evel', I recommend it to anyone interested in his story. He was a nasty, nasty human being.
Or "Absolute Evel" when it aired here in the US on the History Channel.

~Psihala
Old 27 November 2017, 04:18 PM

Airplane

I didn't realize so many of y'all were interested in the Knievel story. It doesn't surprise me that he was a real S.O.B.

I'm inclined to believe the story as I told it, because the same thing happened to one of the unmanned test vehicles. The other one crashed without deploying the chute, which makes me think that chute was jammed - and he was lucky the chute was packed well on the day he did the jump.
Old 27 November 2017, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasFink View Post
I didn't realize so many of y'all were interested in the Knievel story.
Oh I went through a pretty big Evel Knievel phase not too long ago ...
Old 27 November 2017, 05:36 PM

I was a big fan of Knievel when I was a child in the 1970s. I was aware of the assault on Sheldon Saltman but didn't know much about it. In the late 1990s I saw a documentary that included an interview with Knievel and he was still angry and declared he would kill Saltman if given the chance again. Knievel claimed his anger was because Saltman, "said some things about my mother". The truth was that Knievel was upset about Saltman's description of his drug use. I recently read "Evel - The High-Flying Life of Evel Knievel: American Showman, Daredevil and Legend" by Leigh Montville. It lays out all of Knievel's scum-bag behavior - theft, scams, violent temper that would lead him to attack friends, openly cheating on his wife, assaulting his wife and children and on and on. He was quite a low-life.

Last edited by hotrod; 27 November 2017 at 05:46 PM.
Old 28 November 2017, 05:20 AM

Mad Mike has announced that the launch has been pushed back to Monday because the site is too windy right now plus some of his support crew is on vacation until Friday

Also he doesn't want any spectators there HMMMMM HMMMMMM I wonder why that might be
Old 28 November 2017, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Also he doesn't want any spectators there HMMMMM HMMMMMM I wonder why that might be
He doesn't want them to get hurt if anything goes wrong....
because they'd burst their sides laughing.

Old 28 November 2017, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod View Post
I recently read "Evel - The High-Flying Life of Evel Knievel: American Showman, Daredevil and Legend" by Leigh Montville. It lays out all of Knievel's scum-bag behavior - theft, scams, violent temper that would lead him to attack friends, openly cheating on his wife, assaulting his wife and children and on and on. He was quite a low-life.
I ordered a copy of that book just now, thanks for the recommendation!
Old 28 November 2017, 07:14 PM

Here's an interview with Mad Mike and several other people at the new launch site:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pjqj4Zma5yc

I'm sure it will come as no surprise to anyone here to discover that Mad Mike is a Sovereign Citizen nutjob who believes that everyone should stop paying taxes and attending court dates, that Michelle Obama is a man and Barack Obama's real name is Barry Sartoro and he's a foreign exchange student who was backed by Saudi Arabia, that the USA is a corporation that was formed in 1871 and the people were turned into surety by the Federal Reserve when the USA corporation went bankrupt in 1933, that the 13th amendment didn't free the slaves but made slaves of everyone, etc etc etc

WHAT A SHOCKING DEVELOPMENT
Old 28 November 2017, 07:42 PM

You (or he) forgot that a yellow fringe on the US flag in a courtroom means that the trial must be held under Admiralty law (that's my favorite).
Old 28 November 2017, 07:55 PM

Glasses

I hadn't heard about Barry before. That's a good one.

Seaboe
Old 29 November 2017, 12:45 PM

Yow!

Quote:

I'm sure it will come as no surprise to anyone here to discover that Mad Mike is a Sovereign Citizen nutjob who believes that everyone should stop paying taxes and attending court dates, that Michelle Obama is a man and Barack Obama's real name is Barry Sartoro and he's a foreign exchange student who was backed by Saudi Arabia, that the USA is a corporation that was formed in 1871 and the people were turned into surety by the Federal Reserve when the USA corporation went bankrupt in 1933, that the 13th amendment didn't free the slaves but made slaves of everyone, etc etc etc
What?! Wonder what he thinks of the current president? Do I even want to know?
Never heard of this guy, but he sounds like he was deprived of oxygen at some point in his life.
Old 04 December 2017, 11:55 AM

New developments!!! Mad Mike got everything all set up and was prepping for the launch on Saturday when the Bureau of Land Management guys turned up yet again and pointed out that he was still on their land and was 150 feet short of the private property where he was supposed to set up. So he packed up everything again and prepared to move it all across about 200 feet .... only to discover that the ground they had to cover to get there was very sandy and the crappy reconditioned RV he was using as a launch vehicle couldn't drive over it.

His current plan is to go back to the original site he wanted to use and hope that the Bureau of Land Management has a change of heart.

Oh and when they were driving off they didn't notice that the rocket had slipped off the back of the trailer and they actually dragged it along the ground for some distance and damaged it.

Also one of the youtube channels that he's associated with was trying to set up a livestream for the launch but the entire channel got closed down for violating Youtube's policies.

I love this entire debacle. Just when you thought they can't get any more incompetent they surprise they prove you wrong by screwing up in new and unexpected ways.
Old 04 December 2017, 01:09 PM

Once again, the Big Earth Rounders Conspiracy is worked hard to cover up the truth! Why do they work so hard to keep people on the ground, out of planes and off of mountains? So that we don't see what is obvious, that the world is flat, and all those people in "other continents" are just fakes, like when "people" in "Australia" talk about it being dark when it is light here.
(Yes, I am on to you GutterMonkey.)
Old 04 December 2017, 03:47 PM

You're right, dfresh. I went to Australia once and it was light during the daytime there, too, just like here. If this spherical-earth nonsense were true, it should have been dark during the daytime and light at night!
Old 04 December 2017, 05:40 PM

At this point, it looks like he's just stalling until people lose interest.
Old 05 December 2017, 02:05 PM

Icon101

Hasn't this guy ever been in a hot air balloon? The Eiffel Tower (or a replica such as the one at King's Dominion?) Has he ever ridden a huge Ferris Wheel like Orlando's Orlando Eye? Go on any one of those and you can see the earth is round.

ETA: I heard that he was going to do it again yesterday, but this time on private property so the big bad gubmint can't get to him.
Old 05 December 2017, 02:40 PM

I don't think the idea is that this one launch will be high enough to disprove the round earth, I think he's working up to higher and higher launches until he is high enough to disprove the theory. Would be similar to the low earth and suborbital launches that NASA used as experimental vehicles.

Or he's working up to bigger and bigger budgets until he gets enough money to fake his own death and disappear with the cash.
Old 05 December 2017, 03:53 PM

Glasses

You know, just because you see a curve at the edge of the earth doesn't mean the planet is a sphere. Because everyone knows it's round--it's just round and flat rather than round and curved.

(no, I don't really believe that).

Seaboe
Old 05 December 2017, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
I don't think the idea is that this one launch will be high enough to disprove the round earth, I think he's working up to higher and higher launches until he is high enough to disprove the theory. Would be similar to the low earth and suborbital launches that NASA used as experimental vehicles.
Yeah he said something in one of his videos about how this is a publicity stunt to raise awareness so he can later crowdfund the $1.8 million needed to build a rocket that can reach the Kármán line (or something like that, I can't be bothered going through his videos to double check the details).