snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Soapbox Derby

Old 09 October 2018, 08:19 AM

Default QAnon believers: Kavanaugh is the start of martial law

http://www.wehuntedthemammoth.com/20...ring-the-pain/

No, don’t ask me to make sense of QAnon. I think it’s full of shit and haven’t actually paid attention to what they think. However, we have seen joke claims do real damage.

From the article:

Quote:
Many Q Believers thought that Trump’s text alert test run last Wednesday — Trump sent out an innocuous text message to millions of Americans to test new Presidential Alert system designed to warn Americans of natural and other disasters — was part of the run-up to a real declaration of martial law. As The Daily Beast’s Will Sommer writes,

Quote:
Believers in QAnon … think the text could mark the start of “The Storm,” a fantastical MAGA dream in which Trump’s political enemies will be arrested and tried at military tribunals.

“That is how we will receive orders if all else fails,” wrote one QAnon believer on the 8Chan internet forum. “We are the next generation Minutemen! Standing by Sir!”

“SO HAPPY!” wrote another. “THANK YOU 45!”
More than a few Q Believers seem to be taking this “Minuteman” talk literally, with some hoping that they — like the Minutemen of old — will get an opportunity to murder leftist “traitors” in a sort of Trump-endorsed purge.
Old 09 October 2018, 05:09 PM

You know, I remember when right-wing conspiracy theorists complained that they thought the USA government was about to establish martial law and/or lock up its opponents in camps or murder them.

Now they seem to be in favor of it.

Good grief [substitute stronger language of your choice here].

(yes I know; this is actually not all that inconsistent. They've got government-run murder camps on the brain; they're both gleeful about the idea of putting other people in them, and terrified of winding up in them themselves.

It doesn't seem to have occured to them that building such things and putting other people in them increases, rather than decreases, the chances that they'll wind up there too.)
Old 09 October 2018, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
You know, I remember when right-wing conspiracy theorists complained that they thought the USA government was about to establish martial law and/or lock up its opponents in camps or murder them.
I would guess it's as simple as that they used to think they were the opponents, but now they think it's being done on their behalf...
Old 09 October 2018, 06:43 PM

I think the more likely explanation is that some of the members of QAnon like to pretend that they are the tough, uber-alpha males who would rule this purported new order.

Also, I'm guessing that the similarities between the names "The Storm" and "Der Stürmer" is no coincidence.
Old 10 October 2018, 03:34 AM

Mouse

Authoritarians generally don’t object to persecution or oppression, so long it is done by the right people for the right reasons. Their fanboying of Putin further demonstrates this. Soviet dictators ran roughshod over the rights and lives of their people, but that was wrong because they did it in the name of Communism. Putin, on the other hand, runs roughshod over the rights and lives of others, but he does it in the name of unfettered free market capitalism and cronyism, which makes his actions good and makes it so they can’t stop writing love letters to him.

And again, it’s affecting people who deserve it, not them. If their paranoid fantasies had come true, and Obama had implemented the Jade Helm Agenda 21 Conspiracy BS, again, their objections wouldn’t be to the grotesque abuse of human rights, but to its abuse of them.

Some More News lays out the whole conspiracy theory for those new to it.

The plain truth is that the Right has to engage in conspiracy theories, because well, they got elected by fearmongering and big talk about how they are the only ones who can save us from the hordes of LGBT Mexican Muslims working on behalf of ISIS or whatever scapegoat. When they do get elected, everything goes to shit because fearmongering may win elections, but it’s shit when it comes to governing.

So when things go even further south, the Right has to come up with theories as to why things have gotten worse, not better. They could admit that their ideas are terrible and therefore their policies are terrible, but that’s a pretty huge step to take. So it’s easier to craft theories that things haven’t gotten better, because the enemy is doing everything they can to sabotage Our Great and Noble God-Emperor’s efforts to fix all the things!

Though despite not being able to get her elected, somehow Hillary Clinton is the criminal mastermind behind it all, orchestrating all this from the shadows. I know I should stop relating to everything via pop culture or Simpsons quotes, but as far as I’m concerned, let’s just say no points for guessing which character represents Hillary in this clip.
Old 10 October 2018, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
They could admit that their ideas are terrible and therefore their policies are terrible, but that’s a pretty huge step to take.
No they couldn't. If they did that, they'd lose the elections to someone who was willing to continue maintaining the charade.
Old 20 October 2018, 09:53 AM

No

From the OP article:
Quote:
Trump has not himself publicly endorsed martial law, of course, but his most fervent supporters haven’t been quite so circumspect.

{ snip }

I would love to be able to dismiss all this as conspiracist nonsense. But with an impulsive, conspiracy-minded authoritarian in the White House — and energetically supported by a veritable army of wannabe Minutemen online — I can’t.
I agree 100%. And it's not just the QANON folks. Fathom Events (!) recently distributed the docudrama The Trump Prophecy, which was made by Liberty University. This movie features retired firefighter Mark Taylor, who thinks Donald Trump will soon impose martial law on the country and put his political opponents into concentration camps and thinks it's a great idea. (This link includes a video where Taylor is quoted saying this.)

Brian