snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Social Studies

Old 10 October 2018, 05:10 PM

Squirrel Woman removed from plane after boarding with 'emotional support' squirrel

Flying squirrels are a species, not a job description -- at least according to Frontier Airlines.

The Orlando Police Department was forced to remove a woman from a Frontier Airlines plane Tuesday night after she tried to bring a squirrel on board, claiming it was an emotional support animal, according to the airline. The woman was advised that squirrels are not allowed on board by Frontier's support animal policy.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/woman-remo...ry?id=58400567
Old 10 October 2018, 05:12 PM

No

I like squirrels and all, but no... just... no.

~Psihala
Old 10 October 2018, 06:25 PM

Yeah, I wouldn't want to be on a plane with a tree-rat that got loose and started running all over the place.
Old 10 October 2018, 06:46 PM

Well it was Frontier Airlines, a company well known for animals on their planes:

Old 10 October 2018, 08:03 PM

Glasses

How long did it take you to find a plane with a squirrel on the tail, WildaBeast?

Seaboe
Old 10 October 2018, 08:15 PM

Someone else posted that picture in a thread about this incident on another board. They did all the work finding it; I just stole it from there.
Old 10 October 2018, 08:49 PM

It is with good reason that squirrels are not allowed, they cause plane crashes:

Old 10 October 2018, 09:43 PM

Squirrel

Hokey smoke, Bullwinkle!
Old 10 October 2018, 09:45 PM

Mrs. Bobcat Warrior thinks squirrels are cute, and once destroyed a car tire, hitting a curb to avoid running over one. When we lived i Ohio, there was a large group od albino squirrels not too far from our house.

I see squirrels as fluffy-tailed rats that can do incredable aounts of damage to a house in very short time.

BW
Old 10 October 2018, 09:45 PM

Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad from Georgia View Post
Hokey smoke, Bullwinkle!
He's my emotional support moose.
Old 10 October 2018, 11:38 PM

Squirrels are rats with better press agents.

Wait, albino squirrels? Isn't that Trump's hairpiece?
Old 10 October 2018, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobcat Warrior View Post
Mrs. Bobcat Warrior thinks squirrels are cute, and once destroyed a car tire, hitting a curb to avoid running over one. When we lived i Ohio, there was a large group od albino squirrels not too far from our house.

I see squirrels as fluffy-tailed rats that can do incredable aounts of damage to a house in very short time.

BW
I think squirrels are cute.

I also think they can do lots of damage to a house in a short period of time; and in addition I know they can do lots of damage to a crop in a surprisingly short period of time. (They might even accomplish both at once, by attempting to move the corn that was in the field into the attic instead.)

But I still think they're cute. The two are not necessarily contradictory.

-- come to think of it, if cute beings, including humans, were never damaging, human history would be a lot different, wouldn't it?
Old 11 October 2018, 01:13 AM

Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
Squirrels are rats with better press agents.
But pet rats are wonderful. I wonder if it's just that rats have bad press agents

It's too bad she was ejected from the plane but at least she had somerodent with her to ease the stress.
Old 11 October 2018, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobcat Warrior View Post

BW
Your real name isn't George Costanza, is it?
Old 11 October 2018, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
I think squirrels are cute.

I also think they can do lots of damage to a house in a short period of time; and in addition I know they can do lots of damage to a crop in a surprisingly short period of time. (They might even accomplish both at once, by attempting to move the corn that was in the field into the attic instead.)
So where did you want your hired squirrel to put your corn?
Old 11 October 2018, 01:02 PM

I do understand why the airline refused to allow the squirrel, but I think it's possible the woman's case is not as nutty as it sounds.

A pet squirrel could be well-tamed and basically just like a pet rat or hamster. There is no reason why it should be more likely to run around the plane than one of those animals would be as it can be kept in some kind of cage or carrier. I doubt the story would be reported if her little buddy had been a gerbil. Of course, the airline doesn't allow any rodents but it's possible the woman thought (fairly reasonably, but wrongly) that a small critter would be allowed if it was also a support animal.

The claim that it's an emotional support animal shouldn't be mocked so I'm glad to see nobody's doing so here. People can bond with all sorts of creatures and sometimes this bond can be the difference between sitting calmly or being extremely distressed. If it had been allowed on board, I'm sure most passengers would have preferred the company of an unseen scuttling thing in a container than a person freaking out.
Old 11 October 2018, 02:59 PM

Agreeing that as long as it was in a proper carrier, and stayed in the carrier, I really don't see the problem. How is the impact any different for anyone on the plane if there's a squirrel in a carrier instead of a cat? -- my guess is that fewer people are allergic to squirrels.

I can see their refusing to allow non-human animals who won't fit or can't reasonably be kept inside a carrier -- that seems to me a more sensible line to draw.
Old 11 October 2018, 04:45 PM

Squirrel

Someone got cellphone footage of the incident. Looks like she caused quite a scene:

Please note, the above is not actual video of the event and I have no clue what really happened.
Old 11 October 2018, 05:16 PM

What's the current status when it comes to being able to vaccinate squirrels and other pet rodents for diseases that are communicable to humans?
Old 11 October 2018, 05:35 PM

The main one I'd be concerned about would be rabies. According to the CDC, squirrels and other small mammals* are pretty safe and there are no known cases of them giving rabies to humans in the US.

* Except woodchucks.