snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Diversions > Urban Legends Contest

Old 06 June 2017, 12:33 PM

1. In what country did the mojito and the daiquiri originate? Cuba?

6. In Netflix's new TV hit, how many cassette tapes does Hannah Baker leave behind to explain her suicide? [COLOR="white"]Thirtee
Old 06 June 2017, 02:11 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by DadOf3 View Post
THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

1. In what country did the mojito and the daiquiri originate?
Since I've only heard of them in the US, and I figure that's an unlikely answer so it might be true, I'm going to say the US.
Quote:

2. What retired major league pitcher uses a dead, upside-down bird as the logo for his new business as a photographer?
Randy Johnson. Heck, sports question--I don't know.
Quote:

3. What is the smallest constellation in the night sky, not discovered by European astronomers until the 16th century?
Given that constellations are artificial constructs, how do they know it's the smallest? I'm going to say the seven sisters anyway, since most of us can only see five with the naked eye.
Quote:

4. Who is currently third in line to inherit the British throne?
Let's see. Charles. Harry. Harry's son whose name I don't remember is third.
Quote:

5. In the 1968 trial of the Chicago Seven, the judge and the most celebrated defendant both shared what last name?
Of course, I've suddenly gone blank on the names of any of the seven, even though I know this is the man who went underground for years, came back out only to find that once he was normal again he was no longer famous. I believe he struggled with depression and ultimately committed suicide, and that his first name was Jerry.
Quote:

6. In Netflix's new TV hit, how many cassette tapes does Hannah Baker leave behind to explain her suicide?
Given that I have no idea what you're talking about, I'm going to say three. It's a magic number, and allows for different version of the explanation.
Quote:

7. What unusual distinction is shared by these countries, listed in this order? Chile, Cuba, Norway, The Gambia, Japan, Israel, Vietnam, Malawi, Myanmar, Togo.
Countries that have gained their independence since 1900.

Seaboe
Old 06 June 2017, 02:45 PM

Whalephant

Is #5 Hoffman?
Old 06 June 2017, 02:52 PM

1. Cuba.

2. Randy Johnson.

3. Don't know.

4. Prince George?

5. Hoffman.

6. Thirteen.

7. Nothing comes to mind.
Old 06 June 2017, 02:59 PM

Israel

Quote:

2. What retired major league pitcher uses a dead, upside-down bird as the logo for his new business as a photographer?

3. What is the smallest constellation in the night sky, not discovered by European astronomers until the 16th century?

5. In the 1968 trial of the Chicago Seven, the judge and the most celebrated defendant both shared what last name?

6. In Netflix's new TV hit, how many cassette tapes does Hannah Baker leave behind to explain her suicide?

7. What unusual distinction is shared by these countries, listed in this order? Chile, Cuba, Norway, The Gambia, Japan, Israel, Vietnam, Malawi, Myanmar, Togo.
1. Cuba
2. Randy Johnson, who once killed a bird with a pitch in a freak accident (it's on youtube)
3. I'll say Mensa because it's the only non-Zodiac constellation I can think of
4. Prince George?
5. Hoffman
6. Thirteen
7. The only thing that pops into my head is that they're all narrow-shaped countries but I don't think that's unique to this lot.
Old 06 June 2017, 03:45 PM

6. The answer is 7. Other posters are correct that there are 13 reasons, but she puts one on each side.
Old 07 June 2017, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyHere4KJT View Post
7. The only thing that pops into my head is that they're all narrow-shaped countries but I don't think that's unique to this lot.
The question says "unusual" not "unique". I think you may be correct.
Old 07 June 2017, 11:12 AM

Mexico

Prince George of Cambridge
Old 07 June 2017, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by damian View Post
The question says "unusual" not "unique". I think you may be correct.
It says "in this order". Myanmar is not particularly narrow. I think there are others that would qualify as more narrow.
Old 07 June 2017, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan The Man View Post
It says "in this order". Myanmar is not particularly narrow. I think there are others that would qualify as more narrow.
Maybe they have choke points where they get narrower? I'm resisting the temptation to look at a map....
Old 13 June 2017, 08:17 AM

Good Tuesday to you all. Let's go with ...

LAST WEEK'S ANSWERS

The same country as the Cuba Libre: Florida. No, wait. Cuba.

Randy Johnson, in honor of his famous March 2001 fastball that killed an errant dove.

Crux, the "Southern Cross," only subtends 68 square degrees in the night sky. The Ancient Greeks knew about Crux, thanks to their access to Egypt and North Africa, but it's not visible farther north, so medieval Europe didn't re-discover it until the Age of Exploration began.

Prince Charles is first, Prince William is second. Three-year-old Prince George is third, so let's hope it doesn't come to that.

Judge Julius Hoffman issued hundreds of contempt citations to Abbie Hoffman (no relation) and his co-defendants.

The thirteen tapes are the titular 13 Reasons Why.

These are the world's "narrowest" or "skinniest" countries, when their "length" (in whatever their longest axis is, not necessarily north-south) is compared with their average "width" (on the perpendicular axis). I only spent a couple hours on this, so I'm not sure how precise my work was, but I think this order is pretty close; I disregarded outlying islands, except in the case of Japan where I considered the four main islands and the water between them as a single landmass.

THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

1. Mileva Maric, a Serbian physicist, is best known for her marriage to what other scientist?

2. A July 23, 1985 press conference announced the return to shelves of what product, after an absence of nearly three months?

3. In 1771, what poet was buried outside St. Giles' parish church in Stoke Poges, England, the exact setting of his most famous work?

4. What society was divided into three distinct classes: jarls, karls, and thralls?

5. A trio called The Heads recorded their only album in 1996, after what frontman left the band and showed no interest in a reunion?

6. In what city would you find McGill University, perhaps its nation's most prestigious university?

7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these composers? Bartok, Beethoven, Borodin, Debussy, Faure, Ligeti, Messiaen, Mussorgsky, Offenbach, Schumann, Ravi Shankar, Arthur Sullivan.

Enjoy!
Old 13 June 2017, 09:47 AM

1. (Guessing) Tesla, since he was also Serbian.

2. Wispa! No, it must have been Classic Coke.

3. Thomas (?) Gray, of Gray's Elegy on a Country Churchyard fame?

4. Scandinavian / Norse / Icelandic / whatever you want to call it.

5. No idea.

6. No idea, although I probably should know it.

7. Hmmmm... famous unfinished symphonies or other works?
Old 13 June 2017, 10:44 AM

2. A July 23, 1985 press conference announced the return to shelves of what product, after an absence of nearly three months?

My guess: "Classic" Coca Cola

4. What society was divided into three distinct classes: jarls, karls, and thralls?

The Vikings' society?
Old 13 June 2017, 11:22 AM

1. Mileva Maric, a Serbian physicist, is best known for her marriage to what other scientist?

Albert Einstein

Vikings
Old 13 June 2017, 11:31 AM

D'oh! Apologies for my answer for number 1 - Tesla was Croatian, of course - from Zagreb. I'd probably still have guessed him anyway, though.
Old 13 June 2017, 12:26 PM

1. Albert Einstein.

2. Coke (Classic).

3. Don't know.

4. Vikings.

5. David Byrne.

6. Don't know.

7. All left notable works unfinished at the time of their deaths?
Old 13 June 2017, 12:44 PM

1. Mileva Maric, a Serbian physicist, is best known for her marriage to what other scientist? Albert Einstein

2. A July 23, 1985 press conference announced the return to shelves of what product, after an absence of nearly three months? "Classic" Coke

4. What society was divided into three distinct classes: jarls, karls, and thralls? Norse

5. A trio called The Heads recorded their only album in 1996, after what frontman left the band and showed no interest in a reunion? David Byrne
Old 13 June 2017, 01:45 PM

6. Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Also, I stand by my answer to last week's 6. She sends 7 tapes, each side has one story/reason/person featured. Spoiler alert on the show: Tape 7, side B is blank, but Clay fills it. I don't think that happens in the book.
It's like the smartest guy in the world does not know that cassette tapes have (had?) two sides.

Old 13 June 2017, 01:56 PM

Next week I'm sure he'll print a correction. This is the Internet... you can bet he's getting "Well, actually-ed" all over all forms of electronic communication.
Old 13 June 2017, 02:23 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by DadOf3 View Post
THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

Well, not Pierre Curie, because a) his wife was Marie and 2) she was Polish.
Quote:

Tylenol, after the poisonings.
Quote:

3. In 1771, what poet was buried outside St. Giles' parish church in Stoke Poges, England, the exact setting of his most famous work?
This must be Grey, of Elegy in a Country Churchyard fame.
Quote:

Someone's sure to say Viking before I do (although technically, it's probably Norse).
Quote:

5. A trio called The Heads recorded their only album in 1996, after what frontman left the band and showed no interest in a reunion?
I would recognize his name if I saw it, but otherwise, I don't know who was the head Talking Heads.
Quote:

6. In what city would you find McGill University, perhaps its nation's most prestigious university?
Toronto?
Quote:

7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these composers? Bartok, Beethoven, Borodin, Debussy, Faure, Ligeti, Messiaen, Mussorgsky, Offenbach, Schumann, Ravi Shankar, Arthur Sullivan.
Well, it's not that they had lots of children, and I don't think they were all deaf. I don't even think that it's they had children who were professional musicians (well, for one, I don't think Sullivan had any children), because if it were, Bach would be on the list. I depend on Musicgeek to know the answer.

Seaboe