snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Diversions > Urban Legends Contest

Old 29 August 2017, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DadOf3 View Post
LAST WEEK'S ANSWERS
Nebraska's most important (only? readers, hit me up!) contribution to world literature was the great Willa Cather.
Tillie Olsen.
Old 29 August 2017, 03:24 PM

Glasses

Quote:
THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

1. Who painted the 1960s California Pop Art classics The Splash, A Little Splash, and A Bigger Splash?
Max Factor (yes, I know, he was makeup not art).
Quote:

2. What kind of table would you use for lomilomi, reiki, or rolfing?
A massage table.
Quote:

3. What European capital's central castle and city hall were the sites of its two famous "defenestrations" in 1419 and 1618?
Prague.
Quote:

4. What's the most widely cultivated plant in genus Saccharum?
Sugar Cane?
Quote:

5. Rod Ansell, the hunter and backwoodsman who died in a police shootout south of Darwin in 1999, is best known for inspiring the title character of what 1986 movie?
Crocodile Dundee, I assume.
Quote:

6. What Ukrainian city that had 14,000 residents thirty-five years ago has a population of only 690 people today?
Chernoble?
Quote:

7. What unusual distinction is shared by these body parts, listed in this order? Skin, eye, thyroid, kidney, pancreas, liver, heart, lung, intestine, hand.
Well, the skin is the largest organ. I can't think of anything that would explain why hand is listed separately from skin, or why hand and eye are the only non-organs listed.

Oh, well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganzfeld View Post
3. I know this word has come up on this board but can't recollect the meaning.
It means "to throw out through a window"

Seaboe
Old 29 August 2017, 03:27 PM

Glasses

Oopsy, don't need this.

Seaboe
Old 29 August 2017, 06:08 PM

Airplane

Quote:
1. Who painted the 1960s California Pop Art classics The Splash, A Little Splash, and A Bigger Splash?

3. What European capital's central castle and city hall were the sites of its two famous "defenestrations" in 1419 and 1618?

5. Rod Ansell, the hunter and backwoodsman who died in a police shootout south of Darwin in 1999, is best known for inspiring the title character of what 1986 movie?

6. What Ukrainian city that had 14,000 residents thirty-five years ago has a population of only 690 people today?

7. What unusual distinction is shared by these body parts, listed in this order? Skin, eye, thyroid, kidney, pancreas, liver, heart, lung, intestine, hand.
1. Warhol?
2. Reiki is a form of massage, so I'd guess a massage table
3. No idea
4. Sugarcane?
5. Crocodile Dundee
6. That one near Chernobyl... Pirpyat or something like that
7. Listed from most to least delicious.
Old 06 September 2017, 01:29 AM

Hi, all. I'm travelling with my wife today so I apologize for the delay. At long last, here are this weeks questions:

LAST WEEK'S ANSWERS

These are from David Hockney's "Incredibly Blue L.A. Swimming Pool" period.

Those are types of massage--or at least "bodywork," which is a word that people with weird, ineffective opinions about medicine use instead of "massage."

Prague is the defenestration capital of Europe.

Genus Saccharum includes the sugarcanes. And probably some other stupid grasses that nobody cares about.

RIP to the real Crocodile Dundee. I hope that at least he figured out how big-city escalators and bidets work before his tragic death. Don't do drugs, my friends.

Chernobyl is having a hard time coming back from its bad media cycle in 1985.

Probably more guessable than usual! These are the major milestones in the histories of transplant surgery, listed in chronological order. ("Eye" is actually a donated cornea, not the whole organ, but the operation is often called an "eye transplant.")

THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

1. What mythical character was "Bound" in a play by Aeschylus and then "Unbound" in a play by Shelley?

2. Mark Rypien and Hines Ward are the only two non-American-born people ever to win what award?

3. What fictional clothing store at the corner of Ludlow and Rivington on New York's Lower East Side only ever existed on the cover of a 1989 record album?

4. With 200,000 more people than Washington, D.C., what's by far the largest U.S. city named for a president?

5. Between 1973 and 1987, federal law mandated what maximum speed on U.S. highways?

6. What Latin word for "bedpost" has come to refer to the axis of a very simple machine?

7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these TV stars? Gillian Anderson, Jessica Capshaw, Claire Danes, Tina Fey, Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Naturi Naughton, Amy Poehler, Phylicia Rashad, Keri Russell, Kerry Washington.

Enjoy!
Old 06 September 2017, 01:52 AM

1. What mythical character was "Bound" in a play by Aeschylus and then "Unbound" in a play by Shelley? Prometheus

4. With 200,000 more people than Washington, D.C., what's by far the largest U.S. city named for a president? Jefferson City, MO

5. Between 1973 and 1987, federal law mandated what maximum speed on U.S. highways? 55, and Sammy Hagar can't drive it
Old 06 September 2017, 03:31 AM

1. What mythical character was "Bound" in a play by Aeschylus and then "Unbound" in a play by Shelley? Prometheus

4. With 200,000 more people than Washington, D.C., what's by far the largest U.S. city named for a president? Jacksonville, Florida

5. Between 1973 and 1987, federal law mandated what maximum speed on U.S. highways? 55

6. What Latin word for "bedpost" has come to refer to the axis of a very simple machine? Fulcrum?
Old 06 September 2017, 03:53 AM

2. Mark Rypien and Hines Ward are the only two non-American-born people ever to win what award? Heismann Trophy?

3. What fictional clothing store at the corner of Ludlow and Rivington on New York's Lower East Side only ever existed on the cover of a 1989 record album? Ooh! I think it must be Paul's Boutique

4. With 200,000 more people than Washington, D.C., what's by far the largest U.S. city named for a president? Cleveland?

5. Between 1973 and 1987, federal law mandated what maximum speed on U.S. highways? 55 mph

6. What Latin word for "bedpost" has come to refer to the axis of a very simple machine? fulcrum?

7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these TV stars? Gillian Anderson, Jessica Capshaw, Claire Danes, Tina Fey, Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Naturi Naughton, Amy Poehler, Phylicia Rashad, Keri Russell, Kerry Washington. They all portrayed candidates for president or V.P.?
Old 06 September 2017, 03:53 AM

Cheer

Quote:
1. What mythical character was "Bound" in a play by Aeschylus and then "Unbound" in a play by Shelley?

2. Mark Rypien and Hines Ward are the only two non-American-born people ever to win what award?

3. What fictional clothing store at the corner of Ludlow and Rivington on New York's Lower East Side only ever existed on the cover of a 1989 record album?

4. With 200,000 more people than Washington, D.C., what's by far the largest U.S. city named for a president?

5. Between 1973 and 1987, federal law mandated what maximum speed on U.S. highways?

6. What Latin word for "bedpost" has come to refer to the axis of a very simple machine?

7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these TV stars? Gillian Anderson, Jessica Capshaw, Claire Danes, Tina Fey, Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Naturi Naughton, Amy Poehler, Phylicia Rashad, Keri Russell, Kerry Washington.
1. Prometheus
2. Super Bowl MVP? Both were NFL players who won a Super Bowl, and I'm 95% certain neither won a Heisman. Plenty of foreign-born players have been on a winning team as well.
3. Paul's Boutique, and gosh darn it, I bought that album before it was cool!
4. Jacksonville, FL?
5. I can't drive... 55!
6. crux?
7. All women, all TV stars. Gonna guess that they were preggo at some point during their respective serieses.
Old 06 September 2017, 04:02 AM

There's something I've been curious about. It wasn't posted this week with the questions, but the previous weeks have all had the Q7 delayed by a week (as I assume this one was), per Ken Jennings' request. Is that a general, "hey message boards, please don't spoil it!" or was it a specific request for this board?
Old 06 September 2017, 07:34 AM

Prometheus
Old 06 September 2017, 08:16 AM

Whalephant

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyHere4KJT View Post
There's something I've been curious about. It wasn't posted this week with the questions, but the previous weeks have all had the Q7 delayed by a week (as I assume this one was), per Ken Jennings' request. Is that a general, "hey message boards, please don't spoil it!" or was it a specific request for this board?
I believe it's us specifically.
Old 06 September 2017, 12:25 PM

Yes, he posted here to ask. (He's posted a few times in the past). At least, he asked us not to spoil question 7 by making it too easy for people to Google the answer if we got it collectively - he didn't specifically suggest delaying it. Somebody else thought of that as a solution.

I only knew 1 and 5 this week, and everybody's got those anyway! I'm going to guess "pulley" for number 6. (eta) Although having seen other people's answers, I am obviously wrong.
Old 06 September 2017, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyHere4KJT View Post
7. All women, all TV stars. Gonna guess that they were preggo at some point during their respective serieses.
That doesn't seem at all unusual to me. So were Lucille Ball, Debra Messing, Courteney Cox, Lisa Kudrow, Katey Sagal -- that's just off the top of my head.

I'm hoping it's something those women accomplished, like producing their own show.
Old 06 September 2017, 03:16 PM

Glasses

Quote:
THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

Prometheus. And Shelley's was a poem, not a play.
Quote:

Medal of Honor?
Quote:

I haven't a clue. I probably wouldn't even if you showed me the cover without any text. Staying Alive, because I can't not answer.
Quote:

Probably not Madison, Wisconsin or Lincoln, Nebraska. Especially not Jackson, Wyoming. Let's say Jefferson City.
Quote:

Really? Is any US person going to miss this one? I can't drive 55, despite the limit.
Quote:

Axle?
Quote:

Their most famous characters were red-heads. Ha! Okay, for a more likely to be correct answer, I'd have to have watched the shows they starred in, which I didn't.

Seaboe
Old 06 September 2017, 04:01 PM

1. Prometheus.

2. Heisman?

3. No idea.

4. Jacksonville, FL?

5. 55 MPH.

6. Fulcrum.

7. Nothing comes to mind.
Old 11 September 2017, 04:04 PM

Let's see if we can get in some last minute answers....
Quote:
Superbowl MVP
Quote:
They didn't say President of the United States - I'm going with Houston, TX
Quote:

Enjoy!
I think MusicGeek has this one.
Old 12 September 2017, 10:01 AM

Good Tuesday morning, all. Here we go with ...

LAST WEEK'S ANSWERS

Prometheus just can't make up his mind.

The Canadian-born Rypien and the Korean-born Ward are the only two Super Bowl MVPs not to have been born in the U.S.

The Beastie Boys' Paul's Boutique was never a real boutique. I stumbled on a mural commemorating the site when I was in New York over the summer and immediately recognized the street corner.

Jacksonville, Florida was named for Andrew Jackson...but my grandma is saying on Facebook that Obama is trying to rename the city after Harriet Tubman???

Thoughts and prayers to Sammy Hagar, whose neurological condition does not permit him to drive 55.

A "fulcrum" used to be a decor term, not part of a lever.

At some point, each had to conceal a pregnancy, in various digitally-assisted or shopping-bag-holding ways, on their TV series.

THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

1. What U.S. state is home to the world's largest hot air balloon festival?

2. According to a 2007 study, what can be calculated by counting the number of cricket chirps in a 13-second interval, then adding 40?

3. Who's the only Law & Order: SVU cast member to have been a regular for the show's entire run?

4. Congolese dictator Mobutu Sese Seko's trademark fashion accessory was a cap made from the skin of what animal?

5. According to the popular mnemonic, which chess piece is always placed on its own color?

6. In what country did Speedo release its first swimwear line, in 1927?

7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these historical figures? Julius Caesar, Miguel de Cervantes, Diogenes, Fra Filippo Lippi, Hugh Glass, James I of Scotland, Saint Patrick, Captain John Smith.

Enjoy!
Old 12 September 2017, 10:15 AM

Whalephant

#1 New Mexico?

#2 The temperature.

#3 S Epatha Merkerson?

#4 Leopard.
Old 12 September 2017, 12:19 PM

1. What U.S. state is home to the world's largest hot air balloon festival?

Arizona

2. According to a 2007 study, what can be calculated by counting the number of cricket chirps in a 13-second interval, then adding 40?

The number of crickets per square meter.

3. Who's the only Law & Order: SVU cast member to have been a regular for the show's entire run?

I don't know the name of any cast member.

4. Congolese dictator Mobutu Sese Seko's trademark fashion accessory was a cap made from the skin of what animal?

Leopard

5. According to the popular mnemonic, which chess piece is always placed on its own color?

The queen.

6. In what country did Speedo release its first swimwear line, in 1927?

Israel

7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these historical figures? Julius Caesar, Miguel de Cervantes, Diogenes, Fra Filippo Lippi, Hugh Glass, James I of Scotland, Saint Patrick, Captain John Smith.

They all had an adoptive son.

One of the above may actually be right.