snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Diversions > Urban Legends Contest

Old 22 August 2017, 11:20 AM

Happy Tuesday!

Here we go once again with:

LAST WEEK'S ANSWERS

1. What late celebrity has appeared on the cover of People magazine 58 times, more than anyone else in history by a wide margin?
Diana, Princess of Wales, whose last and least successful photo shoot took place twenty years ago next week.

2. Andrea Amati and his sons and grandsons are best known for their skill at making what?
Trouble! Because they were Italians. Also violins and cellos.

3. What happened on September 1, 1939, the date usually given as the beginning of World War II?
That was the date Hitler invaded Poland. Britain and France, who had signed treaties to defend Polish sovereignty, declared war on Germany two days later.

4. Which two words from the NATO phonetic radio alphabet are also the names of NBC-owned cable channels?
Two of the first seven radio letters, Bravo and Golf, were also TV channels that people used to watch sometimes...back before the invention of streaming services, anyway.

5. How many pairs of transparencies (and, therefore, different 3-D images) are there on a View-Master reel?
Fourteen total images, so seven single-eye pairs. I'm not sure who I expected to have this kind of deep old-timey toy knowledge.

6. Niels Bohr and Werner Heisenberg's groundbreaking interpretation of quantum mechanics is usually referred to by the name of what European city?
It's named for Bohr's hometown, and sounds like a Robert Ludlum novel: the Copenhagen interpretation.

7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these figures from Greek mythology? Arcas, Athena, Atlas, Europa, Heracles, Icarus, Io, Peleus, Pelops, Phoenix.
In addition to the other stories told about them, each was, according to myth, the namesake of a geographic location well-known to the Greeks. These (mostly folk) etymologies were used to explain the names of Arcadia, Athens, the Atlantic Ocean, Europe, the Pillars of Heracles, the Icarian Sea, the Ionian Sea, Mount Pelion, the Peloponnese, and Phoenicia.

THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

1. What are the only two letters of the alphabet that each span two volumes of the World Book Encyclopedia?

2. What classic recipe from Italian cooking may derive its name from the Neapolitan ships that brought tomatoes from the New World?

3. From 1893 to 1895, what future literary great was the first woman editor of The Hesperian, the student newspaper of the University of Nebraska?

4. The two longest running musicals in the history of the West End are both principally set in what city?

5. What organization holds its world championship every August in Williamsport, Pennsylvania?

6. What would an ancient Sumerian do with cuneiform?

7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these landmarks? The British Museum, Copacabana Beach, the Golden Gate Bridge, Marrakesh bazaar, Mount Rushmore, Royal Albert Hall, the Statue of Liberty, Tower Bridge, United Nations headquarters, Westminster Cathedral.

As always, question 7 is delayed one week per Mr. Jennings' request.

Enjoy!
Old 22 August 2017, 11:31 AM

6. What would an ancient Sumerian do with cuneiform? Write.
Old 22 August 2017, 12:11 PM

1. What are the only two letters of the alphabet that each span two volumes of the World Book Encyclopedia?

One should be 's'.
The other I have no idea. 'a'?

2. What classic recipe from Italian cooking may derive its name from the Neapolitan ships that brought tomatoes from the New World?

Pizza Margerita?

4. The two longest running musicals in the history of the West End are both principally set in what city?

London.

Write on clay tablets.
Old 22 August 2017, 01:37 PM

1. I'm certain one is S. I think the other one is C.

2. Marinara sauce.

3. No idea.

4. Paris.

5. Little League Baseball.

6. Write.

7. All have featured in an Alfred Hitchcock film.
Old 22 August 2017, 03:37 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by DadOf3 View Post
THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

S & T. I'm sure about the former, not so sure about the latter.
Quote:

Hmmm. Spaghetti Marinara?
Quote:

3. From 1893 to 1895, what future literary great was the first woman editor of The Hesperian, the student newspaper of the University of Nebraska?
These are tough, IMO. Shirley Jackson, because her name came to mind.
Quote:

Paris.
Quote:

5. What organization holds its world championship every August in Williamsport, Pennsylvania?
Sports, so you can pretty much bet my answer will be wrong. Rowing.
Quote:

Read or write. At least this one I know.
Quote:

7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these landmarks? The British Museum, Copacabana Beach, the Golden Gate Bridge, Marrakesh bazaar, Mount Rushmore, Royal Albert Hall, the Statue of Liberty, Tower Bridge, United Nations headquarters, Westminster Cathedral.
They are often mistaken for other landmarks (e.g., Tower Bridge is often assumed to be London Bridge). Not whited out because I'm not right.

Seaboe
Old 22 August 2017, 04:01 PM

After having read Chillas' and Seaboe's answer to question 4 I agree with them.
Old 22 August 2017, 04:28 PM

France

Quote:

1. X and Q, obviously
2. No idea
3. Nebraska suggests Willa Cather
4. Paris?
5. Williamsport is right down the road from here. Little League World Series.
6. Write
7. The letter 'e'
Old 22 August 2017, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DadOf3 View Post
I know you can get some of these as Lego kits.
Old 22 August 2017, 06:32 PM

Speaking only for myself I have never been close to 'Copacabana Beach, Marrakesh bazaar or Mount Rushmore', but the rest I have seen, entered, walked past or travelled.
Old 22 August 2017, 07:42 PM

Glasses

I think OnlyHere is correct concerning #3.

Seaboe
Old 22 August 2017, 08:13 PM

1. What are the only two letters of the alphabet that each span two volumes of the World Book Encyclopedia? R and S?

2. What classic recipe from Italian cooking may derive its name from the Neapolitan ships that brought tomatoes from the New World? Guessing marinara

3. From 1893 to 1895, what future literary great was the first woman editor of The Hesperian, the student newspaper of the University of Nebraska? Too late (and geographically wrong) for Alcott - no idea.

4. The two longest running musicals in the history of the West End are both principally set in what city? Paris?

5. What organization holds its world championship every August in Williamsport, Pennsylvania? Little League Baseball?

6. What would an ancient Sumerian do with cuneiform? Write with it (well, press it into clay tablets for the purpose of communication, anyway)

7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these landmarks? The British Museum, Copacabana Beach, the Golden Gate Bridge, Marrakesh bazaar, Mount Rushmore, Royal Albert Hall, the Statue of Liberty, Tower Bridge, United Nations headquarters, Westminster Cathedral. No idea.
Old 25 August 2017, 06:14 PM

Ooh, I finally got here for one of these before everything I have a shot at was answered.
If chillas is not right about number 7, I think it may be they all have songs written about them. Copacabana made me think it, I know that Golden Gate Bridge and Marrakesh bazaar have songs about them, and I think there is a kid's song about Mount Rushmore. I don't know about the rest, but those are enough for me to guess.
Sorry if I don't have the white out color right - I'm color blind so I can't really tell which matches. If anyone can tell me the correct color, I'll use it in the future.
Old 25 August 2017, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Credence View Post
Sorry if I don't have the white out color right - I'm color blind so I can't really tell which matches. If anyone can tell me the correct color, I'll use it in the future.
I just found out the other week that the right, or correct or whatever colour code is "alice blue".
Old 26 August 2017, 01:50 PM

ETA: oops, nevermind
Old 29 August 2017, 11:11 AM

LAST WEEK'S ANSWERS

Maybe I should have started this off by explaining to Millennials what "World Book Encyclopedia" is/was. The venerable reference work is still published, and there are two volumes apiece for C and S.

Marinara sauce is certainly named for mariners--possibly the ones who first introduced Italians to red gravy.

Nebraska's most important (only? readers, hit me up!) contribution to world literature was the great Willa Cather.

The two musicals are Les Miserables and The Phantom of the Opera, both of which are (mostly) set in Paris.

That's where Little Leaguers, probably from Taiwan or someplace, have their annual World Series.

Read or write it. Cuneiform was that wedge-shaped script that the Sumerians just couldn't get enough of.

Good eeeevening. Each iconic spot provides the glamorous background for a setpiece in an Alfred Hitchcock movie.

THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

1. Who painted the 1960s California Pop Art classics The Splash, A Little Splash, and A Bigger Splash?

2. What kind of table would you use for lomilomi, reiki, or rolfing?

3. What European capital's central castle and city hall were the sites of its two famous "defenestrations" in 1419 and 1618?

4. What's the most widely cultivated plant in genus Saccharum?

5. Rod Ansell, the hunter and backwoodsman who died in a police shootout south of Darwin in 1999, is best known for inspiring the title character of what 1986 movie?

6. What Ukrainian city that had 14,000 residents thirty-five years ago has a population of only 690 people today?

7. What unusual distinction is shared by these body parts, listed in this order? Skin, eye, thyroid, kidney, pancreas, liver, heart, lung, intestine, hand.

Enjoy!
Old 29 August 2017, 11:28 AM

3. What European capital's central castle and city hall were the sites of its two famous "defenestrations" in 1419 and 1618?

Prague.

6. What Ukrainian city that had 14,000 residents thirty-five years ago has a population of only 690 people today?

Pripyat.
Old 29 August 2017, 11:30 AM

1. Who painted the 1960s California Pop Art classics The Splash, A Little Splash, and A Bigger Splash? Guess... Andy Warhol?

2. What kind of table would you use for lomilomi, reiki, or rolfing? Massage table

3. What European capital's central castle and city hall were the sites of its two famous "defenestrations" in 1419 and 1618? Rome?

4. What's the most widely cultivated plant in genus Saccharum? Sugar cane

6. What Ukrainian city that had 14,000 residents thirty-five years ago has a population of only 690 people today? Pripyat
Old 29 August 2017, 12:35 PM

1. David Hockney (those are some of his swimming pool paintings, I think).
2. (Guess) A massage table?
3. Prague.
4. Sugar cane?
5. Crocodile Dundee?
6. Presumably Chernobyl / the town nearest to Chernobyl (since I think it's called something else).

7. Hmm... it's not size, obviously. And it doesn't seem the right order to be number of nerve endings, unless there's something about the liver that I'm missing... no idea at the moment.
Old 29 August 2017, 12:48 PM

1. Don't know. All I can think of is Warhol, but I'm pretty sure it's not him.

2. Massage.

3. Prague.

4. Sugarcane.

5. Mad Max?

6. Chernobyl.

7. Don't know.
Old 29 August 2017, 01:57 PM

1. Gee, I'm going to kick myself for not knowing this one. Roy Lichtenstein?
2. Massage table
3. I know this word has come up on this board but can't recollect the meaning. Total guess: Paris.
4. Sounds like sugar so I'll go with sugar cane
5. Crocodile Dundee
6. Don't know. Chernobyl? That had to go from way more to way less.
7. This has something to do with transplants. Locations of most transplants or grafts... not including teeth?? Or historical order of successful ones.