snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Diversions > Urban Legends Contest

Closed Thread

Old 17 November 2015, 02:15 PM

Default Ken Jennings Trivia Challenge

Hi all,

It looks like the old thread got full, so I'll start a new one. For those new to this, we post the weekly questions from Mr. Jennings but as per his request we delay the question 7 for one week.

This week Ken Jennings writes:
"People are curious," Alice Munro wrote in a 1990 short story. "A few people are. They will be driven to find things out, even trivial things." You, my friends, are certainly among those people. Good luck finding out the seven trivial things on this week's Tuesday quiz.

Now, on to:

LAST WEEK'S ANSWERS
1. What TV series's February 1999 episode "College" was named by TV Guide as the best hourlong TV episode of all time?
It's the one where Tony takes Meadow around to tour colleges. I think he kills a guy or something too. This is The Sopranos.

2. In the most famous episode of Rimsky-Korsakov's opera The Tale of Tsar Saltan, Prince Gvidon attacks his grandmother's nose after being magically turned into what kind of animal?
It's possibly the most famous piece of music Rimsky-Korsakov ever wrote: "The Flight of the Bumblebee."

3. What cowboy term for cattle originally referred specifically to a stray or motherless calf?
That's what a "dogey" technically is, of "Get along, little" fame.

4. Michelle Timms and Lauren Jackson are two of Australia's greatest athletes of all time in what sport?
Both had success at all levels of women's basketball, up to and including the WNBA.

5. What university, founded in 1865 by the first president of Western Union, is the only Ivy League school not to date from the colonial period?
Ezra Cornell's namesake university was the last to join the Ivy League.

6. In 1955, American scientist Glenn Seaborg was criticized for naming what new chemical element, number 101 on the periodic table, after a Russian?
Since it was the first element of the second 100 on the periodic table, the American discoverers of mendelevium decided to name it for the father of the periodic table, Dmitri Mendeleev.

7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these hit songs? "Be-Bop-a-Lula," "Gloria," "Ice Ice Baby," "How Soon Is Now?", "Incense and Peppermints," "I Will Survive," "Maggie May," "(What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love, and Understanding," "Push It," "Rock Around the Clock," "Signs," "Unchained Melody."
All these hits, amazingly enough, started out as the B-side of another single.

THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

1. What iconic animal product was first manufactured by the German company Haribo in 1922?

2. Charles Lyell wrote the 1830 text called "Principles of" what science, a book that was a major influence on scientists like Charles Darwin?

3. Under what name--with the spelling modified to avoid confusion with another Ontario artist--does Abel Tesfaye, a Canadian of Ethiopian descent, record his #1 R&B hits?

4. What world city surrounds the historically famous waters of Botany Bay?

5. What woman's death separates the "in vita" and "in morte" sequences of Petrarch's poetry collection Il Canzoniere?

6. What is a "puka" necklace made out of?

7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these inventions? Ether anesthesia, Facebook, intermittent windshield wipers, the rabies vaccine, radar, the self-cleaning mop, the telephone, the vibrator.

Enjoy!
Old 17 November 2015, 02:34 PM

Guess on #7 based on what little I know about FB and the telephone... The invention was 'stolen' from someone else.
Old 17 November 2015, 02:41 PM

#1 is Gummi bear
#2 is Natural Science, I think
#6 is shells
Old 17 November 2015, 02:44 PM

2) I want to say (micro)biology?.
4) I'm pretty sure our Outer Zone snopesters will know this one better, but I'm going to guess Sydney?
6) Sea shells.

Last edited by GenYus234; 17 November 2015 at 02:45 PM. Reason: correct numbering
Old 17 November 2015, 02:45 PM

1.crackers
2.Geology
4.Sydney
5.Laura
Old 17 November 2015, 03:07 PM

Rabbit

6 has to be invisible rabbits
Old 17 November 2015, 03:14 PM

1. What iconic animal product was first manufactured by the German company Haribo in 1922?

Gummy Bears.

2. Charles Lyell wrote the 1830 text called "Principles of" what science, a book that was a major influence on scientists like Charles Darwin?

Geology.

3. Under what name--with the spelling modified to avoid confusion with another Ontario artist--does Abel Tesfaye, a Canadian of Ethiopian descent, record his #1 R&B hits?

No idea.

Sydney.

5. What woman's death separates the "in vita" and "in morte" sequences of Petrarch's poetry collection Il Canzoniere?

I feel like I know this, totally blanking.

Cone snail shells.

7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these inventions? Ether anesthesia, Facebook, intermittent windshield wipers, the rabies vaccine, radar, the self-cleaning mop, the telephone, the vibrator.

Each was originally invented for a different purpose.
Old 17 November 2015, 03:30 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by DadOf3 View Post
THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

Gummi (goo-me) bears. The good, edible ones.
Quote:

Geology, I think.
Quote:

Sayleen, although I doubt that's the right spelling. I assume he's trying to avoid confusion with Celine Dion.
Quote:

Sydney, Australia.
Quote:

Beatrice, I assume. No, wait, that's Dante. Well, I can't think of anyone else (except possibly Heloise, and that's the wrong part of Europe), so I'll stick with my first answer.
Quote:

Shells. Raise your hand if you had one of these in the 70s, when they were the epitome of cool.
Quote:

They were all invented by someone trying to do something else. And I'm going to stop here, before I think of all the reasons that answer isn't right.

Seaboe
Old 17 November 2015, 06:24 PM

Quote:
THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

gummy bears
classification
Celine Dyon
Sidney
Let's try: Mary
seashells (particularly puka shells)

Enjoy!
They were all intended for a different population than wound up using them - Chillas and Seaboe, I would agree with the way you have worded the response, except that as I recall, vibrators were invented for the purpose intended - female orgasms - but they were intended to be used by doctors, who relieved women's "hysteria" by masturbating them, and some of the doctors applying this therapy were getting an early version of carpal tunnel syndrome from the popularity of the treatments.

Last edited by A Turtle Named Mack; 17 November 2015 at 06:30 PM.
Old 18 November 2015, 08:30 AM

No. 1 is the gummy bear.
Old 24 November 2015, 12:34 PM

Hello all. To all my American Snopester friends, a happy Thanksgiving later this week. Here we go with ...

LAST WEEK'S ANSWERS

In 1922, the first Gummibär (gummybear) rolled out of Hans Riegel's Bonn candy kitchen. Unlike today, those first gummybears were made from 100% horse hooves, cough syrup, and mercury.

By demonstrating that the earth was much, much more than 6,000 years old, Lyell's Principles of Geology changed the life of a young Charles Darwin.

He's The Weeknd, because "The Weekend" was already takn.

Botany Bay. Botany Bay? Oh, no! * The locale of the historic Australian penal colony is now just an outlying neighborhood of Sydney.

Like George W. Bush, Petrarch was hopelessly in love with a mysterious unattainable beauty named "Laura."

Seashells. Puka shells, in fact. Maybe that part went without saying.

There's a movie telling the story of the invention of each one. Well, the self-cleaning mop one doesn't come out until next month.

THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

1. According to the message that appears at the end of the first seven worlds in the original Super Mario Bros. video game, where is "our princess"?

2. The Kikuyu, Luhya, and Luo peoples are the largest ethnic groups in what country?

3. An elongated version of what letter of the alphabet is used as the integral symbol in mathematics?

4. What cult silent movie star did Kenneth Tynan celebrate in his 1979 New Yorker profile "The Girl in the Black Helmet"?

5. The "Bonus Army," made up of some 43,000 people, carried out their famous 1932 campaign at what city?

6. What legendary sports figure ended his 23-year career last weekend, retiring after a sixth-place finish in Homestead, Florida?

7. What unusual distinction is shared by these U.S. presidents and no others? Madison, Jackson, Pierce, Grant, Cleveland, McKinley, Taft, and Nixon.

* Yay, a Star Trek reference! (Wrath of Khan, to be exact) DadOf3
Old 24 November 2015, 01:12 PM

Quote:
In 1922, the first Gummibär (gummybear) rolled out of Hans Riegel's Bonn candy kitchen. Unlike today, those first gummybears were made from 100% horse hooves, cough syrup, and mercury.
So good that they no longer use cough syrup.

1. "just ahead?
2. Hmm, definitely Bantu names, I think, but that's most of subSaharan Africa, so I'll say Angola, or whatever its current name is
3. s
4. Ach, I can picture her - page boy haircut, but swept forward at the end - Myrna Loy comes to mind, but I think I have the wrong name
5. D.C.
6. I dunno - Affirmed?
7. no idea yet.
Old 24 November 2015, 01:26 PM

Whalephant

#2 is Kenya.
#4-is ir Theda Bara?
Old 24 November 2015, 02:14 PM

1) But our princess is in another castle. When you find her, there will be a party with cake.

ETA: For 7, did they have different Vice Presidents?

Last edited by GenYus234; 24 November 2015 at 02:19 PM.
Old 24 November 2015, 02:38 PM

GenYus234 so did Lincoln
Old 24 November 2015, 03:44 PM

Glasses

Quote:
THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

1. According to the message that appears at the end of the first seven worlds in the original Super Mario Bros. video game, where is "our princess"?
in the next world, I assume. While I was once fairly good at Pong, and played Frogger a few times, the rest of the video games I play aren't really video games (they're electronic versions of board or word games). Which makes me unlikely to know much about video games.
Quote:

2. The Kikuyu, Luhya, and Luo peoples are the largest ethnic groups in what country?
Cambodia.This is going to be a bad week for me, I can tell already.
Quote:

3. An elongated version of what letter of the alphabet is used as the integral symbol in mathematics?
F, no wait, S (no crossbar). Unless you're into typography and remember that in the old old days, Fs in the centers of words didn't have crossbars, in which case, F is right. Maybe.
Quote:

4. What cult silent movie star did Kenneth Tynan celebrate in his 1979 New Yorker profile "The Girl in the Black Helmet"?
Theda Bara? Her hair did look somewhat helmet like. Did you know her stage name was an anagram of Arab Death?
Quote:

5. The "Bonus Army," made up of some 43,000 people, carried out their famous 1932 campaign at what city?
Washington DC, I think. Weren't they protesting that they never got their WWI bonuses?
Quote:

6. What legendary sports figure ended his 23-year career last weekend, retiring after a sixth-place finish in Homestead, Florida?
So legendary I have no clue who it is, but he started in 1992. Tiger Woods?
Quote:

7. What unusual distinction is shared by these U.S. presidents and no others? Madison, Jackson, Pierce, Grant, Cleveland, McKinley, Taft, and Nixon.
They ran twice, non-consecutively and lost. Oops, that leaves out Teddy. They all won both the popular and the electoral vote? I'm not sure that's true of Cleveland. I think I'll leave this one for the rest of you. Don't want to accidentally get it right and spoil my record this week.

Seaboe
Old 24 November 2015, 04:07 PM

Seaboe, I think your recollection about the Bonus Army is correct.

Cleveland served two non-consecutive terms, but he was the only president to do so.
Old 24 November 2015, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
Unless you're into typography and remember that in the old old days, Fs in the centers of words didn't have crossbars, in which case, F is right.
Those were s's (esses?) not f's.
Old 24 November 2015, 05:29 PM

#6 is Jeff Gordon.
Old 24 November 2015, 07:00 PM

In another castle.
No idea.
The long 's', which is often mistaken for an 'f' today.
Louise Brooks.
No idea.
No idea.
I want to say that they all had a daughter married at the White House, but there are others who did as well so that's probably not correct.
Closed Thread