snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Police Blotter

Old 01 July 2014, 08:03 PM

Icon23 Man killed after attacker rips out his still-beating HEART and BITES it

A man has been killed after his still beating heart was pulled out of his chest and bit into by his attacker after a furious row over a bowl of noodles.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-n...r-rips-3777324
Old 01 July 2014, 08:10 PM

Noodles? Not Sankara stones?

[Yes that story is very sad but I couldn't help the comparison]

OY
Old 01 July 2014, 09:23 PM

Yikes.

I'm kind of surprised that it was possible. It all sounds like it happened quite fast, and wouldn't the ribcage be a substantial barrier to accessing the heart? I suppose he must have reached around the ribcage in some manner, but that doesn't seem like the kind of maneuver that would pop into someone's head while in a fit of rage, without prior planning. Of course, given the attacker's extreme behavior and the fact that he was carrying a knife around with him, maybe he had figured out the logistics beforehand, whether or not he intended to use them on this particular victim.

I also wonder if news sources have specific wording manuals for headlines and articles that results in things like "Man killed after attacker rips out his...heart"? If the victim wasn't already dead (due to having his throat cut), then I'm pretty sure removing the heart would finish the job. I would think it was more accurate to say "Man killed when attacker rips out..." or "Man killed by attacker ripping out..."
Old 02 July 2014, 03:14 AM

Or the really accurate version "Man killed by attacker who..."

Since that simply would state the facts (a man was killed, and the attacker ripped out his heart) without assigning a possibly inaccurate but sensational cause of death.