snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Sports

Old 16 January 2013, 10:26 PM

Vanishing Manti Teos Dead Girlfriend Is A Hoax

Quote:
Notre Dame's Manti Te'o, the stories said, played this season under a terrible burden. A Mormon linebacker who led his Catholic school's football program back to glory, Te'o was whipsawed between personal tragedies along the way. In the span of six hours in September, as Sports Illustrated told it, Te'o learned first of the death of his grandmother, Annette Santiago, and then of the death of his girlfriend, Lennay Kekua.

Did you enjoy the uplifiting story, the tale of a man who responded to adversity by becoming one of the top players of the game? If so, stop reading.
http://deadspin.com/5976517/manti-te...ason-is-a-hoax
Old 17 January 2013, 02:13 AM

Te'o is saying he was the victim of the hoax, rather than the perpetrator.

Quote:
"This is incredibly embarrassing to talk about, but over an extended period of time, I developed an emotional relationship with a woman I met online. We maintained what I thought to be an authentic relationship by communicating frequently online and on the phone, and I grew to care deeply about her. To realize that I was the victim of what was apparently someone's sick joke and constant lies was, and is, painful and humiliating. It further pains me that the grief I felt and the sympathies expressed to me at the time of my grandmother's death in September were in any way deepened by what I believed to be another significant loss in my life.
http://espn.go.com/college-football/...pparently-hoax
Old 17 January 2013, 03:08 PM

That story might work if not for this statement ;

Quote:
according to the South Bend Tribune: "Their stares got pleasantly tangled, then Manti Te'o extended his hand to the stranger with a warm smile and soulful eyes." Kekua, a Stanford student, swaps phone numbers with Te'o.
Unless the paper made up that story, they must have got it from Te'o or one of his friends. What was that saying again about not needing a good memory if you just tell the truth from the start?
Old 17 January 2013, 03:19 PM

Icon105 Arizona Cardinals fullback on Manti Teo's fake girlfriend: No, shes real.

Lennay Kekua, Manti Teos fake girlfriend, might not be so fake after all.

Arizona Cardinals fullback Reagan Mauia told ESPN that he not only knew Kekua, but that he was close with her family.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-...06--ncaaf.html
Old 17 January 2013, 03:56 PM

So Te'o says she was a fake and he's devastated that he was fooled by a person he claims to have met but was actually imaginary, but another football player say's he knew her and her family. I'm confused......
Old 17 January 2013, 06:44 PM

This is all bizarre. I had not followed any of it before (for example, back in September when the girlfriend may or may not have died) but I have two observations:

1. It is not clear to me why it matters as news, even sports news, except from the standpoint of would an NFL team be concerned about drafting a player who ws involved in this. Maybe that is the answer. How high is this guy predicted to go?

2. Maybe it is how the article says that the PR guy "confirmed the entire relationship was online." Unless that was sloppy writing and it should have been "confirmed that Te'o told him that the entire relationship was online." My point is that people who are not principles should not confirm, guarantee, or otherwise state what happened. They can report what they were told. This happens a lot.
Old 17 January 2013, 06:48 PM

It's a meme now:

http://teoing.tumblr.com/

https://twitter.com/search?q=%23teoing
Old 17 January 2013, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Dave View Post
1. It is not clear to me why it matters as news, even sports news, except from the standpoint of would an NFL team be concerned about drafting a player who ws involved in this. Maybe that is the answer. How high is this guy predicted to go?
The morning radio show said some predicted him as high as the 8th pick.

I don't understand why this is news, because it's not like teams don't regularly overlook character issues (some more severe than this IMHO) so long as the player is talented. But then again, I never understood why it was so important that fans know about the 'girlfriend' to begin with.

The more I hear of this story the more confused I get.
Old 17 January 2013, 07:04 PM

Quote:
1. How high is this guy predicted to go?
Before this whole "girlfriend" thing, he was talked about as first round draft pick, probably one of the top 10. Now, various experts (i.e., people who can talk or type) are saying he should be skipped entirely. Some team will most likely still take him (look how a untouchable player like Vick worked out for the Eagles), but probably not in the first round.
Old 17 January 2013, 07:08 PM

You can throw your real girlfriend down a flight of stairs* and get drafted- maybe a few rounds later than expected, but still. I don't see him getting skipped altogether for something involving a fake girlfriend.

*ETA: I had to go back and look. The player I was thinking of was drafted 6th overall. Maybe he fell from 1st. Others have been skipped, but my point stands- guys have assaulted real people and been drafted.

Last edited by Dr. Dave; 17 January 2013 at 07:13 PM.
Old 17 January 2013, 07:30 PM

Quote:
1. It is not clear to me why it matters as news, even sports news, except from the standpoint of would an NFL team be concerned about drafting a player who ws involved in this.
He's a great and popular player, and the story of his grandmother and his "girlfriend" dying six hours apart was pretty big news in the sports world. To find out that she didn't exist is very bizarre, and quite interesting to many. When and where he is drafted doesn't really matter much. If he still had one more year left at Notre Dame, the story would still be just as big.
Old 17 January 2013, 07:37 PM

And the story that she didn't exist then being contradicted by evidence that she did exist, well then it starts to sound like he's kooky, and that there's kind of a mystery about what the real story is. Those all make this more of a story as well.
Old 17 January 2013, 07:52 PM

Icon05 9 baffling questions in the Manti Te'o girlfriend hoax

College football star Manti Te'o says he was the victim of a cruel hoax, an elaborate scheme in which he fell for an imaginary girlfriend named Lennay Kekua and mourned her when she died of leukemia.

But he still has a lot of explaining to do.

The narrative crafted before and after the expose is full of conflicting information and holes bigger than those in Notre Dame's defensive line during its loss to Alabama.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013...irlfriend-hoax
Old 17 January 2013, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfresh View Post
Before this whole "girlfriend" thing, he was talked about as first round draft pick, probably one of the top 10. Now, various experts (i.e., people who can talk or type) are saying he should be skipped entirely. Some team will most likely still take him (look how a untouchable player like Vick worked out for the Eagles), but probably not in the first round.
The "experts" I've heard doubtthat this story will make any difference in where he is drafted.

What WILL make a difference is that he played terrible against 'bama. The wags think he probably dropped from a 10th~15th pick (first round) to 15th~25th pick because of that game performance. He'll certainly still go in the first round.
Old 17 January 2013, 08:07 PM

It is news because throughout the football season the story was about this young man overcoming personal tragedy, first his grandmother, then his girlfriend passing within hours of one another, and how he overcame to lead his team to victory after victory. If you follow college football, it was really the narrative of the season. To find out that it was all a lie makes it a big story.

That being said, it shouldn't affect his draft position. It may, but it shouldn't.

The beatdown by Alabama should affect his draft position.
Old 17 January 2013, 08:09 PM

Ponder

But if he was fooled that easily by an online prankster, then just think how easily he could be fooled by a clever offensive scheme ...
Old 17 January 2013, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CenTex View Post
... To find out that it was all a lie makes it a big story ...
To find out that half the narrative was a lie. His grandma really did exists and really did die.
Old 17 January 2013, 08:18 PM

Ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy101_again View Post
His grandma really did exist and really did die.
Until yesterday, people were saying that his girlfriend really did exist and really did die.
Old 17 January 2013, 08:20 PM

From snopes' link:

Quote:
Where's the motive? A central figure in the hoax is reported to be musician Ronaiah Tuiasosopo. Deadspin reported that he had contact with the woman, a former high-school classmate, whose photos were used to create Kekua's profile -- even obtaining one of the pictures from her directly. But the site also describes Tuiasosopo as a friend of Te'o, raising the question of why he would humiliate his buddy.
My immediate thought was that Tuiasosopo was the real romantic partner and that Kekua was a beard.
Old 17 January 2013, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy101_again View Post
To find out that half the narrative was a lie. His grandma really did exists and really did die.
Yes, that is right, thanks for the clarification.