snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Sports

Old 10 August 2013, 05:47 PM

Cheer The Olympic host country always wins a medal

Comment: One rumor I have heard is that an athlete of the host country of every
modern Olympics, both summer and winter, has won at least one medal.

I seem to remember hearing about this during a winter Olympics several
years ago when a skier or sledder won the bronze medal. His was the only
medal that the host country won, keeping the tradition alive. He bet his
coach that he would shave his head if he won a medal and they showed him
shaving his coach bald after the medal ceremony.

Is this true?
Old 10 August 2013, 05:52 PM

Ponder

Even if this is true, it's hardly remarkable or surprising.

The modern Olympics have pretty much always been held in large, industrialized countries in Europe and North America (and occasionally Asia) that send a healthy contingent of trained athletes to the games, so you'd expect them to score at least one medal throughout the entirety of the games (especially given the breadth of events that comprise the Olympics).

If the Olympics were held in places like the Maldives or Chad or Brunei, then this tidbit might be rather surprising.
Old 10 August 2013, 06:21 PM

Cheer

Unless I missed something while running through the list of Olympics winners, it is true that athletes from the host nation have always won at least one medal in every Olympics.

The sole instance I could find in which athletes from the host country won only a single medal was the 1984 Winter Olympics, when a Yugoslavian skier earned a silver medal in the giant slalom (which was Yugoslavia's first ever Winter Olympic medal).
Old 10 August 2013, 09:37 PM

Not to mention that given the number of medals actually handed out, it would probably be not be a surprise that the host nation might be amongst them. I mean there are 3 medals each. Chances are most nations that participate would get at least one medal.
Old 11 August 2013, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diddy View Post
Not to mention that given the number of medals actually handed out, it would probably be not be a surprise that the host nation might be amongst them. I mean there are 3 medals each. Chances are most nations that participate would get at least one medal.
It's not quite that likely. These are the figures for the percentage of NOC's that won at least one medal at each Olympic Games:

2012 - 42%
2010 - 32%
2008 - 42%
2006 - 33%
2004 - 37%
2002 - 31%
2000 - 40%
1998 - 33%
1996 - 40%
1994 - 33%
Old 11 August 2013, 02:08 AM

Ponder

Quote:
It's not quite that likely. These are the figures for the percentage of NOC's that won at least one medal at each Olympic Games.
Sure, but those figures include NOCs from many countries that are too small (geographically) and/or don't have a sufficient economic/social/political infrastructure to serve as Olympic hosts.
Old 11 August 2013, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopes View Post
Sure, but those figures include NOCs from many countries that are too small (geographically) and/or don't have a sufficient economic/social/political infrastructure to serve as Olympic hosts.
Absolutely, but I was replying specifically to "Chances are most nations that participate would get at least one medal". I should quoted more clearly. Anyway, I agree with the other posts saying it's hardly surprising that the host nations win medals. For the 2012 Olympic Games, the British Olympic Association had 541 athletes competing in all 26 sports and the won 65 out of 962 medals. For the Paralympics, 288 athletes competed and Team GB won 120 out of 1522 medals. It's hard to imagine a country that was wealth enough to host an Olympic Games but was so poor at sport that they didn't win any of the hundreds of medals being competed for.
Old 11 August 2013, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryM View Post
It's hard to imagine a country that was wealth enough to host an Olympic Games but was so poor at sport that they didn't win any of the hundreds of medals being competed for.
That's what I was going towards - most countries that are going to host - or at least get considered for the job, are going to win medals hosting or not since the amount of medals given out is so large to begin with. And the rumor says that the counties have to get just one - and it doesn't specify the type either.
Old 11 August 2013, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryM View Post
It's hard to imagine a country that was wealth enough to host an Olympic Games but was so poor at sport that they didn't win any of the hundreds of medals being competed for.
I don't know, Australia's hosted it a couple of times. Ha ha!
Old 12 August 2013, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
I don't know, Australia's hosted it a couple of times. Ha ha!
We will remember these comments when you guys start losing again :P
Old 13 August 2013, 03:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkster View Post
We will remember these comments when you guys start losing again :P
and it's only a matter of time.
Old 13 August 2013, 07:50 AM

I don't really follow sport - I had to check that Australia was still losing before writing that...
Old 20 August 2013, 02:38 AM

If memory serves, for some (possibly all) sports where an athlete/team would usually need to qualify* in order to compete in the Olympics, the host nation is guaranteed at least one entry in the tournament, even if no competitor from the country would have otherwise qualified.** Yes, generally these entries are long shots to medal, but it may have at least some impact on the host nation's medal total.

* i.e., through ranking in international competition.

** This is why, for example, the men's hockey teams for Italy and Japan were included in the tournament field for the Turin and Nagano Games, respectively.
Old 31 October 2013, 07:22 PM

You are correct, Meka. In almost every sport, the host nation gets a guaranteed qualification spot. I can't find a reputable website that gives a cover-all statement regarding this fact, but there's plenty of sources when talking about individual sports.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/mor...ball-olympics/

"Because it is the host nation, Great Britain will be one of the 12 teams represented in the tournament even though it has only appeared once in the Olympics, at the London Games of 1948, when it finished 0-5."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/oly...n-nations.html
Qualification system for the 2012 Olympic Games Women’s Hockey Tournament

Automatic qualifiers

Host nation – Great Britain

Africa – Champion at Africa Women’s Olympic Qualifying Tournament

America – Champion at 16th Pan American Games (women’s hockey competition)

Asia – Champion at 16th Asian Games (women’s hockey competition)

Europe – Champion at 10th EuroHockey Nations Championship for Women

Oceania – Champion at 7th Women’s Oceania Cup