snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Spook Central

Old 08 September 2017, 11:47 AM

Skull The Internet Is Truly Obsessed With This Cat Owner's Ghost Story

Quote:
The Internet Is Truly Obsessed With This Cat Owner's Ghost Story

An illustrator and cat owner has been sharing evidence of what he believes is paranormal activity within his apartment.

Adam Ellis began live-tweeting some unusual occurrences in his flat at the beginning of August.

He began with a Twitter thread suggesting his apartment was “haunted by the ghost of a dead child” because he kept having dreams about him. The internet found it fascinating, and ended up retweeting the thread more than 50,000 times.

He has since shared footage of his cats acting bizarrely in the middle of the night - and he’s either a video-editing whizz kid or he should probably find a new apartment, pronto.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com.au/201...?benref=theage

The cats go and stare at his front door right on midnight every night for 6 nights in a row. They also jump over invisible things and stand up and swipe at nothing. He set up a camera to capture all this and got footage of a glass moving all by itself, things falling off the wall, chairs rocking all by themselves, etc etc..

All of which would be really easy to fake ...
Old 08 September 2017, 12:19 PM

Quote:
...footage of his cats acting bizarrely in the middle of the night...
If that is reason to leave an apartment, we'll have lots of homeless cat owners.

Don "a cat acting bizarrely is a cat being a cat" Enrico
Old 08 September 2017, 01:38 PM

Quote:
They also jump over invisible things and stand up and swipe at nothing
My Iris jumps headfirst into the slider trying to catch the birds outside, and she's the **smart** one.
Old 08 September 2017, 03:17 PM

Icon18

Dear David-a-chow...

http://message.snopes.com/showthread.php?t=95931
Old 08 September 2017, 04:19 PM

Whalephant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
My Iris jumps headfirst into the slider trying to catch the birds outside, and she's the **smart** one.
Immy will stare intently at...air particles. I guess. There's nothing but a bare wall.
Old 08 September 2017, 05:57 PM

Every cat I've lived with has had a penchant for chasing ghost mice. Who knew being haunted could be so cute?
Old 09 September 2017, 12:35 AM

I have a theory after watching the video clip in the other thread - it involves string.

I think fine thread pulls the glass, and its strands of thread that the cats are responding to. Notice that the cats look in different directions at one point - if there is a ghostly child affecting the behaviour of these apparently clairvoyant cats, why aren't they both looking at it? And why aren't they looking in that direction when the glass is moved? One cat only looks towards the glass after it moves. They might be psychically inclined, but they're obviously not very impressed by this apparition.

I think the room is rigged up for some reason. Perhaps extra tricks were intended for the glass or perhaps the intention was to mess with the moggies all along. I think when the cats look in different directions, they're looking at movement at either end of a piece of string that runs parallel to the coffee table. One cat jumps over a thread at one point.

Mind you, I'm far from an expert. It could be just a simple (and boring) case of video editing. I am also curious about the cut in the video.