snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Diversions > Urban Legends Contest

Old 11 April 2017, 09:44 AM

Default Ken Jennings Trivia

New thread!

LAST WEEK'S ANSWERS

1. The MMR vaccine is by far the least effective (only 78 percent, with one dose) at preventing which of the three childhood diseases?
An MMR is pretty reliable against measles or rubella (if there aren't a lot of anti-vax weirdos in your school district) but not so hot against the other 'M', mumps.

2. The entire length of the Erie Canal runs through what U.S. state?
New York State--"from Albany to Buffalo," according to the Erie Canal song we learned in second grade.

3. What rock genre, often traced back to the 1988 My Bloody Valentine record Isn't Anything, was named for the introspective and motionless stage presence of its performers, who often avoided eye contact with the audience?
My Bloody Valentine et. al. are "shoegazing" or "shoegaze" bands, for the obvious introverted reason.

4. What material is engraved by scrimshaw artists?
Scrimshaw is engraving in bone or ivory.

5. What iconically famous woman, nicknamed "La Pucelle," is the principal villain of Shakespeare's Henry VI, Part 1?
Joan of Arc comes off considerably worse in Shakespeare than she does in Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure.

6. Since 2011, when the field last expanded, how many teams play in the NCAA basketball tournament ever year?
Sixty-eight teams now contract March Madness. If you're not a sports person: correct, 68 is not a power of two. Just Google it.

7. In addition to central Europe, what unusual distinction is shared by all these places? Australia, Greenland, Japan, Norway, Scotland, South Korea, Turkey, the United States, and the Moon.
Central Europe has THE Alps, but all these other places have AN Alps--that is, some other mountain range referred to by that name.

THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

1. Who is the most famous of the "Boiler Room Girls" who staffed Robert Kennedy's 1968 presidential campaign, as a result of her death the following year?

2. What trademark was introduced in 1974 by Canadian producers of rapeseed oil, in hopes of rebranding their product?

3. In what city could you hire one of the public bicycles known as Boris Bikes?

4. The number 525,600 is mentioned seven times in the signature song of what Broadway musical?

5. What European capital city is home to over half a million of the people once known as the "Letts"?

6. What comedian, known for his work on Laugh-In and with Robert Altman, adopted his stage name as a homophonic tribute to a favorite European playwright?

7. What unusual distinction do all these famous people have in common? Andy Griffith, Jon Hamm, Hugh Jackman, Lyndon B. Johnson, Stephen King, Georgia O'Keeffe, Bill O'Reilly, Eleanor Roosevelt, Justin Trudeau, H. G. Wells.

Enjoy.
Old 11 April 2017, 11:28 AM

3. In what city could you hire one of the public bicycles known as Boris Bikes? London?

6. What comedian, known for his work on Laugh-In and with Robert Altman, adopted his stage name as a homophonic tribute to a favorite European playwright? Henry Gibson (as in Henrik Ibsen)
Old 11 April 2017, 11:52 AM

For 2, rapeseed is AKA canola, but I didn't think that was a trademarked term.

ETA: I should know #5, Lett is a common crossword puzzle answer.
Old 11 April 2017, 12:39 PM

For 1 The Boiler Room Girl is Mary Jo Copcheski (?) the woman who was in a car crash with Ted Kennedy

For 2, rapeseed is canola (Canadian Oil)

For 4, 525,600 is the minutes in a year, in RENT

For 5, the Letts are in Vilnius?
Old 11 April 2017, 12:59 PM

i totally missed question #1. Her last name was Kopechne.
Old 11 April 2017, 01:15 PM

1. Who is the most famous of the "Boiler Room Girls" who staffed Robert Kennedy's 1968 presidential campaign, as a result of her death the following year? Mary Jo Kopechne?

2. What trademark was introduced in 1974 by Canadian producers of rapeseed oil, in hopes of rebranding their product? Canola

4. The number 525,600 is mentioned seven times in the signature song of what Broadway musical? Rent
Old 11 April 2017, 02:00 PM

Teacher

Quote:
1. Who is the most famous of the "Boiler Room Girls" who staffed Robert Kennedy's 1968 presidential campaign, as a result of her death the following year?

2. What trademark was introduced in 1974 by Canadian producers of rapeseed oil, in hopes of rebranding their product?

4. The number 525,600 is mentioned seven times in the signature song of what Broadway musical?

5. What European capital city is home to over half a million of the people once known as the "Letts"?

6. What comedian, known for his work on Laugh-In and with Robert Altman, adopted his stage name as a homophonic tribute to a favorite European playwright?

7. What unusual distinction do all these famous people have in common? Andy Griffith, Jon Hamm, Hugh Jackman, Lyndon B. Johnson, Stephen King, Georgia O'Keeffe, Bill O'Reilly, Eleanor Roosevelt, Justin Trudeau, H. G. Wells.
1. The one who died in that Ted Kennedy car crash, don't know her name.
2. Canola
3. London, I think
4. "Rent"
5. No idea
6. No idea
7. They were all teachers once, I think
Old 11 April 2017, 02:33 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by DadOf3 View Post
THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

Sharon Tate? Actually, I'm pretty sure the better guess is Janis Ian.
Quote:

Canola.
Quote:

I'm going to say Moscow, Russia. Speaking of public bikes, Seattle's program failed spectacularly. Apparently, people don't want to rent bikes in a hilly city. Fancy that!
Quote:

Rent, IIRC (which is funny, because I've never heard the complete score).
Quote:

Riga? I'm pretty sure that's Latvia, but I have gone completely blank on the name of its capital city.
Quote:

Arte Johnson?
Quote:

Now, that's a crew. I doubt they've all had TV shows named after them (although three of them have), or that they're politicians (although three of them are), or that they were married to famous spouses (although at least two of them were). I really don't have a guess. ETA If OnlyHere's guess is correct, where is Sting?

Seaboe

Last edited by Seaboe Muffinchucker; 11 April 2017 at 02:39 PM.
Old 11 April 2017, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
ETA If OnlyHere's guess is correct, where is ?
Seaboe
Don't now if he is correct or not , but it doesn't say it's an exclusive list.
Old 11 April 2017, 05:07 PM

Baseball 3 for 7 this week.

1. Mary Jo Kopechne (sp?)

2. Ah, from my part of the country, Canola oil.

3. London! Rode one last spring. It was fun.

4. It is not Oklahoma, so I'm going with Hamilton, just because it is in the news.

5. I'm guessing somewhere east. I'll say Warsaw.

6. Only names I know associated with that show is Rowan & Martin, Lily Tomlin and Goldie Hawn.

7. All got beat up by a member of the Friends cast.
Old 12 April 2017, 03:48 PM

1. I don't know her name but presumably it's the woman who died when she was driven off the bridge at Chappaquiddick.

2. Canola. (Here it's just called by its original name, or generic "vegetable oil" sometimes).

3. London.

4. -

5. If that's Latvia then it's Riga. (I think the Letts are from that area... (eta) Now that I've read other people's answers, I had been going to suggest dfresh's guess as another possibility - that's the capital of Lithuania, next door.)

6. I can't even come up with a guess at the moment!

Quote:
I read Stephen King's memoirs / writing advice (On Writing) quite recently so I should know all about him. I don't know enough about any of the others to compare, though. He's a recovering alcoholic / addict, but is that unusual in celebrity circles?
Old 12 April 2017, 03:51 PM

IDK how unusual it is, but if Eleanor Roosevelt had substance abuse issues she managed to keep it out of the history books.
Old 12 April 2017, 06:20 PM

Glasses

Not completely, though, Lainie, or we wouldn't know about them now.

Seaboe
Old 12 April 2017, 07:02 PM

Her husband certainly liked his drink.
Old 12 April 2017, 09:53 PM

Mary Jo Kopechne

Rīga
Old 14 April 2017, 05:21 PM

1. Mary Jo ... something I can never remember for some reason.

2. Canola.

3. Don't know.

4. "Entitled Twenty-somethings," or as it is more commonly known, "Rent".

5. Riga?

6. Don't know.

7. Nothing comes to mind.
Old 18 April 2017, 08:16 AM

Hello, all. Once again, it's time for Tuesday Trivia, courtesy of Mr. Ken Jennings. For those just joining us, as per Mr. Jennings' request, question 7 of each set of questions is delayed one week.

LAST WEEK'S ANSWERS

Mary Jo Kopechne was better off spending late nights with Bobby than with Teddy. She was the fatality in the notorious Chappaquiddick car accident, which followed a reunion party for Kennedy campaign staff.

"Canola" oil ("Can-" = Canada, "-ola" = oil) is an attempt to sell you rapeseed oil without using the word "rape," which I think you'll agree is probably not a bad marketing idea.

Boris Johnson was the former Mayor of London who championed the bike scheme. They're actually called "Santander Cycles," after their current sponsor.

That's the number of minutes in a (non-leap) year, as math savants and fans of the musical Rent already know. The number is the first thing mentioned in the lyrics of the song "Seasons of Love."

The Letts are more commonly called Latvians, almost half of whom live in the city of Riga.

James Bateman adopted the name "Henry Gibson" in honor of Henrik Ibsen. No kidding.

They all taught high school in a previous life . Weird how no one ever becomes rich and famous and THEN goes on to teach high school.

THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

1. In what 2009 novel, a bestseller for Penguin, do three Mississippi women write a book of essentially the same title for Harper & Row?

2. Who is the only A-list hip-hop star to host his official website using an Armenia country code top-level domain?

3. About 90 percent of the world's licorice is used not for candy but in what (non-edible) consumer product?

4. What's the only planet of the Solar System that can't be seen with the naked eye?

5. In what country did a 53-year civil war with FARC rebels lead to a 2016 ceasefire accord?

6. In what exercise program, founded in 2000 by Greg Glassman, would you attempt WODs (Workouts of the Day) like the "Filthy 50" and "King Kong"?

7. What unusual distinction is shared by these mammals, listed in this order? Elephants, whales, dolphins, rhinos, walruses, camels, giraffes, tapirs, manatees, zebras, donkeys.

Enjoy!
Old 18 April 2017, 12:52 PM

1. "The Help"?

2. Going to guess that's will.i.am.

3. Tobacco.

4. Neptune.

5. Colombia.

6. No idea.

7. Nothing comes to mind.
Old 18 April 2017, 01:21 PM

I think 6 is Crossfit.
Old 18 April 2017, 02:11 PM

2. Who is the only A-list hip-hop star to host his official website using an Armenia country code top-level domain? Not sure about the status as A-list, but I'm going to guess Kanye West since Kim Kardashian is Armenian.

4. What's the only planet of the Solar System that can't be seen with the naked eye? Pluto. RESIST THE PLANETOCRACY!

7. What unusual distinction is shared by these mammals, listed in this order? Elephants, whales, dolphins, rhinos, walruses, camels, giraffes, tapirs, manatees, zebras, donkeys. They were all saved by Melissa McCarthy.