snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Police Blotter

Old 13 October 2017, 09:32 PM

Baseball

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
Especially when you're just firing indiscriminately into a large crowd.
Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Q. Taft View Post
Yeah, if he had been trying to hit a specific person, or even a small group, those calculations would be a lot more important.
But he did have point targets he was trying to hit.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/10/10/us/las...nds/index.html

He attempted to fire incendiary rounds at a fuel tank visible from the hotel. This would require accurate calculation (not that those rounds would work on making an explosion) as even a slight misalignment of the muzzle would result in a missed shot.

Perhaps those calculations were for point targets.
Old 13 October 2017, 10:01 PM

Yes, they think he was shooting at the fuel tanks from the 2nd window, with a different weapon. The 2nd window was apparently a better vantage point for the fuel tanks.

This may have contributed to the belief some had that there were 2 people shooting.
Old 14 October 2017, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganzfeld View Post
it kind of goes with the territory of politics. [ . . . ] When the other side is on the ropes, the natural instinct is to go for the KO and they've honed these tactics over the past 30 years, bringing it right into new media.
It kind of goes with the current territory of USA politics; but I do remember times when, after the election, the mood was a whole lot more 'OK, the election's over, now let's all come together and try to deal with the situation the best that we can' -- and that wasn't just a noise meaning 'we're now going to insist that the losers ought to agree with us about everything'.
Old 15 October 2017, 12:15 AM

Yes, it comes and goes. Not surprisingly, it's the people who run on platforms of working with the other party who are best at it and those who run on burn it down and lock 'em up turn out to be shiddy lawmakers.
Old 15 October 2017, 12:33 AM

Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Q. Taft View Post
What gets me about the "victimization" on the right is how often it just seems so...twisted. The arguments about same-sex marriage, for example: I kept hearing about how we were "forcing" our values on them. Uh...you realize you can still marry a member of the opposite sex, right? I would certainly be opposed to mandatory same-sex marriage....
Feel a need to reiterate: it's not enough for them to have everything, if they can't have the tears of losers as well.

Though the argument in Taft's quote seems a common thing on the Christian Right or really just religious fundamentalists in general. It's not enough for them to be holy; they simply can't be properly holy, so long as there are other people out there, having fun and flashing their oh-so seductive ankles.

Hence the constant lobbying against GLBT people. They simply can't keep loudly denouncing GLBT people and letting their denomination continue to refuse to marry same-sex couples; they just can't be holy, so long as those same-sex couples are out there, getting married and :gasp: being normal contributing members of society.

Though when it comes to trans people, the Right's whinging is even more appalling. Trans people have the highest rate of suicide and are more likely to be the victims of hate crimes than any other minority group, but I'm sure being able to use the other bathroom totally makes up for it.
Old 15 October 2017, 01:04 AM

It's both terrifying and sad that the POTUS is speaking at anti-gay rallies and the second in line is one of the most extremist anti-LGBT politicians in the past few decades but, for the most part, they are losing that battle. The US now has some of the more liberal laws about same-sex marriage compared to the rest of the world. There's still a lot to do but they did lose that fight - at least for now. And, frankly, I think it would be a bit dumb of the progressives who have driven that change to say "well, we got what we wanted, why ask for more?" at this point.

That's almost the reverse of right's situation on the right to bear arms.
Old 16 October 2017, 05:25 PM

Snipers don't typically use calculation to set up their shots, neither do artillery gunners, which shoot orders of magnitude farther and have much more complex interactions to deal with. There are tables (and more recently computer based tables) that have what the shooter needs. For real accuracy multiple shots are taken and each shot is corrected based on the previous shot.

In the LV case there is basically a single correction that would be used for all of the shots into the crowd. It really isn't all that complex and hunters regularly do that type of setup.

One of the main original use of "computers" (human, mechanical and electronic) was to generate firing tables.
Old 16 October 2017, 09:39 PM

Baseball

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy101_again View Post
Snipers don't typically use calculation to set up their shots, neither do artillery gunners, which shoot orders of magnitude farther and have much more complex interactions to deal with.
Not quite. I am an artillery officer and we do calculations for every shot. There are 17 variables that have an impact on a projectile's flight. We don't just shoot in a direction and then adjust the fall of shot from the impact. We calculate our first round in anticipation of hitting the target with the first round. Given the possibility that some of the variables are hard to nail down or change frequently (wind direction being one) the rounds frequently miss, but land close, and we adjust fall of shot then too.

Snipers nowadays do also have computers. Some snipers do use it. Some don't. I've provided fire support for snipers, but am not a sniper. So, I can't speak too much about how the sniper computer is used.
Old 16 October 2017, 11:36 PM

If you do calculations, you are a computer, i.e., you compute. And for the sake of your troops, I hope you are good at it. Well, were good at it.
Old 17 October 2017, 01:48 AM

Baseball

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
Well, were good at it.
That's me. Were.

I came up in the old, old school where the backup to a computer is a human with the log tables, slide rules, trigonometry and wind vector tables. Now, thankfully, the backup to a computer is another computer.