snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > War, What Is It Good For?

Old 19 September 2017, 05:02 PM

Blow Your Top In U.N. speech, Trump threatens to ‘totally destroy North Korea’...

From the Washington Post:
Quote:
“We will have no choice but to totally destroy North Korea,” Trump said, before calling Kim by a nickname he gave the dictator on Twitter over the weekend. “Rocket Man is on a suicide mission for himself.”

Trump added, “If the righteous many do not confront the wicked few, then evil will triumph.”
Old 19 September 2017, 05:09 PM

What I heard of it was a very disturbing speech. In this case, it was even more terrifying because he was reading off a teleprompter, so he sounded so much less bumbling and impulsive, and more . . . like a despot.
Old 19 September 2017, 05:39 PM

The situation is rapidly reaching the point where Mike Pence's brand of evil actually would be preferable. And that's what really terrifies me.
Old 19 September 2017, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erwins View Post
What I heard of it was a very disturbing speech. In this case, it was even more terrifying because he was reading off a teleprompter, so he sounded so much less bumbling and impulsive, and more . . . like a despot.
I'd feel embarrassed for you guys, if I wasn't so aware that as the US' hat, Canada will get it's fair share of fallout if it comes to nuclear Armageddon.

So instead, I'll just be worried.

Quote:
It is up to us whether we will lift the world to new heights or let it fall into a valley of disrepair
Valley of disrepair? Really??
or did he mean despair?
Old 19 September 2017, 06:45 PM

That would be my guess. I'm sure his speechwriters are trying to write down to his vocabulary level, but that can't be easy.
Old 22 September 2017, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alarm View Post
I'd feel embarrassed for you guys, if I wasn't so aware that as the US' hat, Canada will get it's fair share of fallout if it comes to nuclear Armageddon.
Fall out might be the least of Canada's problems. The missile route goes over Canada (except for missiles targeting the US west coast), and given the minimal experience the N. Koreans have had in intercontinental missiles, the likelihood of one or more landing short is pretty high.
Old 22 September 2017, 02:36 PM

Always the voice of optimism aren't you?
Old 22 September 2017, 03:55 PM

Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy101_again View Post
Fall out might be the least of Canada's problems. The missile route goes over Canada (except for missiles targeting the US west coast), and given the minimal experience the N. Koreans have had in intercontinental missiles, the likelihood of one or more landing short is pretty high.
Like they say "Close only counts with Nuclear weapons and hand grenades!"

The fact remains that any nuclear holocaust targeted at the US would have unpleasant repercussions for us in the hat...
Old 22 September 2017, 07:36 PM

And of course there's retaliatory threats.

Quote:
Mr. Kim condemned Mr. Trump’s threat to “totally destroy” North Korea if the United States is forced to defend itself, and he declared that it had “convinced me, rather than frightening or stopping me, that the path I chose is correct and that it is the one I have to follow to the last.”
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/22/w...rth-korea.html