snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Urban Legends

Old 02 September 2010, 01:31 PM

Icon102 Recessed cigarette filters

I searched the board and the main site, and came up empty handed...

Last night, while hanging out with a few friends, one of them mentioned Parliament cigarettes and the recessed filter. She said they were manufactured that way so people could fill the gap with cocaine.

Now, I don't doubt that people did this, but I do doubt this was the intended purpose. Why *do* Parliaments have a recessed filter?
Old 02 September 2010, 02:04 PM

Quote:
In the same year, 1970, Parliament cigarettes of Philip Morris, Inc (80, 85, and 100 mm length) were tested. The Parliament cigarette was unique in that it had a 5 mm recessed charcoal filter.6, 7, 22 The novel filter was designed to prevent the tongue from touching the filter face.6, 22
http://tobaccocontrol.bmj.com/conten...ppl_1/i51.full

That explanation makes sense to me.

Wonko
Old 02 September 2010, 02:40 PM

Well alright, there ya go
Old 02 September 2010, 03:32 PM

What purpose would filling the gap with cocaine serve that could not be more easily acheived other ways? All that would happen would be a great big lungful of powder when you tried to light it, and that really isn't the best way to take powdered coke. Is it for storing drugs discretely? You would either need to keep the filter end up, which would make the powder or rock visible, or it would fall out.

ETA: I have an easier way to keep the tongue from touching the filter face: don't lick your cigarettes. Eww.
Old 02 September 2010, 06:51 PM

Yeah, I don't know really. My friend said that's what she did with her coke - it didn't sound like they'd pack it in there, but rather put some in so you get the numbing effect (or something? Like rubbing it on your gums? I dunno; I've never done coke!). She said she would also dip the end in it so she'd smoke some of it.
Old 02 September 2010, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geminilee View Post
ETA: I have an easier way to keep the tongue from touching the filter face: don't lick your cigarettes. Eww.
Seriously. I once knew a guy who chewed on the filters. Dis-gusting.

Wonko
Old 02 September 2010, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by granola shoes View Post
My friend said that's what she did with her coke - it didn't sound like they'd pack it in there, but rather put some in so you get the numbing effect (or something? Like rubbing it on your gums? I dunno; I've never done coke!). She said she would also dip the end in it so she'd smoke some of it.
For the numbing effect, why not just dip your finger in coke and rub your gums, rather than the cigarette? Some people may do it, but it seems pointless to me. Now, dipping the tobacco end into the powder, so that you are smoking it, that has a valid use. It is the easiest way to get a small effect of smoked coke without having a pipe handy.

Even if a couple people dipped the filter end, I am sure it was nowhere near enough to cause a company to make the filter ends hollow for that reason.
Old 02 September 2010, 07:02 PM

Exactly; I couldn't imagine an entire brand catering to a handful or two of coke users!

I may have misheard her; she said she knew people who put the coke in the recessed filter, and I thought she said she did it too. But she definitely claimed that's what it was for. My BS meter went "ding ding ding!!!"