snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Old 22 January 2016, 04:06 PM

Default An update to our adoption saga

So many of you were following the saga of my foster child whom we are planning on adopting.

It has been a few months since i posted -- so an update.

The other interested parties have been declined due to various reasons. Every single family member, and friend of family submitted an application to adopt. There were 19 applications in total. We are 90% certain she will remain with us (always leave room for doubt).

We were supposed to have our adoption hearing yesterday but it has been postponed indefinitely due to a scandal plaguing Greater Toronto Area Children's Aid societies -- seems the lab they used for drug screens had a kind of .. weak process- that basically said "if it is undecided, make it a positive test" and an extreme lack of forensic process that lead to massive amounts of cross contamination and a possible large number of false positives . see story here

Now this will not affect our claim at all as there was never a question about drug use -- but the agency now has to review every single adoption they have done under guidance of Mother risk --- this is 1000s of families affected - so they have put all other proceedings on hold....

There is light at the end of the tunnel though -- and she is for all intents -- our daughter -- she has even asked people to start calling her by her "new name" instead of her old family name -- cannot wait to be able to share more!
Old 22 January 2016, 04:15 PM

This just keeps on going. I am glad you (and hopefully her) are 90% confident, but the delays must be killing you. Are you still not allowed to take her out of the country and other restrictions?

As far as the lab...dang. All those poor kids/families that are now back into limbo.
Old 22 January 2016, 04:29 PM

I hope you are able to make it official soon, NDL. Thanks for keeping us updated.

I'm glad to hear the lab's incompetence won't affect you. I hate thinking of the unnecessary heartache and uncertainty it may have caused.
Old 22 January 2016, 04:54 PM

In a way it just keeps going and every time you approach the finish line, they announce "One lap to go!" I can only imagine how heart-wrenching it is for all of you.

On the other hand, each bit of news of late has been better and better, so hang on to that. Good luck to your family!
Old 22 January 2016, 05:13 PM

I second everything Dr. Dave said.

I'm sorry you aren't through yet, but happy that you keep getting closer. I can't wait to see your final announcement on this.
Old 22 January 2016, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erwins View Post
I'm sorry you aren't through yet, but happy that you keep getting closer. .
Doubt I can say it any better than that; so I'll just second that one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_Done_Living View Post
Every single family member, and friend of family submitted an application to adopt. There were 19 applications in total.
While I understand that none of them may be suited to take care of her, and that their motives may not be the ideal ones: at least she's wanted!

-- but what she wants is to stay with you.
Old 27 January 2016, 04:59 PM

D'oh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Dave View Post
In a way it just keeps going and every time you approach the finish line, they announce "One lap to go!" I can only imagine how heart-wrenching it is for all of you.
Ain't that the truth! Can't wait for the day when Foster Daughter becomes Firstname NotDoneLiving!
Old 01 February 2016, 07:33 PM

Sigh -- just gonna dump this here----

So the istuation is -- our girl's family only had one MR test done -- it was just a matter of policy -- and now officially -- we are on hold until her case is reviewed an cleared by an independent panel yet to be named .

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/t...risk-1.3426386
Old 01 February 2016, 08:33 PM

I am so sorry. That is insane. Is the drug use really a factor, since it sounds like they were generally crap parents, and incarcerated (or in detox) for a while?
Old 01 February 2016, 08:42 PM

That's a question for the independent panel probably. I would guess that any pending adoption where there was an MR test is being put on hold no matter how incidental the results of the test were.
Old 01 February 2016, 09:47 PM

Oh good grief.

I hope they get those panels set up fast, and working fast -- but intelligently.

If only one test out of all the evidence is at issue in your case, I would think it's just a glitch -- but a glitch that's very hard on all concerned, and hardest on Still-Foster Daughter.
Old 02 February 2016, 12:02 AM

so the panel has to determine if the MR test was A factor - then they have to determine how much of a factor. If the MR result was not the key factor (as in they had evidence of other neglect but they were first involved due to the MR results) they have to determine if they would have had the opportunity to find the other information if not for the MR result which could be deemed illegal -- and THEN children may return to unfit unsafe homes until the agencies can rebuild a proper case.

Now for us, it was a neglect first that uncovered drug use -- and it was unquestionable drug use-- but we have to queue and wait for them to get to our file. there is a group of affected pre and post adoptive parents starting to gather ...

Meanwhile the bio parents are foaming at the mouth claiming that they must have been unjustifiably affected and look at them first..

and the issue is.. it wasn't that the tests were necessarily wrong -- they just didn't use "gold standard" processes -- so its not clear one bit what the outcome may be at all for anyone.
Old 02 February 2016, 02:17 PM

Glasses

I'm so sorry NDL, and hope they pop your file to the top in order to clear out the least affected cases first. May your next post be your last pre-adoption post.

Seaboe
Old 12 May 2016, 05:26 PM

**UPDATE** The social workers just left -- We are GOOD TO PROCEED with the adoption!!!!!! We have a meeting on June 2nd with the Adoption Council to present our "Why we need her in our life" presentation --

They also told us they are encouraging the Adoption Council to fast track the process to give her permanency and to undo the damage the delays have caused....

doing a happy dance here!!!! !!!! !!!
Old 12 May 2016, 05:46 PM

Very cool to read that. Be sure to tell them you need her in your life to make a bunch of snopesters happy on your behalf, and on her behalf.
Old 12 May 2016, 06:02 PM

Yahooooo! and characters. NDL and family have good characters --
Old 12 May 2016, 07:26 PM

It's pouring down outside, but it's sunny on snopes. Happy, happy, joy, joy!
Old 12 May 2016, 07:39 PM

Glasses

So happy to hear this.

Seaboe
Old 12 May 2016, 08:05 PM

Cheer

Yay, yippee, and hurray!
Old 12 May 2016, 10:29 PM

Cheer

Wahoo! and Wahoo again!