snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > History

Old 29 October 2014, 06:22 PM

Default Scientists ID Amelia Earhart's Plane

Researchers have identified a piece of aluminum found in 1991 as belonging to Amelia Earhart's plane.

According to a press release from the The International Group for Historic Aircraft Recovery, the aluminum sheet is a patch of metal installed on Earhart's plane during her eight-day stay in Miami, the fourth stop on her global tour.

http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/...plane-fragment

(It was discovered by the same group that's been criticized through this thread, of course, so take it with how ever many grains of salt you want.)
Old 08 March 2018, 03:09 PM

Well, they're still trying.

Since the bones themselves apparently no longer exist, I'm dubious about the strength of the evidence.
Old 09 March 2018, 07:01 AM

Airplane

Is it just me, or does this sort of thing appear about every five years.
Old 09 March 2018, 11:01 AM

Coincidentally, I just visited my in-laws a few weeks ago, and my FIL told me a story from his long military career I hadn't heard before:

He was stationed at Eniwetok in the 1950's for a year, after the nuclear tests. One end of the atoll was off-limits to all personnel except MPs (and presumably upper brass). One night, he took a swim and snuck past the guards. At the far end, there was a large tent, and inside, there was an airplane... a Lockheed Electra, which was the plane Earhart was flying when she disappeared.

According to my FIL, shortly after his visit, the tent and aircraft were removed from the island. Cue X-Files music.
Old 09 March 2018, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeptic View Post
Seems to, yeah.
Old 09 March 2018, 05:29 PM

Quote:
I wonder, do various mysteries and theories each have their own natural resurfacing frequency? Does that frequency decrease the farther back the event is? Earhart's frequency is 5 years. Jack the Ripper is 10 years. ...
Old 09 March 2018, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crius of CoH View Post
According to my FIL, shortly after his visit, the tent and aircraft were removed from the island. Cue X-Files music.
If this was the case, then you FIL would have disappeared shortly after the visit
Old 09 March 2018, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Dave View Post
If this was the case, then you FIL would have disappeared shortly after the visit
"They" probably figured a guy who was stationed on a radioactive island wouldn't be around to tell the story very long...

...and yes, they did daily sweeps with Geiger counters and wore dosimeters (for the first month or so, then they'd stop wearing them because why bother?)
Old 09 March 2018, 10:16 PM

Whalephant

Quote:
Well, TIGHAR has been pushing their evidence every year or so. I think they are very serious and committed to solving the mystery. My problem with all of their evidence is that they've engaged in a tremendous amount of work to confirm their hypothesis and almost none to disprove it so (of course) they've confirmed it many ways, many times and there's no way of knowing at this point the likelihood they are wrong or right.

This particular study is not them (I guess) but it's someone working on their particular hypothesis and it seems like the same trap. The study itself mentions at least seven other reasonable people documented to have disappeared on the exact island during that time whereas Earhart is known to have been somewhere in a several hundred mile radius. So the statement in the paper that "In the case of the Nikumaroro bones, the only documented person to whom they may belong is Amelia Earhart" is more a statement on the lack of the specific physical records of those people. (Gee, why do we have more documentation about a world-famous aviator than random shipwreck victims and castaways?) There were several other known shipwrecks and many people known to have died in the area. How many other people could have had their skeletons arrive on the island in various ways during the previous 30 or 50 or 100 years... So this kind of statement is extremely dubious (to me at least - maybe I'm missing something).

It's frustrating because this has been the way this avenue has been pursued the whole time. They find a bit of a comb or something and trace it back to 1930's US female populations. But there's no effort to find such evidence on similar islands that are definitely not where she disappeared or to make a catalogue of all the items found that were not from the same period. So sifting through tonnes of flotsam and jetsam on an island they found what they think is compelling evidence and a compelling story. We're left wondering "what are the odds?" and there's not going to be an answer, presumably because that kind of research doesn't get funded, I suppose.

I'm glad this adds more evidence but it doesn't make a big change in the quality of the evidence.
Old 10 March 2018, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Dave View Post
Have you ever seen Crius of CoH's FIL? Me neither...I am thinking this counts as proof.

Or was Crius of CoH's FIL Bigfoot? I've never seen him either.