snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Spook Central

Old 16 January 2007, 03:25 AM
bad_karma24

Default Who Killed Kennedy?

I'm a big fan of history, especially learning about the assassination of JFK, and alternate theories and whatnot. I especially enjoyed Oliver Stone's JFK (full of errors as it was). I even made a documentary on it for my English class at school (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0e5I-OL5Wpw). What take does everyone here have on the assassination and the "cover up" (if any)?
Old 16 January 2007, 05:20 AM
vison

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad_karma24 View Post
I'm a big fan of history, especially learning about the assassination of JFK, and alternate theories and whatnot. I especially enjoyed Oliver Stone's JFK (full of errors as it was). I even made a documentary on it for my English class at school (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0e5I-OL5Wpw). What take does everyone here have on the assassination and the "cover up" (if any)?

I'm old enough that I was at work when JFK was shot. It was an awful day.

I think Lee Harvey Oswald shot JFK from a window in the Texas Schoolbook Depository. I don't think there was a second shooter, or a conspiracy. I think it was just as we saw and heard then, and that now, 43 years later, it's quite easy to imagine things.
Old 16 January 2007, 07:35 AM

I believe in the Red Dwarf version.

Lister ran out of curry, went back in time using a time machine and accidentally stopped Oswald from shooting Kennedy. This caused people to see what a bastard JFK really was, so history went wrong at that point. They realized they had to kill him, so they went back in time a couple of more times, but smegged it up royally each time. So, they go back in time one more time, fetch JFK after the assassination attempt and show him what the effects of not getting killed was. He saw the problem, and shot himself from behind that grassy knoll. In other words, a simple suicide.

It's obvious, once you think about it.

Otherwise, I believe it as Oswald, but that's not the important question. I don't believe he acted on his own, and he was gunned down awfully quick. There was probably no second gunman, but I think there are reasons to look into if someone got Oswald to do it.
Old 16 January 2007, 07:37 AM

I think he probably acted on his own, and Jack Ruby acted on his own in doing what he thought was best for the country. Don't get me wrong, Ruby was an ass, but if he kept his mouth shut about a massive conspiracy he was involved in it would have been the first secret he kept his entire life.
Old 16 January 2007, 09:23 AM
Sunny Lea

Your video isn't working for me. (Says "invalid video ID" I think.)

I had a chemistry professor who was really interested in JFK's assassination and would do a presentation on it every year. The thing I considered most curious was the "umbrella man." It really was a bit odd.
Old 16 January 2007, 10:55 AM

Icon27

People carry umbrellas as parasols all the time. And what do they do when they want to cheer or wave with a parasol/umbrella? Exactly what the umbrella man reportedly did. So what's the big mystery? (That's just one of many explanations besides that of the man who claimed to be the umbrella man -- that it was a protest. See Umbralla Man entry at Wikipedia.)

Last edited by ganzfeld; 16 January 2007 at 11:00 AM.
Old 16 January 2007, 12:35 PM

Marilyn Monroe, in the conservatory with the lead pipe.

Seriously - sheesh get over it. It was 40 something years ago. Even in the unlikely event it wasn't Lee Harvey Oswald, the chances of bringing the perpetrator to justice are practically zero - if this supposed other gunman existed he's either dead by now or soon will be.

To me it's a bit like the "Who was Jack the Ripper" documentaries that turn up on TV every year or two, each with a different suspect. No-one cares, but I suppose that eventually between them the will have named everyone who lived and worked in London at the time, so one of them must be right.
Old 16 January 2007, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad_karma24 View Post
I'm a big fan of history, especially learning about the assassination of JFK, and alternate theories and whatnot.
There are no alternate "theories" that have not already been thoroughly, soundly, completely and (sad that it is necessary) repeatedly debunked.
Old 16 January 2007, 02:29 PM

The truth revealed!
Old 16 January 2007, 02:42 PM

Quote:
There are no alternate "theories" that have not already been thoroughly, soundly, completely and (sad that it is necessary) repeatedly debunked.
While not an expert on this issue in any way (I've seen the Red Dwarf version and the Oliver Stone version and snapped up some random tidbits every now and then), I still have to say that while the alternative theories have been debunked, hasn't the official theory also been pretty badly shot down (or at least have a bunch of holes in it that has not yet been explained)?
Old 16 January 2007, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troberg View Post
While not an expert on this issue in any way (I've seen the Red Dwarf version and the Oliver Stone version and snapped up some random tidbits every now and then), I still have to say that while the alternative theories have been debunked, hasn't the official theory also been pretty badly shot down (or at least have a bunch of holes in it that has not yet been explained)?

No, and sadly the fact that so many people still think this is part of what keeps the door open for otherwise reasonable people to move into tinfoil hat territory.

Yes, there were errors in the Warren report, but that territory has been covered and covered again. The official version of events (Oswald acted alone, Ruby acted alone, there was no conspiracy anywhere) has held up to scrutiny.
Old 16 January 2007, 04:32 PM

But there was a consiracy. In fact, there were several. The Secret Service conspired to cover up why they let a President get shot as did the FBI, Dallas police, etc. But Oswald did the actual shooting by himself as did Ruby. Both acted without outside help.
Old 16 January 2007, 04:51 PM

While there are some errors in the Warren Report, they are trivial and don't affect the basic conclusion.

What has happened is that originally, objections were raised. This is a good thing, and a healthy debate. But all the objections have been rebutted by now, and the conspiracy buffs continue to raise them again and again.

And though there errors and minor holes in the Warren Report, there are holes as big as the Queens-Midtown Tunnel in all JFK conspiracy theories. Statements are made that are completely contrary to fact. For instance, smoke on the grassy knoll* from gunfire, when guns haven't given off smoke since the Civil War.

I once discussed this issue with a conspiracy buff and she quoted all these pro-conspiracy studies that said there had to be smoke. I finally said to her, "Forget the studies. Take a look at a gun being fired and you'll see what I mean." She refused to even consider the request.

*A term that confuses the issue. The Warren Commission used a different term for the location (I believe it was "the trees on the north side of Elm Street); by using "grassy knoll," it gives the impression the commission was ignoring it.
Old 16 January 2007, 05:17 PM
bad_karma24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny Lea View Post
Your video isn't working for me. (Says "invalid video ID" I think.)

I had a chemistry professor who was really interested in JFK's assassination and would do a presentation on it every year. The thing I considered most curious was the "umbrella man." It really was a bit odd.
Sorry about the link... here's one that should work: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0e5I-OL5Wpw

Oh, and the umbrella man is a crock. Some people even say that he fired a dart into Kennedy's head to "finish the deed."
Old 16 January 2007, 06:09 PM

IMO Oswald did it and he acted alone.

Ruby may have killed him because he knew Oswald and possibly was afraid Oswald would somehow implicate him (perhaps something like "Me and Ruby talked about JFK and agreed someone should shoot the bastard").
Old 17 January 2007, 03:53 AM
Delta-V

The unified conspiracy theory:
Kennedy was killed by Gus Grissom and Ed White, who were positioned behind the grassy knoll, working for the CIA. Grissom and White were subsequently eliminated in the Apollo One 'accident'. The Apollo program and it's faked moon landing were developed to cover up their deaths.
Old 17 January 2007, 04:08 AM

...and then Gus Grissom rose from the dead to head the new CSI division in Los Vegas.
Old 17 January 2007, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Slick View Post
...and then Gus Grissom rose from the dead to head the new CSI division in Los Vegas.
He changed his name to Gil Grissom when he moved to Las Vegas.
Old 17 January 2007, 08:44 AM

Quote:
The unified conspiracy theory:
Kennedy was killed by Gus Grissom and Ed White, who were positioned behind the grassy knoll, working for the CIA. Grissom and White were subsequently eliminated in the Apollo One 'accident'. The Apollo program and it's faked moon landing were developed to cover up their deaths.
You are still unable to explain the alien and the Elvises. And what about Nixon?
Old 17 January 2007, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked Tinkerbell View Post

He changed his name to Gil Grissom when he moved to Las Vegas.
Well, of course. If he would have gone as Gus Grisson, everybody would have figured it out.