snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Legal Affairs

Old 29 June 2007, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James G View Post
Am I the only person who has never had problems with JWs? A group came to my door once, they introduced themselves (By way of saying, "Well I expect you'll have guessed who we are.") were polite, and when I said I'd thought about philosphy and theology and had drawn my own conclusions and wasn't interested they were polite, thanked me and went on there way.
I'm sure it depends on your community. We have at least two JW churches here, and they do make their rounds. We'll convince one team that we're not interested and a few months later there's a new crew at the door.

The Baptists can be a problem too. Go to their church for a special music service and fill out a visitor card and someone will be at your door on Monday night to shake your hand and ask you to join. Sigh.

Give me Presbyterians any day.
Old 29 June 2007, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spam & Cookies-mmm View Post
I'm sure it depends on your community. We have at least two JW churches here, and they do make their rounds. We'll convince one team that we're not interested and a few months later there's a new crew at the door.
They're probably all coming from the same Kingdom Halls, no matter how many you have in your community. Each congregation has an assigned territory that's divided into sub-territories. And they will come back the next time they pass through your sub-territory -- you might have changed your mind, or moved, plus the same individuals don't get the same sub-territory every time.

Quote:
The Baptists can be a problem too. Go to their church for a special music service and fill out a visitor card and someone will be at your door on Monday night to shake your hand and ask you to join.
A Baptist minister showed up at my door without even that initial contact.
Old 29 June 2007, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopes View Post
Even if such signs were legally enforceable:

a) By the time you got police to come out for a trespassing violation, the solicitor would be long gone.

b) It would probably be rather difficult to demonstrate that a solicitor's knocking on your door damaged you to an extent justifying a large award in a civil suit.

- snopes
c) blood from a turnip syndrome: how much money do you think you could expect from a door to door salesman anyway?
Old 29 June 2007, 03:50 PM
Grand Illusion

I've got a personal story pertaining to this:

The local newspaper kept placing free promotional papers on my door. I got sick and tired of it, so I put up a sign that said something like, "Attention newspaper carrers: if you place any unrequested newspapers on my property, you are consenting to being charged a $5 disposal surcharge. If you don't consent to the surcharge, do not put a paper on my property. Denver Post, this includes you!"

A few days later, I found a paper on my doorstep. I called the paper and told them about my sign. They sent someone over to confirm the presence of the sign. At first, they said thet they could not see the sign, even though they admitted to seeing the No Solicitors sign next to it, those bastages. When I pressed them on the matter, they said that I would recieve my $5 if I returned the paper to their home office. Little did they know that I work five blocks from their office and I went there over lunch and returned the paper.

I got my $5 (I'm now my own entry in their accounts payable) . I cashed the check and had lunch at McD's on them. I never saw another paper on my doorstep. I attribute my success to the low dollar amount. I don't think it would have worked if I had demanded $500 or $10,000.
Old 29 June 2007, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STF View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by James G
Am I the only person who has never had problems with JWs? A group came to my door once, they introduced themselves (By way of saying, "Well I expect you'll have guessed who we are.") were polite, and when I said I'd thought about philosphy and theology and had drawn my own conclusions and wasn't interested they were polite, thanked me and went on there way.
They haven't bothered me really. I stand there and have a brief conversation and they leave. One time they left almost immediately when they realized I had just woken up. I looked like hell when I got to that door. They apologized for bothering me and that was that.
I've never had a problem with them either. I think I've been visited twice and both times I said I wasn't interested, the offered me a Watchtower, I said no thanks and they said that's fine and left.

A "No freee newspapers etc." sign on my front door stopped a lot of crap coming through my letterbox, but I don't seem to get many people coming door-to-door at all.
Old 29 June 2007, 04:12 PM

I briefly distributed those free newspapers. If you call the company that's sending them out, they'll mark your address as "do not deliver" and the carrier will skip you.
Old 29 June 2007, 04:24 PM
Beastly Despot

Quote:
Why would you do that? Did you think it was funny to wake people up who work nights and sleep days? To disturb people who just want to be left alone? It makes no sense at all why you would deliberately be rude, especially when it wastes your time as a salesperson.
What can I say? I was 19 and yeah it seemed funny at the time. As far as wasting my time goes, I made about $120 in six weeks so I wasn't real picky about maximizing my efforts. I was just no good at the whole thing.

Plus after a couple weeks at sales school and weekend sales meetings, I was kind of brainwashed by the good folks at Southwestern books to move past "objections", whatever they may be (that would include a "no soliciting" sign).

You realize pretty quickly that everyone hates a door-to-door salesman and the quicker you embrace it and move on, the less pain you suffer being the most hated person on the block. That was what they told us, at least. It never took for me.
Old 29 June 2007, 04:52 PM
matches

I cannot vouche for the validity of this statement, but it was presented to me by a door to door salesman that I once worked with that signs reading No Soliciting or no Solicitors related only to people soliciting donations.

As he stated he was a peddler and as such could only be impeaded by signs which read no peddlers or no peddling (which do exist as well ocasionally in concert with a no soliciting sign).

This seems to me to be a valid legal argument, and one that a person would have to circumvent if one wished to sue someone for disturbing their dinner with fantastic offers.

Along these same lines, one could argue that as the common use of the word soliciting in a legal sense often refers to requesting the services of a prostitute one could argue that since the salesman did not ask to have sex with the home owner in exchange for money there were not soliciting.

Now if a no soliciting sign has a valid legal standing, one wonders if that public statement extends to telemarketors, or telecharitable soliticitors. One would think that would all but destroy that industry if it did.
Old 29 June 2007, 06:31 PM

Witch

Quote:
I got into a splendid half-hour long conversation once with a pair of JWs who came to the door when I was living with my father and stepmother. Apparently they had come to the door several times before, when I wasn't home, and just kept coming back. Heh, I had just finished interpreting a rather in-depth Bible study course, and knew a lot. It was dueling Bible verses there for a while and they eventually left, after wishing me a nice day. All very civil, and they never came back.

I had a pair come to my door here a couple of years ago. During the five-minute conversation, I made reference to my church a few times. Those two never came back, either.
Old 29 June 2007, 06:44 PM

Can I just step in and apologise for my horrid there/their grammatical error. Not sure how that one skipped through, I know my spelling is atrocious, but I'm well aware of the distinction and am embarrassed by my mistake.
Old 29 June 2007, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
I don't know the law in Canada, but in the US, the Supreme Court has repeatedly ruled against muncipalities who tried to restrict door-to-door activity in their communities.

Link
I'm not sure that is rellevant to the OP. There are a lot of things that a municipality cannot due that a private citizen can do. A private citizen can deny access to their property based on race, religion, nation of origin, color of hair or whatever else they think is relevant. A municipality can't do the same thing.
Old 30 June 2007, 12:06 AM

It was recently made illegal in Portsmouth (UK) to ignore such a sign, however inpractice it is difficult to enforce as after a complaint is made to police they then have to be officially warned and only subsequent offences would result in action being taken
Old 30 June 2007, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
I meant it wouldn't apply if they came back a year later, or a month later.
It shouldn't matter how long you're gone for. Once you see the sign, you've been told. You shouldn't have needed to be told to go away a first time; that's what the sign is for.

Quote:
As for signs, are we talking about a No Trespassing sign or a No Soliciting sign?
Either would work; it doesn't matter. if you're there to solicit, you're not welcome. The sign says so.

I suppose you can argue that if the sign says "No soliciting" you're okay to go up and ring the bell, no matter who you are (even if you're a solicitor.) After all, you may be a solicitor, but you're not soliciting, which is what the sign prohibits. But that's really splitting hairs

Quote:
Give me Presbyterians any day.
How about the atheists? We don't really bother anybody. Think about it; you ever had some jerk in a pair of ratty jeans on your doorstep saying "Hey, stop believing in God! Here, read my litereature!"? Then maybe he hands you a blank paper?
Old 30 June 2007, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Same here. They were polite and left, and never called again although they were back in the neighbourhood months later. Do they keep records of where not to call?
Old 30 June 2007, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeptic View Post
Same here. They were polite and left, and never called again although they were back in the neighbourhood months later. Do they keep records of where not to call?
They keep records of their activity. I suppose some of them might jot down "don't knock at this door for a while." They probably will come back eventually in case you move, or have a change of heart.
Old 02 July 2007, 01:47 PM
gmholler

I can't say that I've had trouble with JWs here in LA, but then, we're seldom home while it's light enough to go door-to-door. Where I grew up, the village gave out "No solicitors or peddlers" signs that seemed to work there (IL). I made one up and put it on my door - I had to translate it into French (I had a one guy ring the bell and ask me what the sign said, saying he could only read French) as well.

I don't mind the neighborhood kids coming over and asking me to buy some stuff for school. What I *do* mind is a practice I've seen in my area - at the beginning of the school year, a van will drop off a group of kids, all with those fundraising packets from their school, at an intersection about a block from me and then take off, presumably to let the kids fan out and sell their stuff. And when they get to my house, they make a racket ringing the bell and pounding on the door (I have no idea why they feel they have to do both, I've tried it and I can hear the bell ringing just fine), and then when I ask them if they read the sign and know what a solicitor or peddler is, they tell me "Oh no, I want you to buy stuff to help our school"!
Old 02 July 2007, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosherette View Post
I've never had a problem with them either. I think I've been visited twice and both times I said I wasn't interested, the offered me a Watchtower, I said no thanks and they said that's fine and left.
Heh, there was me tempting fate. The last religious callers were JWs who came round when I lived in Alfreton, so at least two years ago - until I mentioned religious visitors on this thread and got a visit from some yesterday. They introduced themsleves as from the "Church of Jesus Christ" - I presume Jesus Christ of the Latter Day Saints? Are they the Mormons? (They had North American accents as well, which was unexpected.)

They still didn't cause a problem though - I just said no thanks and off they went.
Old 02 July 2007, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosherette View Post
Heh, there was me tempting fate. The last religious callers were JWs who came round when I lived in Alfreton, so at least two years ago - until I mentioned religious visitors on this thread and got a visit from some yesterday. They introduced themsleves as from the "Church of Jesus Christ" - I presume Jesus Christ of the Latter Day Saints? Are they the Mormons? (They had North American accents as well, which was unexpected.)

They still didn't cause a problem though - I just said no thanks and off they went.
Were they wearing white shirts and plastic name tags? I know that Mormons send "missionaries" to foreign countries, and North America has, I'm sure, the highest concentration of them.

Are there Mormons in the UK?
Old 02 July 2007, 02:28 PM
Beastly Despot

When I was selling books door to door (back in '89), my best customers (read: my only customers) were JW's. They often told me I was a terrible salesman, but they knew how hard it was to go around and be an unwelcome guest everywhere you went. They often threw me some pity sales.

I've always had a warm spot in my heart for them since then. When they come to the door, I usually tell them I'm not interested but offer a glass of water and ask how things are going for them. Now that I have kids, I guess I don't do that anymore, but I used to enjoy getting a "witnessing report" from them when they came around.
Old 02 July 2007, 02:30 PM

Interesting tidbit from my mother, who was still going door-to-door well into her 80's: She has always said that the people she meets are friendlier and warmer during the holiday season. The first few times she went door-to-door after 9/11, she said it was just like the holiday season: everybody was nicer.

Beastly Despot, you rock.