snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Old 23 September 2018, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
Maybe it worked.
-- well, maybe not. Apparently Lainie recovered their password by other means.
Old 23 September 2018, 07:03 PM

It did not work. I got a new chromebook this weekend, and after an update, it opened the ulmb, with a password populated. I tried logging in and it worked (and now I've updated my password).
Old 23 September 2018, 09:12 PM

That . . . seems very strange to me; but then, I'm not much of a computer person. If your old laptop didn't know the password, how could the new one get it?

Anyway, I'm glad you're here.
Old 23 September 2018, 09:53 PM

I don't exactly understand myself, but it has something to do with my Google account.
Old 23 September 2018, 11:48 PM

Google gives you the option to save your passwords so that if you're logged in to your Google account, you can log in everywhere else.
Old 23 September 2018, 11:52 PM

Yes. That's turned off on the laptop I was using, but it's the default setting, apparently, so it was auto-populated on the Chromebook.
Old 24 September 2018, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Enrico View Post
For what it's worth, I would guess that at least 70 % of the people in any given Oktoberfest beer-tent are tourists, many of them dressed up in stupid verdions of regional costumes.
Well, wouldn't want to be in the minority...

(eta) Oh, hello Lainie, did you go somewhere?
Old 24 September 2018, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
Yes. That's turned off on the laptop I was using, but it's the default setting, apparently, so it was auto-populated on the Chromebook.
Does that mean that Google was saving all your passwords all along even though you'd told it not to?

While I'm really glad it got you back on the boards, that sounds like a screaming huge security/privacy issue to me.

Think I'll continue to not use a Google account (and to keep writing down my passwords. Where I keep the notes I ain't gonna tell -- ). Though for all I know Google and twenty six other organizations have stolen them already.
Old 24 September 2018, 03:14 PM

Icon102

I have blue eyes; DH has brown eyes. If we'd had kids, what color would their eyes have been?
Old 24 September 2018, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnStorm View Post
I have blue eyes; DH has brown eyes. If we'd had kids, what color would their eyes have been?
https://www.babymed.com/tools/baby-e...=Brown&p2=Blue
Old 24 September 2018, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
Does that mean that Google was saving all your passwords all along even though you'd told it not to?
No. I turned that off on my other laptop, and it stayed off. But the chromebook is brand new, and apparently working off a default setting. IOW, I had not told it that I didn't want my passwords saved/populated.

Quote:
Think I'll continue to not use a Google account (and to keep writing down my passwords. Where I keep the notes I ain't gonna tell -- ). Though for all I know Google and twenty six other organizations have stolen them already.
You should do whatever you want, of course, but again, but please don't use my story to justify your concerns with using Google. My situation is not reflective of any security issues with Google. I don't want to create that misunderstanding.
Old 24 September 2018, 05:42 PM

Quote:
No. I turned that off on my other laptop, and it stayed off. But the chromebook is brand new, and apparently working off a default setting. IOW, I had not told it that I didn't want my passwords saved/populated.
Google must have remembered your password at some point in the past, though, in order to populate the password field on the new Chromebook. So if you thought you'd turned off the thing that made Google save your passwords, it doesn't seem to have worked... unless you turned it off after you'd already allowed it to remember that one?

I always click "Never" when Chrome asks if it wants me to remember a password, too. (I didn't know there was a way to stop it asking altogether). So I'd be annoyed if it turned out that it had remembered one after all.

(eta) I just found the option and turned it off ("Offer to save passwords" under Passwords in Settings), and on that page it lists all the sites whose password it's remembered (none, in my case) and all the sites that I've told it never to remember (a fair list). You can presumably see which ones it knows on that page, if using Chrome.

I just realised it's ambiguous, though... I told it not to offer to save passwords, rather than not to save them! Maybe it means that it's going to save them without bothering to ask, now!

(eta again) Hmm, Chrome itself didn't have any site passwords listed, but there's a link in there for "View and manage saved passwords in your Google account". And Google has a different list - apparently Google itself has saved two passwords that Chrome doesn't know about. One of which, weirdly, is a password for an old test account at my previous workplace (I just removed it). And the other is TripAdvisor. I have no idea what my TripAdvisor password is myself!

Last edited by Richard W; 24 September 2018 at 05:52 PM.
Old 24 September 2018, 05:45 PM

Somewhat related I've noticed that I can't logout of my gmail .
Old 24 September 2018, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
Google must have remembered your password at some point in the past, though, in order to populate the password field on the new Chromebook. So if you thought you'd turned off the thing that made Google save your passwords, it doesn't seem to have worked... unless you turned it off after you'd already allowed it to remember that one?
Yes, exactly. I had been using that feature, then I disabled it. On the big laptop, not on the Chrome laptop.
Old 24 September 2018, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Had you used your snopes password on the chromebook before you lost the password, though?

If so, I withdraw my grumble. If not, I don't see how the chromebook got the password in the first place, unless Google had saved it during the time when you were telling it not to.
Old 24 September 2018, 06:26 PM

So do the pundits on Fox news really believe there is a "deep state" or are they just enjoying stirring the pot and giving the President excuses for his outrageous behavior?
Old 24 September 2018, 06:40 PM

Rule #1 for Faux News: Don't think about Faux News.

For 75-90% of their commentators, I think they are in it simply for the money / power / poops and giggles. IOW, they don't believe any of what they spew, they do it because it makes them feel good. Note how quickly they can shift gears from talking about how we've always been at war with Eastasia to how we've always been at war with Oceania once Trump tweets about our war with Oceania.
Old 24 September 2018, 07:03 PM

Baseball

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
Rule #1 for Faux News: Don't think about Faux News.

For 75-90% of their commentators, I think they are in it simply for the money / power / poops and giggles. IOW, they don't believe any of what they spew, they do it because it makes them feel good. Note how quickly they can shift gears from talking about how we've always been at war with Eastasia to how we've always been at war with Oceania once Trump tweets about our war with Oceania.
That is very astute. I heard one person once describe FOX as being like pro wrestling.

-professional setting and production values
-kinda looks like what the actual news is doing
- over the top caricatures
- flamboyant personality
- drama at every turn
- the evil character is the one its fans love

I watch a fair amount of pro wrestling (a guilty pleasure of mine) and I know it is fake. It's entertainment. And when I look at FOX News that way, I see it in a far better light. The O'Reilly's and the Coulters don't bother me that much.

That is why I am so annoyed at the politicians, because I can't see them in a pro wrestling role.
Old 24 September 2018, 07:07 PM

So Faux News is kayfabe* news?

The last part should be easy since the most news-making politician did star in a pro wrestling role.

ETA: * Kayfabe to the people who work there. Not sure most people watching know that.
Old 24 September 2018, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
So do the pundits on Fox news really believe there is a "deep state" or are they just enjoying stirring the pot and giving the President excuses for his outrageous behavior?
I think what they call the "deep state" is in reality just civil servants making an honest effort to do the jobs they were hired to do.

For example, a few weeks ago This American Life shared some excerpts from an email chain between staffers in various government departments regarding canceling Temporary Protected Status for immigrants from Sudan. As part of the process a couple of staffers wrote a report about the current conditions in Sudan, that pretty much stated that the civil war is still ongoing there and it's not safe for people to return there. A high up Trump appointee asked them to change the report to make the conditions seem more positive so they could justify canceling the protected status of Sudanese immigrants and deport them. They pushed back and said that the conditions in Sudan are what they are. A Trump supporter would probably claim these staffers are part of the deep state trying to thwart his efforts to deport Sudanese immigrants. To anyone else they're just civil servants who wrote an honest report about what conditions are like in Sudan.