snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Old 24 July 2018, 04:29 AM

Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachlife! View Post
They are very similar and the differences are slight to someone not following open wheel racing.....
You are right, they DO look similar to each other. DW sees virtually no difference between the two.

The way I explain it to non-fans is that the drive trains are quite a bit different, with F1 using a V6 hybrid. Indycar uses a slight larger V6 with no hybrid. Both use twin turbos.

Most people, even non-car folks, know what the difference is between hybrid and non-hybrid these days so I rarely need to go into any detail about that.
Old 24 July 2018, 02:00 PM

And this year, the aero wings, etc in F! look positively rococo. I appreciate the halos on this year's cars, a far cry from the days when driver's heads stuck out of the cockpits, although too late to have saved a number of lives like Ayrton Senna or Henry Surtees.
I thought the German GP was pretty good, with Hamilton slicing through the field with an obviously faster car and drivers trying to get by on tires whose grip was going, which I think contributed to Vettel's crash.
Mercedes and Ferrari seem to be capable of making good cars and sometimes good strategy decisions. I like Ferrari, but I am rooting for Hamilton who seems to get the most out of his car.

Ali
Old 24 July 2018, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRocket View Post
You are right, they DO look similar to each other. DW sees virtually no difference between the two.

The way I explain it to non-fans is that the drive trains are quite a bit different, with F1 using a V6 hybrid. Indycar uses a slight larger V6 with no hybrid. Both use twin turbos.

Most people, even non-car folks, know what the difference is between hybrid and non-hybrid these days so I rarely need to go into any detail about that.
F1 power units do not have twin turbos.

They do however have use of power deployment to spin up the turbo to reduce turbo lag. Heat from the turbo is also harvested to charge the batteries. (MGU-H)

Energy from the braking force is also harvested (MGU-K)

The harvested energy is then deployed in an almighty thump, boosting the overall output of the power unit by over 160bhp.

The power units are amazing, itís just a shame that they donít sound particularly exciting, compared to the engines of old.

Here is a fact sheet from Mercedes but take some of those numbers with a pinch of salt... there has been some development since this diagram was produced.

http://www.mercedes-amg-hpp.com/form...engine-facts/#
Old 24 July 2018, 09:51 PM

Jolly Roger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Off View Post
The power units are amazing, itís just a shame that they donít sound particularly exciting, compared to the engines of old...[/url]
As much as I know I've donated much of my hearing to it, I love the sound of Indycars. Last year at the Belle Isle Grand Prix, in Detroit, I stayed at an old hotel right across the water from the track. We had our windows open and woke up to the sound of practice on Sunday morning. While most people might be annoyed, it was an awesome way to wake for me.

The first year I took my daughters to the Indy 500 they were in elementary school. They cried from the sound. We bought them earplugs, but it never occurred to me that it was that loud until I saw their reaction.
Old 25 July 2018, 10:43 AM

Indeed. the sound of a modern F1 power unit is alien and otherworldy that is pretty impressive. But I do like the old screaming v10 sounds from the 90ís

The second best mechanical sound in the world however, it a GTE or GT3 Corvette at full chat going round Le Mans. Once you hear it you will never go back!
Old 24 August 2018, 04:38 PM

Anybody see the Robert Wikens crash at Pocono last week? I was at the race, it was such a horrific and scary accident. Its a miracle he's alive.
Old 24 August 2018, 08:13 PM

I have seen footage of it. The worst is the onboard from the other car, it missed his head by only a few inches. Terrifying.
Old 25 August 2018, 02:14 PM

Spa qualifying on right now.