snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Rantidote

Old 15 September 2018, 03:40 AM

Tsk, Tsk Things you shouldn't have to tell people

Continuing on from the previous thread ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter
I've gotten the same letter three times because I kept trying to get the post office to return it to the sender but instead they redelivered it to me.
I always write "NOT AT THIS ADDRESS RETURN TO SENDER" in big letters across the envelope and cross out my address if I get mail for a previous tenant.
Old 15 September 2018, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutter Monkey View Post
Continuing on from the previous thread ...

I always write "NOT AT THIS ADDRESS RETURN TO SENDER" in big letters across the envelope and cross out my address if I get mail for a previous tenant.
Cross out any bar codes on the letter, as these are used to direct it, and it will keep reading the same codes again. It will force it to be read by a human again.
Old 15 September 2018, 05:42 AM

Eventually it stopped coming back. These days I only get junk mail addressed to my apartment's former resident, and I just toss it.
Old 15 September 2018, 01:44 PM

We used to live in a house where the previous owner's husband had died fifteen years earlier. All the time we lived in that house we still got mail addressed to him. Once you're on a mailing list, you're on a mailing list! I wonder if now in the days of email if that kind of thing has lessened any.
Old 15 September 2018, 09:42 PM

10-15 years after we had bought our house back in Sachse Texas, I started to get requests for money from the Republican party addressed to the previous owner. Since this included a postage paid return envelope, I filled the envelope to capacity with other junk mail and returned it.
Old 16 September 2018, 12:58 AM

We bought our house in 2005, and up until last year we got the tax bill for the sellers new property, every year. Luckily they are people we know, so we forward the bill to them. However just today I got some mail for a business they own.
Old 17 September 2018, 03:41 PM

At our previous apartment, we would get parking tickets for the previous tenant, from all over southern Ontario. And statements of unpaid parking tickets and overdue notices for unpaid parking tickets. Always returned to sender.

And then we got a notice for renewal of his car registration. Soon after the parking tickets stopped coming. I can't imagine how much the guy would have had to pay in overdue tickets in order to renew his registration. At the very least, it forced him to change his address.
Old 17 September 2018, 05:22 PM

No the Soon-Yi Allen story does not "prove" that Woody Allen was right and Mia Farrow is a bitch . All it proves is that everyone has their own story and are entitled to tell that story. Of course the coincidence that she finally broke her silence right around the time her husband finally stopped getting people to pay him to make movies is purely coincidental.
Old 18 September 2018, 02:45 AM

Mouse

Iíd ask, but I really shouldnít ask questions Iím scared to know the answers to. No matter how many times I keep doing it.
Old 18 September 2018, 03:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
Of course the coincidence that she finally broke her silence right around the time her husband finally stopped getting people to pay him to make movies is purely coincidental.
No, sheís spoken out before saying that Mia Farrow was an abusive mother. Some children in the family agree with her and some donít. But God forbid someone claim they were abused if you find the timing suspect.
Old 18 September 2018, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
No, she’s spoken out before saying that Mia Farrow was an abusive mother. Some children in the family agree with her and some don’t. But God forbid someone claim they were abused if you find the timing suspect.
She's never penned a "Mommy Dearest" before. I don't think the timing is a coincidence. You, of course, are free to conclude otherwise. As to the children of the family, only two have ever come forward accusing their mother of anything, the rest of the children have always been supportive. Again that proves nothing - all children experience childhood differently. Including Dylan Farrow. Who also has always spoken up about the abuse she claimed to experience - and did not start doing it in light of the metoo movement, despite the snide claims in this article. Again an article that was written after actors who have worked with Allen finally started distancing themselves from him - and after he failed to get backing for a film. He and his friends would appear to blame the metoo movement for that. But, yeah, coincidence.
Old 20 September 2018, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
She's never penned a "Mommy Dearest" before. I don't think the timing is a coincidence. You, of course, are free to conclude otherwise. As to the children of the family, only two have ever come forward accusing their mother of anything.
I donít conclude otherwise since I donít conclude anything. I have no idea what happened. But the defense that only two of her children a cussed her of horrible abuse makes me wonder if youíre even serious here. Usually when two of your kids accuse you of abuse thatís something we take seriously, not something we dismiss based on denominators. (Well, only two of her numerous kids...)

But honestly your assured comments that itís all about money and canít be really is pretty disgusting.
Old 20 September 2018, 05:23 PM

No

You put one of your campaign ads in the middle of a missing person report, local blogger?! What part of tacky do you not get?
Old 20 September 2018, 06:19 PM

Glasses

The part that starts with a T?

Seaboe
Old 21 September 2018, 07:03 AM

Bacon

If you've been racking up public transport fines for traveling without a valid ticket for nine years and just plain ignoring the many many letters they've been sending you all this time (pretty much all of them offering options for payment plans) then you really don't get to play the victim when the government seizes that money from your account. I bet a bunch of those letters you threw into the bin without opening were warning you this was about to happen.

(The poor guy has been having a really really hard time lately and just got kicked out of his house by the landlord along with a bunch of other problems so I can't say any of this stuff to his face, he was massively stressed out even before this.)
Old 21 September 2018, 02:19 PM

Glasses

It never ceases to amaze me how people who ignore travel fees (in Seattle, it's bridge tolls), plus all the correspondence about them, have the audacity to claim how terribly unfair it all is when the hammer comes crashing down on their behavior.

Your friend at least has mega-stress as an excuse.

Seaboe
Old 21 September 2018, 03:27 PM

That would be my ex-wife. Before I met her, in college, she had decided that she didn't care for the schools parking policies and just parked where she wanted and thought she was being cool tossing the parking tickets. I didn't know this until after we were married when they issued a bench warrant against her for $4000 in tickets and fines.
Old 21 September 2018, 03:37 PM

Sounds like the husband of a friend of mine who didn't file his taxes for years because he figured he didn't owe much and "they'd" never notice. Guess what? Eventually "they" did! And not much owing per year added up to a tidy little sum.
Old 21 September 2018, 03:59 PM

Judge

I've probably mentioned it before but one of my previous housemates refused to buy a $40 annual parking pass so he could park in the street outside our house and just kept throwing the parking fines and the infringements letters in the bin. I warned him that they'd tow the car one day or issue him with a court summons and apparently his plan was that he'd just explain his side of things in courte and the judge would of course agree with him and it'd all work out.

We lost contact after he moved out so I never got to hear the end of the story.
Old 23 September 2018, 10:19 AM

Whalephant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachlife! View Post
That would be my ex-wife. Before I met her, in college, she had decided that she didn't care for the schools parking policies and just parked where she wanted and thought she was being cool tossing the parking tickets. I didn't know this until after we were married when they issued a bench warrant against her for $4000 in tickets and fines.
When I worked at Taco Bell it was on a pedestrian mall with limited access for work/apartment dweller cars. We rented our spots in a 15 spot or so parking lot as did everyone else who parked there. Except for one gal from Chicago who was renting and apartment and apparently felt she was above paying for parking. Well, the owner had given the police department written permission to let us call the police on unauthorized parkers and get them ticketed so we did.

We didn't realise it, but Chicago gal just ignored her parking tickets. Until a cop noticed she had never paid any fines for two semesters.

So they towed her.

We all giggled when she had a meltdown. We outright laughed when we found out she'd faked paperwork to get her car out of the impound lot, got caught, and went to jail for something like 10 days.