snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Rantidote

Old 19 December 2018, 02:31 AM

I'm not trying to make any point about it. I'm just wondering where you got the idea that the Catholic church has always had (mainly? only?) pacifist teachings. I suppose I was just trying to find a nice way of saying 'cite please.'
Old 19 December 2018, 03:16 PM

ganzfeld, I'm not sure where to direct you to look within the large number books, sermons, etc. I will not direct you to the Bible or the Koran for both are subject to many, many interpretations all of which say the person doing the interpreting is correct and everyone else is wrong. Most religions teach god is love but then it all seems to come out as love me or else.
Old 19 December 2018, 11:06 PM

Reading

I guess you misunderstand my question. I was just asking about your claim about the history of the teachings of the church, nothing about other religions or churches, etc.

I just wondered where you got the idea that they've "always been pacific". (I'm not sure what that means but I guess that's part of what I'm asking.)

I think if most people were asked about the historical "teachings" of the church they would point to teachings such as those of Aquinas. What do you mean by the teachings within the church?
Old 19 December 2018, 11:32 PM

Aquinas is one of the many you could look at. Also try Francis of Assisi.

ETA: Look at the religious songs. "Jesus loves me" comes to mind.
Old 19 December 2018, 11:41 PM

I wonder if there might be two Aquinases. It seems unlikely. Are we talking about the same who wrote this?
Quote:
Wherefore if forgers of money and other evil-doers are forewith condemned to death by the secular authority, much more reason is there for heretics, as soon as they are convicted of heresy, to be not only excommunicated, but even put to death.
(ETA Not that he's advocating death to heretics here but he ends up in this argument with himself as equivocal. Definitely nothing close to pacific or even indifferent.)

Last edited by ganzfeld; 20 December 2018 at 12:10 AM.
Old 19 December 2018, 11:46 PM

Skull

Apparently, Wikipedia has an article on the "thoughts of Thomas Aquinas" (yes, THE Thomas Aquinas) and it includes a lengthy summary of his views on the death penalty. I’ll grant it’s not the finest wiki out there, but it does cite sufficiently credible sources to back up the claim that Aquinas was in favor of the DP, at least within the constraints ofhistime, as a matter of necessity/practicality.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Though...#Death_penalty

And none of this seems out of line with what’s allowed by scripture, even commanded by god.
Old 20 December 2018, 12:09 AM

The Francis issue is a bit more difficult but I think people see him more as a pacifist in the modern sense because he was a soldier who (the story says - none of this has much if anything to do with Catholic teachings) risked his life to bring about an armistice and also talked about peace in some other stories about him... Anyway, he had very little influence on the first half of the history of the church because he had not been born yet. He wasn't some kind of absolute pacifist or, at the very least we can't say for sure whether he was, either in the oldest stories or in his teaching. It's just kind of a legend that has grown over the past how ever many centuries it's been, starting the century after he lived.

The "peace" of "his" famous prayer, for example, doesn't even come from that far back. It's a 20th century invention, kind of like a "Lincoln said" on the Internet of 1912.

In any case, I don't think there's any way to misconstrue what we know of his life or legend as being representative of the history of Catholic teachings.
Old 20 December 2018, 02:29 AM

I don't get the song reference. The song itself doesn't say anything about that kind of peace. It's not by anyone related to the church. It's by a woman who wrote hymns for soldiers and was buried at the US Military Academy. I don't know if she was (conversely) some kind of pacifist or what any of this has to do with the church teachings. So...
Old 23 December 2018, 05:09 AM

If your first reaction to thinking about a massage parlor is to speculate about whether or not it's a front for a prostitution ring because it's run by someone who's Asian, you're being racist.
Old 23 December 2018, 11:46 AM

Japan

Been talking to an American sailor lately?
Old 23 December 2018, 03:07 PM

No, my mom. There was an Asian massage parlor in town that I always passed on my way to work- it seems to have packed up and closed Friday.
Old 26 December 2018, 12:32 PM

Whalephant

The third party website mentions the resort fee before you pay. You were told about it at check-in. Your confirmation email mentions it. I'm not going to waive it just because "if we have to pay it we're going to write a negative review!!"
Old 26 December 2018, 04:31 PM

Shout

To the photo lab that digitized my father's old slides : What part of "four copies" did you not understand ? Will I have to do the job myself ? Or did the guy who gave me my order this monday forget the 33 CD-ROM that I miss right now ? I'm not really happy here.
Old 29 December 2018, 01:40 AM

Stainless steel is not a non-stick surface. Perhaps you should educate yourself about different types of cookware before buying a high end stainless steel pan and then giving it a one star review because food sticks to it.

ETA: Also, having received a very similar pan for Christmas (the slightly less expensive Black series) I can say the stuff that sticks comes right off when you deglaze it with some kind of liquid.

Last edited by WildaBeast; 29 December 2018 at 02:06 AM.
Old 31 December 2018, 10:54 AM

Bonsai Kitten

If there's ants crawling all over the cat's food bowl then maybe rinse it with water or something. Don't spray poison all over the cat's food and walk away, leaving it like that.
Old 31 December 2018, 02:02 PM

GM, were you able to remove the dish and tell them they might have killed the cat?
Old 31 December 2018, 02:59 PM

Bonsai Kitten

Is the cat okay? Cats?
Old 31 December 2018, 04:30 PM

I had to retype this post three times before I got the profanity out.

GM, is this the same roommate who's caused all the other issues you've mentioned here?

Because seriously, this is time to consider evicting them and finding someone less negligent to live with.
Old 01 January 2019, 02:06 AM

I'm not sure who it was. There were a few different people in the house yesterday for new year's, it could have been one of them.

I'm pretty sure the cat would have smelled something wrong and wouldn't have eaten the food but I'm still angry.
Old 01 January 2019, 03:06 PM

GM, I would hunt through the house for every container of insecticide and get it all out of there; or locked into a container that only you have the key to.

The idiot might spray the cat next time, trying to get rid of a flea or something.