snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Old 21 February 2019, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
I thought the VW Rabbit was the equivalent of the VW Golf here (Wikipedia seems to agree), but that was never a pickup so far as I know... although if there was a pickup variant (how would you make a pickup variant of a small hatchback?) then Caddy would be a good name for it.
I think a pickup version of the old VW Polo was a thing at some point in the past.
Old 23 February 2019, 12:20 PM

I don't know if there was a car event or something nearby, but today I saw some sort of vintage hot-rod that I can only describe as a "banger"; I have no idea what exactly it was but it was sort of a dark grey or black box on high wheels and looked as though it probably dated from the early 1930s or before. (And possibly had been modified quite a bit at some point). It had California license plates, although I'm not sure if they were real California plates, or UK plates made up as though they were California plates (which would technically be illegal, I think, but which is the sort of thing that people do sometimes and which you're unlikely to get done for).

Two cars behind it there was a sporty looking electric blue Chevy from probably the 1970s. I'm not sure which model. (The sort that looks a bit like a Pontiac Firebird Trans-Am).

(eta) It just occurred to me that a "sporty looking Chevy" should be a Corvette, but I don't think it was, as the '70s one would be the "Stingray" sort and it wasn't one of those - unless I'm wrong about its age or something. Maybe it wasn't a Chevy, but one of my friends who was with me thought it was, and I thought it had a Chevy badge too...

Last edited by Richard W; 23 February 2019 at 12:44 PM.
Old 23 February 2019, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
Two cars behind it there was a sporty looking electric blue Chevy from probably the 1970s. I'm not sure which model. (The sort that looks a bit like a Pontiac Firebird Trans-Am).
That sounds like a Camaro. Did it look something like this?

Old 23 February 2019, 10:45 PM

Yes, that looks right. I only saw it as it went past, so mostly from behind.
Old 25 February 2019, 02:04 PM

Glasses

Corvette, Camaro, what's a few differing letters.

Seeing that Stingray has apparently cursed me. I haven't seen any interesting cars since. Oh, except a very beat up Dodge Dakota.

Seaboe
Old 26 February 2019, 12:35 PM

Saw a fine looking 1950s era Chevy in a gas station parking lot this past Sunday night.
Old 26 February 2019, 02:05 PM

Glasses

Last night, during my commute home, what should've been a prosaic little sedan (I couldn't even tell you the make or model, it was that nondescript) merged onto the road slightly ahead of me and went whipping off into the distance.

It wasn't prosaic or nondescript in reality because it was painted in a jungle camouflage pattern. I'm not sure where you could take a car like that to have the camouflage actually hide the car--it's sure not the middle of Seattle.

Seaboe
Old 26 February 2019, 05:34 PM

Ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post

It wasn't prosaic or nondescript in reality because it was painted in a jungle camouflage pattern. I'm not sure where you could take a car like that to have the camouflage actually hide the car--it's sure not the middle of Seattle.

Seaboe
The Amazon?
Such a car would stick out like a sore thumb around here as well.
Old 26 February 2019, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
I'm not sure where you could take a car like that to have the camouflage actually hide the car--it's sure not the middle of Seattle.

Seaboe
Someone from rural Washington/Oregon who ventured into the city?
Old 09 March 2019, 09:34 PM

Someone took advantage of today's balmy 30-something temperature and brought out their R8 convertible. (Top up - it wasn't that balmy.)
Old 09 March 2019, 10:27 PM

A BMW i8 convertable with a wrap of contrasting matte black and luminous lemon yellow stripes..

It was extremely gaudy but on balance, I think I liked it!

ETA I am pretty sure this is the specific car... https://www.google.com/search?q=bmw+...EXjEyO10x7H-dM
Old 10 March 2019, 09:01 AM

I saw an MGC GT a few days ago, which is an MGB variant from the late '60s. (I know it was an MGC GT because it said MGC GT on the back, not because I'm an expert at spotting subtle differences in different models of MG, as is probably obvious...!)

These days I have been occasionally seeing things that are sort of vaguely interesting but not interesting enough that I actually remember them to post. Not very much that's properly interesting though. That MGC is the only thing I can actually remember, since the Camaro and that vintage thing a couple of weeks ago.
Old 11 March 2019, 12:59 AM

After weeks of rainy, chilly weather I took advantage of the sunny and (relatively) warm day to go for a bike ride this afternoon. It seems like lots of other people used took advantage of the weather to bring out their classic cars, because I saw a plethora of old, interesting cars today.

First, not far from my house someone was selling their 1981 Buick Riviera (the "for sale" sign is in the back window). It's not quite in showroom condition, but it's pretty nice for a nearly 40 year old car.

1981 Riviera by mtwilda, on Flickr

Then later I saw a pristine looking mid to late 1960s car that I couldn't quite identify. It looked like a GM product to me, though. I thought it was an Impala at first but after looking at some pictures that wasn't it. I'm thinking maybe a Buick.

Then following that, an equally pristine looking late 1980s or early 1990s Ford Crown Victoria, painted black. If someone was producing a period drama set in that era and needed an unmarked police car, that car would have been perfect.

Then a Chevelle that had been hot-rodded. Bah. Those are a dime a dozen. A purely stock one would have been more interesting.

After leaving the bike path and heading back towards home, riding down residential streets through a more working class part of town, I spotted this truck parked in an alley.

GMC truck by mtwilda, on Flickr

I'm guessing early 1950s?

I also saw I think a total of five classic VW Beetles, which wasn't that interesting as those are still fairly common and popular with collectors. One of them, however, stood out due to the... lets say "patina".

VW 1300 by mtwilda, on Flickr

It's got a current registration sticker, so it appears someone is still using this car for transportation. The fact that it's old enough to be exempt from California's emissions rules probably makes it easy to register.

VW 1300 by mtwilda, on Flickr

Directly across the street from the VW was this old Jeep Wagoneer. I'm not quite sure of the year since they made these from 1963 all the way to 1991 with only changes to the grille and taillights. I'm thinking it's probably late 1960s or early 1970s.

Wagoneer by mtwilda, on Flickr

When did Jeep use this emblem?

Wagoneer by mtwilda, on Flickr
Old 11 March 2019, 11:15 AM

Driver

Saw a tractor trailer making a U-turn this morning. It's amazing that such a large vehicle is even capable of making a U-turn! Guess that's why truckers make the big bucks.
Old 11 March 2019, 02:29 PM

Two classic 1960's VW Microbuses within 3/4 mile of each other. I often see the one that looks like this one* on my way in to work, but just before that one I saw another that looked just like it except it was blue.

* The windscreen vents were closed, it may be Arizona, but it is still too chilly to have them open in the mornings.
Old 11 March 2019, 04:22 PM

I forgot to mention in that long list that I also saw a Saturn Astra yesterday. They were European Opel Astras that GM imported to the US and sold as Saturns here for just two model years before axing the Saturn brand, and they didn't sell all that well in part because Saturn's future was uncertain even then. I sort of considered buying one the last time I was used car shopping, but I made the safe choice and ended up buying a Corolla instead. I've heard parts for the Astra are starting to become scarce in the US, so I probably made the right choice.
Old 12 March 2019, 01:20 AM

That’s the only Bug I know the exact model year(1967–the first year for the upright headlights, and the last year of that style of bumpers).
Old 12 March 2019, 04:12 AM

I was thinking it was a 1966 -- from what little research I've done that was the only year they had that "1300" badge in the US. The following year the 1500 cc engine became the standard engine in the US (although it was still offered in other countries, particularly those where cars were taxed based on engine size). From the looks of it the headlights don't match, so I wonder if at some point in the past one of the headlights, or an entire fender, was replaced with one from a newer bug.
Old 13 March 2019, 02:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
Then later I saw a pristine looking mid to late 1960s car that I couldn't quite identify. It looked like a GM product to me, though. I thought it was an Impala at first but after looking at some pictures that wasn't it. I'm thinking maybe a Buick.
I now think this unidentified car was coincidentally also a Buick Riviera, the 1963-65 generation. It looked very much like this one, in fact, same color even.
Old 13 March 2019, 02:22 PM

Glasses

This morning, in addition to seeing two Chevy Vans parked side by side, I saw another camouflaged car! Despite the fact it was before sunrise, I know it was a different car because the first one was a sedan, and this was a hatchback.

Seaboe