snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Rantidote

Old 31 August 2018, 05:17 PM

Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by UEL View Post
Hopefully, the pundits have it right and this is all braggadocio and the people in the negotiations are actually negotiating in good faith.

Speaking of which, I heard an interview on NPR this morning regarding the agreement the US made with Mexico. According to the guest, most of what was agreed to was simply minor tweaks to the original NAFTA agreement, with some updates for trade of digital goods and stuff like that. And much of the agreement appears to have been taken directly from the TPP, which Trump says is bad, but is apparently acceptable in this case.

https://www.npr.org/2018/08/31/64360...e-negotiations

So hopefully that's what will happen with Canada as well -- negotiators will agree to some minor updates to NAFTA, and Trump will brag about what a great deal he made for America.
Old 31 August 2018, 06:47 PM

Nothing Trump-related is ever in good faith. He's already shown that he won't respect treaties if he doesn't feel like it (in the event that he understands what one is in the first place).
Old 31 August 2018, 07:17 PM

From that article: [ETA: article in the Star posted on the previous page]

Quote:
I can’t kill these people,” he said of the Canadian government.
-- hey, a rare case of Trump acknowledging reality!

Wonder who he does expect to deal with by killing them, though?
Old 31 August 2018, 07:25 PM

No

There may be several answers to that question, mostly in jest, but none of them funny.
Old 01 September 2018, 02:07 PM

Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
From that article: [ETA: article in the Star posted on the previous page]

-- hey, a rare case of Trump acknowledging reality!

Wonder who he does expect to deal with by killing them, though?
I loathed Trump before, now I've gone beyond loathing. He's the schoolyard bully picking on the kid with glasses. He thinks Canada is weak and we can be pushed around. I'm proud of the way our government has been handling this ignorant ass and I am hopeful they will outlast him.
Old 01 September 2018, 03:17 PM

So am I, Sue. So am I.
Old 01 September 2018, 07:29 PM

I'm sure at least part of the reason for Trump's latest nastiness directed at Canada is because people are paying attention to the passing of McCain and aren't as focused on him. Total narcissist "Pay attention to meeeeeeee!"
Old 03 September 2018, 02:48 AM

Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
I loathed Trump before, now I've gone beyond loathing. He's the schoolyard bully picking on the kid with glasses. He thinks Canada is weak and we can be pushed around. I'm proud of the way our government has been handling this ignorant ass and I am hopeful they will outlast him.
Trump and his supporters are basically the kids who spend all their time on the playground, kicking dust into the eyes of the other kids, but as soon as someone kicks some dust back, they go, “I’m telling!” and run bawling to the playground monitor.

Though as I’ve said before, I wonder how much of stuff in Canada isn’t part of some long running revenge scheme. Rather than go with military options, you guys decided to go with “Living well is life’s best revenge.” Hence why you guys have Justin Trudeau in power who, in addition to being competent, is also very easy on the eyes, and you have government-run healthcare that :gasps: makes it so everyone, even the poor, can get necessary treatments and procedures without going so deep into debt, there’s pretty much no way out.

Meanwhile the US is being run by a rancid, bigoted Oompa-loompa who claims to long for the 50s but in all likelihood, craves a return to the Gilded Age, and wants to make our piecemeal, expensive, inefficient system of healthcare even worse.

Gotta say, well-played, you polite bastards. Now I have to ask: why? Is this about all those hippies we sent up there during The Vietnam War?
Old 03 September 2018, 03:15 AM

It's simple Mouse. Canada stayed with the UK until they were properly civilised. We bailed before we were ready.
Old 03 September 2018, 05:05 AM

France

“America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.” Oscar Wilde.
Old 03 September 2018, 03:16 PM

I have wondered, from time to time, why my grandparents were so determined to move to the United States instead of staying in Canada; in particular because Canada was willing to take them in straight from a Polish ghetto, when the United States wouldn't (but you could, at the time, get in from Canada.)

Of course, if they'd stayed in Canada, I wouldn't be here wondering about anything, as my parents almost certainly wouldn't have met; they'd each have had different kids (if any) with different people. But I'm not of the school of thought which amounts to 'the entire universe must have been aiming at producing MEEEEE'; that's not an argument that counts.
Old 03 September 2018, 06:32 PM

America, Australia, and New Zealand are all England's kids. England didn't pay enough attention to America when he was little, so he acts out for attention.

Canada was adopted from France as a teenager and consequently was mostly well adjusted before becoming part of the family.