snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Social Studies

Old 10 March 2016, 09:17 PM

Default Trump Supporter Who Punched Protester: 'Next Time, We Might Have To Kill Him'

Quote:
The Trump supporter who was filmed sucker punching a protester during Wednesday’s rally in North Carolina said: "Next time, we might have to kill him."

http://www.insideedition.com/headlin...ve-to-kill-him
Old 10 March 2016, 10:47 PM

I originally misread the thread title as a quote from Trump himself -- and it would not have surprised me if that had been the case.
Old 10 March 2016, 10:52 PM

United States

He wasn't "acting like an American", so attacking and later threatening to kill him is perfectly acceptable behavior. At least, to the attacker.
Old 10 March 2016, 11:09 PM

This is all so crazy...Trump was here in my town a few days ago and the few peaceful protestors who were at the rally had to be given police protection because of threats against them. This is a town of barely 10,000 people and about 3000 were in the auditorium and another estimated 3000 were outside of it listening to him over loudspeakers. From what I heard, he threw out at least two people who were in the audience (I suspect at least one was a plant) and whipped the crowd into a frenzy. I overheard a snippet of his screed on someone's cellphone and it was nothing but rambling nonsense designed to get applause and feed his ego. He was talking about something and then suddenly threw in, "Oh, and our vets--we gotta take care of our vets!" to wild applause and then went back to whatever unrelated topic he was talking about. The Hitler comparisons have been overused and I want to believe that there's no way he could ever implement any of his wild ideas on the off chance that he becomes president, but the way he incites his followers to violence scares the life out of me.
Old 10 March 2016, 11:09 PM

Yup, there's nothing less American than cussing some a-hole out.
Old 11 March 2016, 12:27 AM

The problem that frightens me is not that Donald Trump could be president--because I cannot, honestly, envision that at all, and I prefer that calm certainty even if it's an illusion--but that he's let the lunatic fringe discover themselves and bolstered their crazy.

Some say he also encourages mobs to behave in ways individuals never would. I'm not sure about that.

He's getting roughly 30% of the Republican vote, the other 70% of which seems to be anti-Trump more than for someone, and that's really not enough of the populace for me to worry that he'd be elected to office. But it is enough for me to worry about widespread civil unrest for a really long time, and at the rate he's going I wonder if he might actually try to start a civil war.
Old 11 March 2016, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avril View Post
But it is enough for me to worry about widespread civil unrest for a really long time, and at the rate he's going I wonder if he might actually try to start a civil war.
Or, in the best case, he and his followers might leave the country.
Old 11 March 2016, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coughdrops View Post
Or, in the best case, he and his followers might leave the country.
And who do you suggest takes them?
Old 11 March 2016, 11:58 AM

Royalty

Trump has plenty of money, why doesn't he buy his own island and make himself Grand Poobah of it or something? "Mayor of Crazytown" has a nice ring to it, too.
Old 11 March 2016, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasla View Post
And who do you suggest takes them?
Antartica...

Also, I read somewhere that Canada has a really big desert island....
Old 11 March 2016, 12:20 PM

Ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avril View Post
He's getting roughly 30% of the Republican vote, the other 70% of which seems to be anti-Trump more than for someone, ...
2 quibbles with this; first the meaning of 'the Republican vote' - there has been a lot of crossover from the Dems this year. Not enough to ex-plain all of the Trump votes, but a substantial part of it. If you are just meaning 'the votes in the Republican primaries and caucuses' then I would agree, but I think a lot of those crossover votes are not people who would consider voting for any Republican in the general election, so if your meaning is 'the votes of people who consider themselves Republican' then I think it is inaccurate.

Second, if the 70% were only anti-Trump, then they would have coalesced around an alternate candidate - probably either Jeb, Rubio, or Kasich, maybe even Fiorina (I throw these names out based on the full field, not the winnowed field). The big problem is that each of the remaining candidates has their supporters and each of the remaining candidates wants the other 'not Trumps' to drop out and let him be the head-to-head choice. I think you are right that the voters who favor the remaining non-Trump candidates would go to other non-Trump candidates if their guy dropped out, but so long as their guy is in it, they will not gravitate to another candidate, even if he has a better chance of winning the nomination and/or the election. This game of chicken has them splitting the non-Trump vote farther into the primary season than they should have, hooping the other guys will drop out just in time for a win before catastrophe strikes. This allows Trump to pull out plurality after plurality despite being the most disliked candidate in the race.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alarm View Post
Also, I read somewhere that Canada has a really big desert island....
It was proposed, but the Trumpians will have none of it.*

*Nunavut
Old 11 March 2016, 12:28 PM

The Canadians probably wouldn't, either.
Old 11 March 2016, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Turtle Named Mack View Post
It was proposed, but the Trumpians will have none of it.*

*Nunavut
Ooh, who's a clever one, now? Well done!
Old 11 March 2016, 02:30 PM

Baffining... I'm completely baffined at that pun...
Old 11 March 2016, 02:33 PM

I am pleased to know it was walrus-ceived.
Old 11 March 2016, 03:27 PM

I cannot (Polar) bear these puns!

Old 11 March 2016, 03:42 PM

I did not want to be too orcane.
Old 11 March 2016, 03:55 PM

This punning is totally disrupting the floe of the thread.
Old 12 March 2016, 12:25 AM

Mouse

OP, who started the post that launched all the puns, are we supposed to be threatened by the idea of all the selfish, bigoted assholes finally going through with their numerous threats to take their ball and go home? Because it always rings about as true as a six-year-old holding his breath or threatening to run away from home unless Mommy buys that toy. We all know it's not going to happen, but if it did, we'll indulge in a little celebration/dancing (I lean towards this song but if y'all know of something more current that will work better, feel free to make suggestions), and take advantage to get shit done, now that the a-holes are gone. The people who feel like the US government should do something besides keep women from getting birth control and killing brown people, will finally get a government that actually does something, and as for the a-holes, I see it playing out like this.

Though sadly enough, hate to be the Debby Downer, but people assaulting others over politics, is sadly very American. Though I do share the dismay in that you kind of thought that we'd advanced somewhat since 1856.
Old 12 March 2016, 08:01 AM

Police Trump supporter charged after sucker-punching protester at North Carolina rally

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...y-videos-show/
Quote:
John McGraw, 78, was charged with assault and disorderly conduct in connection with the incident, Cumberland County Sheriff's Office spokesman Sean Swain told The Post on Thursday.

McGraw is due in court in April, Swain said. It was not immediately clear if he already has an attorney.
Brian