snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Rantidote

Closed Thread

Old 25 January 2016, 04:52 AM

Bang Head Things you shouldn't have to tell people

Since the old thread got locked.

The satellite TV signal has been down all day. I asked you twice if you wanted me to call the company. You said no both times. So it is really, really not appropriate for you to ask me to do so minutes after my shift has ended. Ask the person who's taking over for me- she's on duty and I'm not.
Old 25 January 2016, 09:28 AM

Whalephant

Tailgating is rude. Especially when the fast lane to the left of us is empty.
Old 27 January 2016, 09:03 PM

Suppose you're writing some code and you need a variable called "thread", but you make a typo and type "trhead". Which makes the most sense? 1) Fix the typo. 2) Just go with it and use the variable "trhead" throughout your code.

The correct answer is of course option 1. Guess which one the person who wrote this code I'm looking at went with?
Old 27 January 2016, 09:25 PM

I'm guessing you are looking at a find-and-replace typo?
Old 27 January 2016, 10:36 PM

Driver

It is legal for you do travel along the interstate at 50mph. Is it wise? No. I just about got rear-ended while I was trapped behind you before there was room in the left lane for me to go around you.

If you're THAT uncomfortable driving any faster than that, I strongly strongly suggest you start using back roads instead of the interstate. Trust me, you'll be much happier.

At lest you were in the RH lane. I'll give you that.
Old 27 January 2016, 11:08 PM

You've known you needed to have a meeting before the end of the month for at least 2 weeks now. Therefore, it is incredibly rude for you to wait until three days before the deadline and then expect that we will all jump to your schedule with only three day's notice.
Old 28 January 2016, 02:19 PM

Glasses

But...but...his calendar is clear, lavender blue. Of course then, yours must be, too.

Seaboe
Old 28 January 2016, 03:52 PM

Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRocket View Post
If you're THAT uncomfortable driving any faster than that, I strongly strongly suggest you start using back roads instead of the interstate. Trust me, you'll be much happier.

That's what my mother did for the last several years of her life. Despite all the development that's gone in this county over the decades, those back roads were still there and she knew 'em all. She just got uncomfortable with driving on the interstates. I admire people who know their driving limits.
Old 28 January 2016, 04:48 PM

Me too. Frightened drivers worry me.
Old 28 January 2016, 05:04 PM

Hello Kitty

Regarding the new Barbie line:

"22 eye colors, but only 4 body types?"

YES, BECAUSE PAINT IS CHEAP BUT MOLDS ARE EXPENSIVE. THAT'S HOW MANUFACTURING WORKS.
Old 28 January 2016, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavender blue View Post
You've known you needed to have a meeting before the end of the month for at least 2 weeks now. Therefore, it is incredibly rude for you to wait until three days before the deadline and then expect that we will all jump to your schedule with only three day's notice.
Update: the scheduling poll you posted is useless because all you ask is which days we can meet, and not what times on that day we are free. I cannot rearrange my schedule to meet whatever time you may pick, even if I can technically meet that day. Some things in my schedule cannot be moved, which is also true for the rest of the committee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
But...but...his calendar is clear, lavender blue. Of course then, yours must be, too.

Seaboe
I can do a certain amount of bending and rescheduling; however there are some commitments that I cannot move, particularly those that have to do with the classes I teach. He wants to meet early Monday, but I can't do that because I'm teaching class at that time. His next best time is Monday at 3pm, but one of the other members can't meet then because he's teaching class at that time. So now he's upset because he needs to meet by Monday and we're 'making it difficult' to schedule this meeting.
Old 28 January 2016, 06:15 PM

TY_Still_SHTTP: Doorways are for walking through, not for standing in.

ETA: When adding a word to a document glossary that has already been sorted into alphabetical order, insert the word where it actually belongs in that order. If you need help inserting a row in a Word table -- or understanding alphabetical order -- ask for it.

Last edited by Lainie; 28 January 2016 at 06:24 PM.
Old 28 January 2016, 07:36 PM

Glasses

Or, if for some reason it's too difficult to add it in the right place (i.e., you don't know how to add a row in the middle of the table), at least re-sort the table before you save it.

Seaboe
Old 28 January 2016, 07:47 PM

Odds are he doesn't know it's possible to sort a Word table, let alone know how to do it. Which would be fine, if he'd ask for help. Or, you know, Google it.
Old 29 January 2016, 05:34 PM

Today's Buckets comic strip seems to be quite relevent to this thread:

http://www.gocomics.com/thebuckets/2016/01/29

The punchline (certainly a TYSHTTP): If you don't fact-check what you write, you can't get mad when someone else does.
Old 29 January 2016, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
Me too. Frightened drivers worry me.
Un-frightened drivers worry me.
Old 29 January 2016, 07:57 PM

Makes sense, if you think being frightened -- as opposed to being cautious, or driving defensively -- makes a driver safer. I don't think it does.
Old 29 January 2016, 08:16 PM

If Jimmy means that drivers who are overly confident worry him more I'd have to agree. Timid drivers usually know their limits, or at least any nervous driver I've ever known certainly did! it's the over confident "no one else on the road knows how to drive" / "eat my dust" types that cause most of the trouble IMO.
Old 29 January 2016, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
Makes sense, if you think being frightened -- as opposed to being cautious, or driving defensively -- makes a driver safer. I don't think it does.
No I don't think that. But drivers that drive with absolutely zero regard for the intrinsic hazard of controlling a 4,000 lb car moving at 70 MPH scare the heck out'a me. The kind of person that'll change lanes in front of you going 70 MPH and leave less than a single car's length of space. Or that will weave through heavy traffic moving at high speed. Or that think that because they are driving a pickup truck that the quarter inch of ice on the road won't affect them.
Old 29 January 2016, 09:13 PM

But you can avoid all those things without being what I would describe as a "frightened driver." People do it all the time.

ETA: The timid drivers I've known have been distracted by their fear and reacted inappropriately to unexpected situations. I don't buy the idea that fear makes one think more clearly. And I'm not defending over-confident drivers. "Over-confident" and "not frightened" don't mean the same thing to me.
Closed Thread