snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Soapbox Derby

Old 02 August 2015, 03:14 AM

Default Obama is terrible because... Lt. Cmdr. Timothy White

So, I've seen this pop up a couple of times today:

What Obama is Doing to This Heroic Navy Officer from the Chattanooga Shooting Will Make Your Blood BOIL

Because I'm instantly skeptical of anything put out by a right-wing website covered in pop-ups and click ads, I went looking.

Looks like all of this comes from a post by great American Allen West based on a text message he says he got (unnamed and unsourced as far as I can tell). He does include a post from WesternJournalism.com that says:
"The Navy officer could face disciplinary action for violating policy about possessing a weapon on the facility that was supposed a gun-free zone.

The investigation into the attack is ongoing, and authorities will not know if White or the Marine hit Abdulazeez until an autopsy and a ballistics report have been completed."

Supposedly a report from "The Navy Times" indicates the Navy is pressing charges, but on first pass, I find no link to the story and the only think about Lt. Cmdr. White that shows up on TNT is a piece from July 24 that says only "Two guns belonging to service members were recovered at the scene, he said; shots were fired from at least one. It's unclear if the gunman was hit by one of those weapons, Reinhold said. The military will investigate whether the service members were authorized to have those weapons, he said."

So, from what I can tell... the Navy/NCIS/DOD is investigating the incident (as is expected) and included in that investigation is whether or not the two armed servicemen were authorized to have firearms in a "Gun-Free Zone" which could be an actual crime (which brings up the debate about how strict the Navy should be in regards to their sailors following the law... which is a whole thing by itself).
Unless West wants to actually cite hard information and not unnamed texted sources, there is nothing I see that is concrete yet.

And at any rate... tying Obama into this is pretty ridiculous.

Anybody have anything more substantial on this?
Old 03 August 2015, 03:13 AM

Read This!

http://m.snopes.com/2015/08/02/navy-commander-charged/