snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Social Studies

Old 12 May 2014, 10:29 PM

For everyone that counts. The US are a bunch of peanut butter eating sheeple. They're just sore because they never got into the deliciousness and wonder that is vegemite and have to eat something that is tasty instead.
Old 12 May 2014, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryM View Post
I stand corrected, though I'm still confident that you can't buy unicorn meat in Scotland (for some reason).
Oh, sure you can!
Old 12 May 2014, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimee Evilpixie View Post
Except for the millions of people in the US who enjoy it, I guess?
Masochists, every one!
Old 12 May 2014, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeptic View Post
No, to EVERYONE, peanut butter and jelly is gross.
Thank DOYC you explained that. I might have gone to my grave thinking I liked it.
Old 12 May 2014, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryM View Post
Ah, I see. I got side-tracked by the mention of Euros; like Chloe said, they aren't common here, so I thought they were specific to the joke somehow.
Sorry about that - I got confused over what exotic currency you quaint folk over there would be using.
Old 13 May 2014, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Yeah, I was wondering about this one. I take it the discount for buying Coke in bulk is larger than for most other things? Is the single can/12 pack price ratio greater in the US than other countries?
I'm wondering if they are comparing different sizes of soda or prices at different shops. I've only seen dollar cans of Coke when I was out in the boonies on fire assignment in spots with no competition to keep prices down. 20 oz bottles of Coke run somewhere around a dollar.
Old 13 May 2014, 02:59 AM

Quote:
Our rest areas.
What about them? That they exist? I know I've seen rest areas in Germany as well, so the US isn't the only country with them. Or the condition of them? That seems to vary a lot depending on what state you're in.

Quote:
The retail experience isn’t as fun as it is in India. They have personal shoppers because labor is cheap.
I found salespeople in India annoyingly pushy. I prefer to be able to just browse without someone constantly trying to sell me something. This may have been unique to "touristy" shops -- I suspect our bus driver got some sort of commission for bringing us to the one shop I'm thinking of, not to mention the salespeople themselves were probably paid on commission.

Quote:
Rich people are thin and well-maintained while poor people are fat. Even the Indian student knows that this is because cheap food is fatty and it’s “expensive to be healthy in America.”
That was something that struck my about India, how middle class Indians are pretty much the same size as Americans, but lower class people all were really thin.

Quote:
Toilets get clogged a lot because of the weird shape (u-bend).
I'll have to call this something I fins "weird" about other countries. I had no idea it was possible to have a toilet without a U-bend. I thought that was pretty much a necessity.

Quote:
Not eating the national animal. The example cited was by an Australian, who said “kangaroos are bloody delicious.”
Well if the national bird was the turkey like Ben Franklin is said to have wanted...
Old 13 May 2014, 03:31 AM

United States

I agree with the "very friendly" part. It can be uncomfortable if you're not used to it but it's usually sincere as well as warm.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esprise Me View Post
This surprises me. I've never been to Japan, but my experience with Japanese people here has never led me to expect rudeness [...]
Yeah, I don't know what they're on about. It just depends on where in the US or Japan you're talking about. Drivers in Osaka tend to be a little more pushy but driving in NYC is no lovefest either.

The OP is just a a collection of "stuff people have said about America on the Internet". So we can sum it up as, "People say some kind of interesting and some really stupid stuff on the Internet." It has nothing to do with actual opinions of the US.
Old 13 May 2014, 03:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
What about them? That they exist? I know I've seen rest areas in Germany as well, so the US isn't the only country with them. Or the condition of them? That seems to vary a lot depending on what state you're in.
Maybe it's the lack of facilities at rest areas. I don't think many other countries banned commercial services (like restaurants and gas stations) from rest areas to protect local businesses.
Old 13 May 2014, 03:45 AM

What country did that?
Old 13 May 2014, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cervus View Post
Jaywalking would probably be more considered an infraction or a violation than a crime in most areas, but it's one of those rules that varies from city to city, not mention state to state, and is usually so rarely enforced, it would be a WTF moment to receive a ticket for such a thing.
A while back a cop stood at a certain downtown intersection for the sole purpose of writing jaywalking tickets. They're about $90. In pedestrian-heavy areas, jaywalking traps are kind of like speed traps. They're mostly about revenue.

Another thing they do is to dress in plain clothes and work in teams--one will jump out into the crosswalk to see if you'll stop. I consider this entrapment, and they seem annoyed if you actually do see them and stop.

I have no particular fondness for the local police.
Old 13 May 2014, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachlife! View Post
What country did that?
The US did. Rest areas on the Interstate Highway System aren't allowed to have gas stations or restaurants (except on already-existing toll roads that were grandfathered in).
Old 13 May 2014, 05:17 AM

When I traveled to the US I was expecting the patriotic overload and the massive portion sizes so those were no surprise. I found the style of toilets odd, but many countries have different toilets. The gun thing freaked me out... a lot.
What really frustrated me was the tax thing when buying stuff the shear frustration of not having the final price marked on the item drove me bonkers, it felt like everyone was just trying to rip me off by changing the price.
The thing that surprised me the most....
Strewth, none of you yanks could understand anything an ocker shelia was rabbiting on about, I was yabbering in the Queens own just like you cobbers but all I got back was a bunch of stunned mullets. Bloody oath made me think you were all just taking the piss.
Old 13 May 2014, 05:31 AM

Quote:
The phrase “African-American” was weird to a Canadian. He said “no one here says “African-Canadian.”
This reminds me of an exchange student I once met from Kenya. She got incredibly annoyed by being called African American all the time.

And she thought the lack of large wild herd animals was really weird.
Old 13 May 2014, 07:06 AM

Glasses

I guess she never saw the Canada geese here....
Old 13 May 2014, 07:17 AM

we don't eat our national animal. The Maori hunted and ate kiwi before the Europeans arrived. But I don't think they do anymore - the various species are all protected.

I have seen those holes in handbasins here to prevent overflow.

There are many showers here [ours included] that you can't adjust the water pressure on.

We are also the only country other than the USA that advertises prescription drugs on TV.
Old 13 May 2014, 11:45 AM

I didn't understand the shower thing. Hotels may have showers that don't adjust the flow, but most people, in their own homes, can absolutely adjust the shower pressure (with mine, it's a "use more water or less" thing).
Old 13 May 2014, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandgroper View Post
The thing that surprised me the most....
Strewth, none of you yanks could understand anything an ocker shelia was rabbiting on about, I was yabbering in the Queens own just like you cobbers but all I got back was a bunch of stunned mullets. Bloody oath made me think you were all just taking the piss.
Hah, I got all of that except 'ocker', but I think I see what your problem was - you were only talking with people with mullets.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
This reminds me of an exchange student I once met from Kenya. She got incredibly annoyed by being called African American all the time.
I heard the tape of an American announcer talking about an event in S. Africa getting very confused trying to describe a person as a black South African, when he had been conditioned to never describe American black people as 'black', and instead to use 'African American' - he eventually came to saying 'African African-American', IIRC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
And she thought the lack of large wild herd animals was really weird.
What, she avoided all the Democrats!?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avril View Post
I didn't understand the shower thing. Hotels may have showers that don't adjust the flow, but most people, in their own homes, can absolutely adjust the shower pressure (with mine, it's a "use more water or less" thing).
I think a number of the 'observations' are based only on hotel experiences. I am half-surprised we did not see a comment about headboards bolted to the wall.
Old 13 May 2014, 12:35 PM

A lot of them would only seem unusual to somebody who hasn't travelled much outside their home country (wherever that may be) - some may be peculiar to the USA, but a lot of them are common in other countries too, although clearly not all countries.

Here's a conversation with a French woman (reported by an American writer) who thinks Americans are weird because of their attitudes to sex (somewhat NFBSK):

http://www.theguardian.com/commentis...limited-to-men
Old 13 May 2014, 01:53 PM

9. Aerosol Cheese. And that is what makes this country awesome!!!!

Easy Cheese is one of my guilty pleasures. The thought of it is mildly disturbing, but it is so good!